United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 20-09-2009, 05:40 PM
Horst_ Bucholst

Default Re: Ryan Giggs is the the best player ever to play for Manchester United

dennis irwin

Unread 20-09-2009, 06:16 PM
Cheesesof Nazareth

Default Re: Ryan Giggs is the the best player ever to play for Manchester United

I think we're just getting a bit giddy after the result today... fair play... giggs is awesome.... 2nd half; made Richards look like he shouldn't be playing at this level; the ball for Owen's goal... I loved it.. but it's all hype as we've just beaten our local rivals AND the little argie bargie @#%&! GiveMeCashez

I, unfortunately wasn't lucky enough to see Edwards nor Best in the flesh... Ronaldo was and still is class... but better than Best? really...? after the video's I've seen; the talk from the people that witnessed the grass he played on... I would say Best was better...

but I still £#%&!ing love Ryan "Wilson and turned down Citeh" Giggs

Unread 20-09-2009, 06:22 PM
Zorg

I think that was the best display I've ever seen from Giggs in the second half.

I didn't think he played that well in the first half.

But that second half more than made up for it and it was a joy to watch.

Unread 20-09-2009, 06:30 PM
thatsfuctit

the pass for owen was sublime, eye of a needle stuff in the absolute battle, when most of us are thinking / screaming 'hit it', Owen did well, pulling away from whoever was meant to be marking him, Striker's brain.

Unread 20-09-2009, 06:32 PM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsfuctit
the pass for owen was sublime, eye of a needle stuff in the absolute battle, when most of us are thinking / screaming 'hit it', Owen did well, pulling away from whoever was meant to be marking him, Striker's brain.
on the replay Owen was screaming for it, 2 seconds later he was wheeling away

Unread 20-09-2009, 06:32 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsfuctit
I think we should be thanking Micah Richards for wandering off and paying absolutely no attention to Owen whatsoever as well.

Unread 20-09-2009, 06:34 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
I think we should be thanking Micah Richards for wandering off and paying absolutely no attention to Owen whatsoever as well.
He had a blinder didn't he

Unread 20-09-2009, 06:40 PM
Charlestown Rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri Jaffa
Who is better?

Who has given more pleasure, joy and trophies?

Nobody

[SIZE="1"]Maybe I am a little giddy after the game
It's not just about trophies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Baroo
he is absolute fantastic but best was better and in his short time so was ronaldo
Correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gog Coch
Yup, thats what clinches it by a mile. Unbelievable and I saw Duncan Edwards.
You saw Billy £#%&!ing Meredith you silly old @#%&!. Bingo starts at seven btw.

Unread 20-09-2009, 07:05 PM
borsuk

“When I used to hear Muhammad Ali proclaim to the world that he was the greatest, I would always smile,” he has explained.

“The greatest of them all was a footballer named Duncan Edwards.”

jimmy murphy

"He was the best player I’ve ever seen and the best footballer I ever played with."

"The only player that made me feel inferior, I always felt I could compare well with any player — except Duncan. He was such a talent, I always felt inferior to him"

sir bobby

"Duncan had everything. He was so big, so strong, so confident and still so young. Right from the start we gave up trying to spot flaws in his game.”
sir matt

"There is no doubt in my mind that Duncan would have become the greatest player ever. Not just in British football, with United and England, but the best in the world. George Best was something special, as was Pelé and Maradona, but in my mind Duncan was much better in terms of all-round ability and skill"
tommy doc

not claiming to have ever seen him myself but it's rare there is such unanimity in judging a player. everybody who saw him seems to be in awe.

Unread 20-09-2009, 07:07 PM
tatty

Take the Giggs v Ronaldo comparison.

If the criteria was picking the player you'd rather have over 15 seasons you'd choose one.

If the criteria was picking the player to give you a one-off season then you'd pick the other.

It's why trying to pick a 'best xi' is a waste of thinking time.

