United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 13-08-2009, 04:40 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
93/94, the only team I can remember with a guaranteed first 11, and quality in every position. Pace, power, intelligence, creativity, goals, a rock-solid defence, at least three world-class players and an excellent proportion of nutters.
Tbf, crazy pat evra out nutters all of them.

Unread 13-08-2009, 04:49 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Tbf, crazy pat evra out nutters all of them.
True.

Unread 13-08-2009, 04:50 PM
Tumescent Throb

frustrating as some of it was, trawling through last season's dvds i've been trusted with to edit into one biggie makes interesting viewing.....

66 matches and we played some fantastic football to make it 3 in a row

99/00 was a vintage season as well.

Unread 13-08-2009, 05:01 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
frustrating as some of it was, trawling through last season's dvds i've been trusted with to edit into one biggie makes interesting viewing.....

66 matches and we played some fantastic football to make it 3 in a row

99/00 was a vintage season as well.
Scored a record amount of goals that season didn't we, 97 in the league. And finished a mind boggling 18 points clear! Winning 13 games away from home as well. Fantastic.

Unread 13-08-2009, 05:02 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Scored a record amount of goals that season didn't we, 97 in the league. And finished a mind boggling 18 points clear! Winning 13 games away from home as well. Fantastic.
And Fergie became the first manager to win 3 titles on the spin.

Yet that whole season was barely ever mentioned ever again.

Unread 13-08-2009, 05:05 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
And Fergie became the first manager to win 3 titles on the spin.
Yet that whole season was barely ever mentioned ever again.
Actually that was 2000/01. When we basically cantered over the line, culminating in that rubbish game against derby & the £#%&!est title celebrations ever.

Unread 13-08-2009, 05:07 PM
n48

I think that 93/4 was the first best side we had in my time and will always have a place in my heart but the 98/9 side was the first which gave me the confidence that we could really do it in on a European stage.

Unread 13-08-2009, 05:07 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Actually that was 2000/01. When we basically cantered over the line, culminating in that rubbish game against derby & the £#%&!est title celebrations ever.
Oh yeah

Unread 13-08-2009, 05:08 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by n48
I think that 93/4 was the first best side we had in my time and will always have a place in my heart but the 98/9 side was the first which gave me the confidence that we could really do it in on a European stage.
Our 1996/7 european cup run gave me that. We should have deffo won it that season.

Unread 13-08-2009, 05:09 PM
n48

Was that the B Dortmund semi and that defender who stopped everything?

Unread 13-08-2009, 05:10 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
everyone just got bored and started soft-pedalling - the only time I can remember a Ferguson side coasting

if the RvN signing had gone through in 2000 history would shine far more brightly on the 2000-2006 United imo

Unread 13-08-2009, 05:11 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by n48
yes, we got mugged over those 2 games. Nicky butt hitting the post in germany still £#%&!ing haunts me.

Unread 13-08-2009, 05:13 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by n48
Mathias Sammer
Jurgen Kohler

@#%&!s.

Unread 13-08-2009, 06:40 PM
The Watcher

The 1994 side will always have a special place in my heart. I was at just the right age for all the players to be heroes to me...none more so then Eric Cantona, my favorite ever United player. A great side.

However, nostalgia aside, it was found out (quite comprehensively) on the biggest stage. The 1999 side is the best imo - played equally great football, but didn't just do it domestically. The 3-3 at the Camp Nou is probably the greatest game I'll ever see a United side involved in. Even our 2008 vintage (a truly great side that the media have done their best to ignore) went there and basically held out for 0-0. Hardly the 'United Way'.

That whole season 98/99 season was £#%&!ing ridiculous really

2006/07 was completely unexpected. I went into it hoping for a decent Cup run, but instead got a glorious League Championship! At times the football was truly beautiful. I kept telling myself all season we wouldn't win so as not to get my hopes up and be ultimately disappointed. 1-1 at Fulham in the dying minutes, I told myself this was it, this is when Chelsea would catch us. Then Ronnie gets that ridiculous winner and I'm on the blower to my Old Man singing "we're gunna win the League" 7-1 against Roma...what a £#%&!ing night. The home leg against Milan too. Even in our European Cup win in 08 and subsequent run to last seasons final, we never had classics like those two games

Unread 13-08-2009, 06:42 PM
The Watcher

btw, can we all please pretend those Dortmund games never happened

Unread 13-08-2009, 06:46 PM
thrills_pills_bellyaches

94 shades it because of Erics individual genius

Unread 13-08-2009, 06:52 PM
wee man

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
The 1994 side will always have a special place in my heart. I was at just the right age for all the players to be heroes to me...none more so then Eric Cantona, my favorite ever United player. A great side.

However, nostalgia aside, it was found out (quite comprehensively) on the biggest stage. The 1999 side is the best imo - played equally great football, but didn't just do it domestically. The 3-3 at the Camp Nou is probably the greatest game I'll ever see a United side involved in. Even our 2008 vintage (a truly great side that the media have done their best to ignore) went there and basically held out for 0-0. Hardly the 'United Way'.

That whole season 98/99 season was £#%&!ing ridiculous really

2006/07 was completely unexpected. I went into it hoping for a decent Cup run, but instead got a glorious League Championship! At times the football was truly beautiful. I kept telling myself all season we wouldn't win so as not to get my hopes up and be ultimately disappointed. 1-1 at Fulham in the dying minutes, I told myself this was it, this is when Chelsea would catch us. Then Ronnie gets that ridiculous winner and I'm on the blower to my Old Man singing "we're gunna win the League" 7-1 against Roma...what a £#%&!ing night. The home leg against Milan too. Even in our European Cup win in 08 and subsequent run to last seasons final, we never had classics like those two games
surely it was handicapped by that daft foreign players rule at the time which counted any non-English as foreigners. I rermember Schmeichel being left out at the Nou Camp.

Unread 13-08-2009, 07:00 PM
dunk

It's a tough one.

The team from the first seven months of 97-98 season was £#%&!ing amazing. if not for the ridiculous injuries we would be talking about that side as one of the best imo.

The 93-94 double team was amazing, of that there is no doubt and it is definitely up there.

The treble winning side and title hat-trick side are ridiculously underrated. They absolutely pissed the league for 2 years, giving everyone a leathering along the way, and but for a shit/midget goalkeepers probably would've had 2-3 CL's.

But for me the side from 2006-07 edges it, the exuberance of the whole team and the fact we were watching the uninhibited emergence of something truly, truly great in the understanding between Rooney and Ronaldo, the swansong of Ole, the re-emergence of Scholes and the final, finished article of probably the finest back 5 I recall seeing outside of Milan. Pace, directness, panache, intelligence and an unrivaled drive and desire. It was a £#%&!ing fantastic season. And it came from nowhere, we were finished going into that season in most eyes.

Unread 13-08-2009, 07:14 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
had it on vhs aswell as watching the games with my uncle in b-ton.
Barnton? I grew up there

Unread 13-08-2009, 07:14 PM
Sparky***

Just waiting for Jizza Jazza to show up now and tell us about his favourite side from the 1957 season.
Closed Thread