United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 09-05-2018, 03:51 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
They have played plenty of games during Mourinho's spell in fairness.

The problem is that neither of them are currently good enough to lead the line on their own, and I don't think either of them are really showing that they will be the solution playing out wide left. And whether they will ever be good enough is something that it up for debate and won't come to fruition for a good few years. Rashford is still showing glaring weaknesses in his game (to be expected to some degree, but there needs to be some indication of progression) and Martial will never get there unless he gains more drive.

Everyone will no doubt be expecting Mourinho to lead a title challenge next season, something he likely won't achieve with our unbalanced options in the final third. Sometimes difficult decisions need to be made, you can't always sacrifice your immediate team for something which may never materialise. Mourinho isn't in the position to do what Fergie did whilst waiting for Rooney and Ronaldo (who lets not forget were infinitely better players than these two), people would be calling for his head (as they were when Fergie actually did it tbf, but we didn't have a trigger happy board) and Fergie rightly had security in his job. I feel one of Martial / Rashford will move on, likely the former and probably for the benefit of himself, the team and Rashford. Shame, as I feel he is the more talented player but is lacking the desire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Excellent post.

No manager in the modern game can sacrifice the present for the future otherwise they’ll have no future. Even back then Fergie knew he had to stack the team with seasoned veterans and become competitive first otherwise he’d have had no platform to invest in youth down the road. Whether the Forest game was the pivotal moment or not, there’s little doubt he was on borrowed time at that point.

It’s a slippery slope to keep making excuses for poor performance and less than stellar work rate. A player should be judged on what he’s doing now -and that doesn’t require being the finished article btw-, not what he might become under different circumstances in an undetermined future.
Sacrificing the present? We're 20 odd points off City and are regarded as the most tediously pragmatic side in the whole league.

Last season we finished 6th, bailed out by cup wins over Southampton and Ajax (the latter Rashford played in)

We have a centre-forward who has 16 league goals despite playing virtually every game.

Lukaku: 16 goals. One goal scored every 179 minutes in the Prem
Morata: 11 goals. One goal scored every 178 minutes in the Prem.

Alexis Sanchez has scored three goals in his fifteen games since he joined.

Would obviously hate to risk developing our young talent and disrupt this sure road to domination we're on

Unread 09-05-2018, 03:54 PM
AK14

Bailed out..

Unread 09-05-2018, 03:59 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Sacrificing the present? We're 20 odd points off City and are regarded as the most tediously pragmatic side in the whole league.

Last season we finished 6th, bailed out by cup wins over Southampton and Ajax (the latter Rashford played in)

We have a centre-forward who has 16 league goals despite playing virtually every game.

Would obviously hate to risk developing our young talent and disrupt this sure road to domination we're on
Wow. Truth nuke from Siders.

Be careful pal, Trump will be imposing sanctions on you soon if you continue dropping bombs of this magnitude!

Unread 09-05-2018, 04:00 PM
Coracao

Quote:

Do you expect the manager to deliver a title challenge next season?

Unread 09-05-2018, 04:06 PM
Ethers

Quote:
If you listen to certain people on here he delivered one this season.

Unread 09-05-2018, 04:08 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
If you listen to certain people on here he delivered one this season.
Is this where we’re supposed to ask you to name names?

Unread 09-05-2018, 04:08 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
I assume by expect to you mean I think it's the least he should do, rather than what I think will happen.

Answer is probably yes, albeit I think it's a huge ask. If we got nearer, playing great football and developing young talent, I'd take it. I'm very aware that we might need to wait Guardiola out, which is depressing but you have to be somewhat realistic.

But we've wasted young players for two years unnecessarily. I fail to believe giving Rashford a few chances as a striker this season (and other young talent) would have jeopardised our top four finish. Or 6th last year. We have the second best squad in the league.

Unlike others, I don't really know where Rashford is at as a striker these days. As he very rarely plays there. Would've been good to spend the last couple of years getting a better idea, rather than sporadic appearances on the left, and dropping him even when he does well.

Unread 09-05-2018, 04:15 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Is this where we’re supposed to ask you to name names?
Kevin, Eddie, Lars, Padraig have all said we’ve been good enough to win the title or come very close if it weren’t for City’s ‘freak’ of a season

Unread 09-05-2018, 04:17 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Kevin, Eddie, Lars, Padraig have all said we’ve been good enough to win the title or come very close if it weren’t for City’s ‘freak’ of a season
Usual suspects.

Hope Akkers apologises very swiftly.

Unread 09-05-2018, 04:19 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Usual suspects.

He usually does tbf.

I’ve seen more AKers apologies than Lukaku goals this year.

Unread 09-05-2018, 04:24 PM
Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:
He usually does tbf.

Ffs

Unread 09-05-2018, 04:25 PM
Coracao

Quote:
I assume by expect to you mean I think it's the least he should do, rather than what I think will happen.

Answer is probably yes, albeit I think it's a huge ask. If we got nearer, playing great football and developing young talent, I'd take it. I'm very aware that we might need to wait Guardiola out, which is depressing but you have to be somewhat realistic.

But we've wasted young players for two years unnecessarily. I fail to believe giving Rashford a few chances as a striker this season (and other young talent) would have jeopardised our top four finish. Or 6th last year. We have the second best squad in the league.

Unlike others, I don't really know where Rashford is at as a striker these days. As he very rarely plays there. Would've been good to spend the last couple of years getting a better idea, rather than sporadic appearances on the left, and dropping him even when he does well.
Wasted young players? I don't quite understand where this is coming from. Rashford has played over 100 games over the past two seasons, there aren't many 'elite' clubs giving that kind of opportunity to a 19/20 year old in those areas of the pitch. He isn't getting regular games at centre forward as he still seems some way short of playing there to a good level, something which the management team you would hope see far more than us on a daily basis in training.

Unread 09-05-2018, 04:25 PM
AK14

Quote:
He usually does tbf.

Tbf you have been to quite a few kids parties this year pal, so no surprise you missed a few of the big mans goals.

Unread 09-05-2018, 04:28 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Tbf you have been to quite a few kids parties this year pal, so no surprise you missed a few of the big mans goals.
Jesus

Unread 09-05-2018, 04:32 PM
AK14

Thumbs up

Quote:
Usual suspects.

Quote:
He usually does tbf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazlo Panaflex
Ffs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Jesus
Just so easy

Have a good one lads.

Unread 09-05-2018, 04:32 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Wish I was as top a red as you tbf pal.

Quote:
Been out all day and totally forgot about the game (), but great to see big rommers silent the doubters

How'd we play?

Unread 09-05-2018, 04:33 PM
saffers

BB rallying the troops

They desperate for that chelsea win in the final, can smell the hate for mou

Unread 09-05-2018, 04:35 PM
AK14

Quote:
Wish I was as top a red as you tbf pal.

You’ve had that one bookmarked haven’t you?

indeed...

Unread 09-05-2018, 04:36 PM
saffers

Quote:

indeed...
Not a fan of ethers transformation, lvg lads have turned him into everything he once despised. Sad to see what has happened to a once fine institution of fred....

Unread 09-05-2018, 04:37 PM
Ethers

Quote:

indeed...
I replied to you on the thread pal. I have this thing called a memory, that allows me to do incredible feats like remember conversations, or that United are playing etc.
Closed Thread