United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 23-04-2008, 09:17 PM
MUFC One Love

Default Why was one of the best strikers about.

Doing a job that an average player could have done. Run up and down the line stopping them.

I think the fact that Rooney wants to work so hard for the team works against him sometimes.

Barca must have been pissing themselves seeing Rooney play out-wide for his full duration on the pitch. It can work when he has more freedom but tonight it was a joke, completely just stuck on the wing chasing people.

I actually think Ronaldo would have terrified Abidal and Rooney would have terrified them central.

Unread 23-04-2008, 09:21 PM
Fatboy Shrek

Yep. Incredible. I said in another thread Kevin Kilbane could have done the same job. When Quieroz takes over Rooney will be a fully fledged full back away in Europe. It must be incredibly frustrating for the lad and the team looked completely lost without him up top. No real attacking shape or direction.

Unread 23-04-2008, 09:21 PM
Rhodzy

I really feel sorry for Rooney.

Unread 23-04-2008, 09:24 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
Doing a job that an average player could have done. .

Because Fergie bottled it.

Unread 23-04-2008, 09:24 PM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodzy
I really feel sorry for Rooney.
Yep. Maybe if he didn't chase back as much for the team and just threw his hands up and stood offside for ages moaning about a decision he'd get to play in his position.

Unread 23-04-2008, 09:26 PM
Fatboy Shrek

Quote:
Yep. Maybe if he didn't chase back as much for the team and just threw his hands up and stood offside for ages moaning about a decision he'd get to play in his position.
I know. I £#%&!ing wish that ponce would just £#%&! off to Madrid. We'd be untouchable if we got him out of the way.

Unread 23-04-2008, 09:27 PM
marlo stansfield

Quote:
or maybe if ronaldo wasnt better in rooneys position that rooney.

Unread 23-04-2008, 09:27 PM
JakeB

Shhh..why play Tevez and Rooney up front when you can play them on the wing and just infront of the midfield?? Silly sods.

Unread 23-04-2008, 09:28 PM
JakeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo stansfield
or maybe if ronaldo wasnt better in rooneys position that rooney.
Didnt really show that tonight did he

Unread 23-04-2008, 09:28 PM
chorleyred

you can't blame carlos, fergie is the manager

Unread 23-04-2008, 09:29 PM
chorleyred

name me a striker that ronaldo isn't better than at the moment

Unread 23-04-2008, 09:29 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by chorleyred
you can't blame carlos, fergie is the manager
since when?

Unread 23-04-2008, 09:31 PM
Camel

rooney subbed; was it because he was still carrying the injury from bburn game? if it was for not having an impact tonight i'd be £#%&!ing livid. i was screaming for him to switch wings let alone play upfront.

what a missed opportunity.

Unread 23-04-2008, 09:34 PM
marlo stansfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by chorleyred
name me a striker that ronaldo isn't better than at the moment
drogba,adebayor and maybe torres.

what i mean by this is if one of those two were playing. they would be through the middle with ronaldo out wide.

if rooney was better at his actual job (i.e. scoring goals and leading the line UPFRONT) he would be there.

most talk about all the work he does for the team and how he operates alot in midfield etc. abit rich complaining when he isnt picked to the one up top and is picked to do work in midfield

its not a dig at rooney its a fact but most wont admit it.

who is most likely to get a goal for united,who is more likely to pull off defenders and run the channels, whose finishing is the best ay united?
that player will no doubt be chosen to play as the lone striker.

thats a fact.

i love roonedont get me wrong and in time he will improve on all those areas although at the moment it seems as if he is going backwards as opposed to forwards. even rooney biggest fans will have to admit it.

i remember a post on ri about united ruining rooney. not saying its true but its a valid question.

i remember a game we were drawing at ot against portsmouth on 5-15 kick off and the ball broke to rooney in the last 5 or so minutes and he control,touch, technique was first class and the commentator said the united faithful have no doubt in the minds about the outcome and this was before he scored...
think about him now.

just want him to go back to playing uptop and doing his job.

Unread 23-04-2008, 09:40 PM
MUFC One Love

Marlo, we both know Rooney plays out wide in big European games 'cos he tracks back. Ronaldo isn't that type of player, hence giving him the free role up front.

Ronaldo is an attacking midfielder/winger and is the best at it, he replaces Rooney so Rooney can chase back.

If your referring to taking chances, we had a decent one in the first couple of minutes.

Unread 23-04-2008, 09:43 PM
MUFC One Love

Oh, and Rooney is brilliant at running defenders everywhere and dragging them to different places. Funnily enough Ronaldo got most of his joy tonight when he received the ball outwide, they didn't know what to do with him, just a shame Fergie couldn't see that/didn't want to see it.

Unread 23-04-2008, 09:44 PM
marlo stansfield

Quote:
Marlo, we both know Rooney plays out wide in big European games 'cos he tracks back. Ronaldo isn't that type of player, hence giving him the free role up front.

Ronaldo is an attacking midfielder/winger and is the best at it, he replaces Rooney so Rooney can chase back.

If your referring to taking chances, we had a decent one in the first couple of minutes.
im not trying to slag off wayne rooney but this playing on the left in europe is ruining him imo.

how many times now in league games have you seen rooney picking up the ball in the left back position etc...
think of him in his debut for united in the ecl, his early performances for england in euro 2004(barring the france game) and his performances when ruud was out injured. there was no association with the left wing etc...

just hope next season he starts playing in his proper position as a striker etc.

Unread 23-04-2008, 09:44 PM
Red Caz

Quote:
drogba,adebayor and maybe torres.
I thought you didn't drink

Which Marlo is this??

Unread 23-04-2008, 09:47 PM
Camel

Quote:
im not trying to slag off wayne rooney but this playing on the left in europe is ruining him imo.

how many times now in league games have you seen rooney picking up the ball in the left back position etc...
think of him in his debut for united in the ecl, his early performances for england in euro 2004(barring the france game) and his performances when ruud was out injured. there was no association with the left wing etc...

just hope next season he starts playing in his proper position as a striker etc.
agreed, let's start playing the game we're best at. nothing short of a farce seeing him cover hargreaves tonight. what a £#%&!ing waste.

Unread 23-04-2008, 09:48 PM
MUFC One Love

Quote:

That's my point though. 'Cos he works so hard it's easier for Fergie to stick him out wide to chase back 'cos Ronaldo doesn't really do it, and it's an easier option to stick Ronaldo up front.

Ronaldo is not a striker, he is the best attacking midfielder/winger about, he scores goals from that position 'cos he is the best at it, it doesn't mean he is an out and out striker.

Rooney takes all the knocks etc as a lone striker and runs defenders everywhere, Ronaldo seemed to go down in an over the top manner to often hence why he didn't get much. He would have crucified Abidal/Zambrotta tonight, any time he was out wide he terrified them. To me Fergie takes the easy option and swaps them for safety so there's an extra man (rooney) chasing back.
Closed Thread