Unread 20-09-2009, 07:09 PM
thatsfuctit

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
“When I used to hear Muhammad Ali proclaim to the world that he was the greatest, I would always smile,” he has explained.

“The greatest of them all was a footballer named Duncan Edwards.”

jimmy murphy

"He was the best player I’ve ever seen and the best footballer I ever played with."

"The only player that made me feel inferior, I always felt I could compare well with any player — except Duncan. He was such a talent, I always felt inferior to him"

sir bobby

"Duncan had everything. He was so big, so strong, so confident and still so young. Right from the start we gave up trying to spot flaws in his game.”
sir matt

"There is no doubt in my mind that Duncan would have become the greatest player ever. Not just in British football, with United and England, but the best in the world. George Best was something special, as was Pelé and Maradona, but in my mind Duncan was much better in terms of all-round ability and skill"
tommy doc

not claiming to have ever seen him myself but it's rare there is such unanimity in judging a player. everybody who saw him seems to be in awe.

seen a few of those quotes before mate, good stuff, easy to argue that he obviously and tragically never achieved his potential, but so much of what was written about him, by people you'd respect United, or otherwise, is unequivical in the view that he was destined to be the best.

Unread 20-09-2009, 07:24 PM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
Take the Giggs v Ronaldo comparison.

If the criteria was picking the player you'd rather have over 15 seasons you'd choose one.

If the criteria was picking the player to give you a one-off season then you'd pick the other.

It's why trying to pick a 'best xi' is a waste of thinking time.
Its true

Its a horrible call, I would struggle to pick a 2008 Ronaldo over a 1994 Giggs though...

Unread 20-09-2009, 07:25 PM
Harri Jaffa

When I say 'best' I just mean the amount of time, skill, and pure unadulterated goodness he has brought to the club

Surely nobody has brought more?

Unread 20-09-2009, 07:27 PM
Charlestown Rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri Jaffa
When I say 'best' I just mean the amount of time, skill, and pure unadulterated goodness he has brought to the club

Surely nobody has brought more?
Only Julie Andrews in Mary Poppins.

Unread 20-09-2009, 07:29 PM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestown Rouge
Only Julie Andrews in Mary Poppins.
True

Unread 20-09-2009, 08:12 PM
shadowplay

Who gives a @#%&!ting £#%&! if he's been the best, or who has been the best?

He's a tremendous £#%&!ing footballer at a tremendous club, who have had a history of producing and shaping tremendous players for years.

Unread 20-09-2009, 08:31 PM
Pudge_Bear

I was discussing Giggs with someone the other day, he claimed Giggs would not be in his top 20 sportsman of all time. What he couldnt do was tell me 20 sportsman who had been at the top of their sport for 2 decades, not only that, but been ludicrously successful throughout 2 decades. There aren't £#%&!ing many. I see it as an honour and a pleasure every time I see him play these days. Legend, no other word for him.

Unread 20-09-2009, 08:38 PM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudge_Bear
I was discussing Giggs with someone the other day, he claimed Giggs would not be in his top 20 sportsman of all time. What he couldnt do was tell me 20 sportsman who had been at the top of their sport for 2 decades, not only that, but been ludicrously successful throughout 2 decades. There aren't £#%&!ing many. I see it as an honour and a pleasure every time I see him play these days. Legend, no other word for him.
I can't think of a single sportman who has done more

Is there any United played who has done more for the club?

Unread 20-09-2009, 08:41 PM
Leroyloverod

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelcountyred
he's a united great, not as good as best but who was, if there was an alltime united X1 he'd be in the team, no doubt about that.
What I was thinking. Spot on. Absolutely love the lad - awesome player on his day. Today you could have been easily mistaken if you thought Terry Phelan was marking him.

Unread 20-09-2009, 09:06 PM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroyloverod
What I was thinking. Spot on. Absolutely love the lad - awesome player on his day. Today you could have been easily mistaken if you thought Terry Phelan was marking him.
lol
Closed Thread