United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 22-09-2009, 01:59 PM
wiganste

Default The Liverpool 4 Newcastle 3 game

that has been lauded as the greatest premiership game ever. I've always thought we've had a raw deal with that. The 5-3 at Spurs was surely better? To come back from 3-0 at half time to win it is incredible. The 4-2 at Arsenal was another top quality game and doesn't get the credit it deserves. I think we've had a few games every year that have bettered that (City away 3-2, West Ham away 5-3 to name a couple)

Does the Manchester derby elevate itself above that Liv-New game now? Bearing in mind all the hype that surrounded it, the Tevez saga, Mark Hughes mouthing it, Fergie calling them the noisy neighbours, the controversy, the injury time winner etc. Will we see a more exciting game this season? I don't think we will.

Unread 22-09-2009, 02:07 PM
Sparky***

Default Re: The Liverpool 4 Newcastle 3 game

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
that has been lauded as the greatest premiership game ever. I've always thought we've had a raw deal with that. The 5-3 at Spurs was surely better? To come back from 3-0 at half time to win it is incredible. The 4-2 at Arsenal was another top quality game and doesn't get the credit it deserves. I think we've had a few games every year that have bettered that (City away 3-2, West Ham away 5-3 to name a couple)

Does the Manchester derby elevate itself above that Liv-New game now? Bearing in mind all the hype that surrounded it, the Tevez saga, Mark Hughes mouthing it, Fergie calling them the noisy neighbours, the controversy, the injury time winner etc. Will we see a more exciting game this season? I don't think we will.
There's probably a few games that have been just as good as that 4-3 at anfield in 1996. Obviously, I'm going to be completely biased when I say of course sunday was better.

Unread 22-09-2009, 02:11 PM
Smeggs

i'd be baised too.

i think the hype before that 2-4 at highbury was actually more intense than before sunday.

Unread 22-09-2009, 02:13 PM
Signor Whippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste

Tbf, that was the game that crucified Kevin Keegan and ended their chances. The game was good but I think the hype and the repercussions made it a game that everyone will remember. I would (just) rate this game above last weekends derby because there was more at stake.

*puts tin hat on*

Unread 22-09-2009, 02:14 PM
marlo

arsenal vs spurs 4 -4 is up there.

Unread 22-09-2009, 02:15 PM
n48

That game at Anfield was much better. Biger personalities involved. At night. Better goals scored and importantly in the eyes of the media much better, more passionate and knowledgable fans.

Unread 22-09-2009, 02:16 PM
J_RED

That Vermin game was Very good tbh was also great from a United POV as it pretty much handed us the title.

Unread 22-09-2009, 02:18 PM
Lok

The 4-2 at the library for me. It had everything: great goals, a sending off, passion and the tunnel 'incident'.

Arsenal have never been the same since.

Unread 22-09-2009, 02:23 PM
carlosartorial

The 3-2 at Maine Road post-Galatasary was better than Sunday.

Unread 22-09-2009, 02:24 PM
dunk

Chelsea vs. Villa 4-4 the other season was a belter.

Unread 22-09-2009, 02:26 PM
dodger

Thumbs up Re: The Liverpool 4 Newcastle 3 game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
The 4-2 at the library for me. It had everything: great goals, a sending off, passion and the tunnel 'incident'.

Good point

Unread 22-09-2009, 03:12 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok

That Arsenal side had a policy of complaining that the only way that Utd could play them was to kick them off the pitch. That game proved once and for all, and on their home patch, that that theory was nothing more than self pitying rationalizing. Great game and for me showed Utd the way beyond relying on RVN. Had a very mobile attack in the spell up to that match, Giggs, Ronaldo and Rooney all interchanging and we looked a far better team.

As to the subject matter, the 3-3 with Barca at the Nou Camp is probably the most exciting game Fergie's Utd have been involved in, end to end, with great individual performances from Rivaldo and Figo for Barca and Cole, Yorke and Beckham for Utd.

The 2-2 at Highbury in 02/03 was a great match, drama, a real edge and quality from both sides. That rivalry between those 2 sides at that time was the most intense I can remember. Off the pitch it has been Liverpool, but between the players that fixture has been the one to really cause a huge intensity. It has fallen away in the last 5 years, something of a pity really, because I do not think there is the same energy between our players and those of either Liverpool or Chelsea.

4-3 against Madrid. Brilliant attacking performance by Utd, showed such pride and determiantion to keep coming back at them, Barthez let Utd down so badly over those 2 legs, switch the keepers and we might have won comfortably, I think the stats showed that we had 3 times as many shots on target over the 2 legs. Barthez was at fault for at least 3 of there 6 goasl.

Unread 22-09-2009, 03:13 PM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Chelsea vs. Villa 4-4 the other season was a belter.
There 4-4 at White Hart Lane was even better a few days before we thumped the Vermin 3-0

Unread 22-09-2009, 03:16 PM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
The 2-2 at Highbury in 02/03 was a great match, drama, a real edge and quality from both sides. That rivalry between those 2 sides at that time was the most intense I can remember. Off the pitch it has been Liverpool, but between the players that fixture has been the one to really cause a huge intensity. It has fallen away in the last 5 years, something of a pity really, because I do not think there is the same energy between our players and those of either Liverpool or Chelsea.
I still say that 2-2 At Highbury is the tensest game of football ive ever watched, and the crowd was incredibly tense too, you could feel it from watching on tv. Even more so than Barca@Ot in April 08 for me. I was shitting it for days going into that Arsenal game, I loathed that team, and deep down a small part of me thought we were going to get 'found out' that night after our great run of results.

Unread 22-09-2009, 03:16 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
There 4-4 at White Hart Lane was even better a few days before we thumped the Vermin 3-0
Yeah that was a good 'un.

Westam vs. Spurs 3-4 was quality too.

Unread 22-09-2009, 03:20 PM
marlo

cant believe no one has mentioned...

aston villa vs portsmouth

Unread 22-09-2009, 03:22 PM
carlosartorial

Thumbs up Re: The Liverpool 4 Newcastle 3 game

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
cant believe no one has mentioned...

aston villa vs portsmouth

I was waiting for it after the mentions of the villa-chelsea and west ham-spurs 'classics'. Gonna dig out the dvd of both of them beauties soon.

Unread 22-09-2009, 03:34 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
I still say that 2-2 At Highbury is the tensest game of football ive ever watched, and the crowd was incredibly tense too, you could feel it from watching on tv. Even more so than Barca@Ot in April 08 for me. I was shitting it for days going into that Arsenal game, I loathed that team, and deep down a small part of me thought we were going to get 'found out' that night after our great run of results.
I was always worried by that Arsenal side, tremendous pace on the break, Henry, Pires and Bergkamp gave them such a threat going forward, tough in midfield. You knew that Utd would have to be bang on to deal with them, they probably gelt much of the same, one of the reasons why the games had such a frisson.

But that game was notable for the intense nature, RVN with a brilliant goal on the break, then Arsenal get the scrappy equalizer, Henry offside puts them ahead, and just as you think that the season is slipping Ole crosses it to Giggs at the far post for an immediate reply. Fergie on the pitch afterwards knowing that it was a huge result.

Incredible run of form to end that season, the 6-2 at Newcastle, 4-0 against Liverpool, a memorable season all round.

Unread 22-09-2009, 04:18 PM
Fatifudge

What about Everton away April 2007.... 2 down 25 mins left championship slipping away..........got to be up there and then Everton in feb 05, 3 up back to 3 all RVN last min...classic

Unread 22-09-2009, 04:21 PM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatifudge
What about Everton away April 2007.... 2 down 25 mins left championship slipping away..........got to be up there and then Everton in feb 05, 3 up back to 3 all RVN last min...classic
FA Cup against Villa in 01/02 was a cracker. 2-0 15 minutes to go and Ruud ripped them to bits, £#%&!ing brilliant.
Closed Thread