United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 15-10-2022, 03:00 PM
NedKelly

Default Youth football referees say "a matter of time" before someone is killed amid abuse

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...say-a-28244084

Quote:
The abuse at grassroots level is unbelievable. The parents are horrendous, sometimes they want to kill you. The youngest player to shout at me was 12 years of age, calling me a ‘bag of sh**’. In my opinion, it’s a matter of time before someone is killed. I could have been killed.
I shouldn’t laugh but this article is piss funny.

Bunks, what’s your take on this? Do you worry for the safety of refs at youth games?

Unread 15-10-2022, 03:13 PM
Bunker Buster

I'm currently in my 4th year as manager / have reffed a few
U10's

It's not really that bad depending on who you play.....

Did send an opposition manager off last year as he continued to swear at me (we were smashing them 10-2)

Depends in the team but the players attitude to calls and free kicks stems from the managers and parents behaviour, we have one dirty player, he's from the care community, comes off each week saying it's not far, he quits, sick of getting kicked etc, but it's because he's very skill full and has a mouth on him....

Seen a result in the group last week 22-4 or something, team Infront of us today got beat 16 - 0 you just don't do it to lads at that age, turn it in, why you still encouraging football abuse....

I try not to lose my rag, but cup games can get a bit tasty, played a team from Salford and they were celebrating like it was the world cup....

Also had to stop our lads doing Fortnite dances after scoring

Mixed bag, can see how it could turn at 11/12 years old, suppose right now we're on the cusp....

Refs get paid at this level £20 normally a teen-ager nerd trying to find his two left feet in the game, full kit and fake ear pieces...

If the adults behave the kids will, but it's a passionate game....

Drew 2-2 today btw, a parent said "I'd have paid to watch that"

Bunks - Level 2 FA coach of the year

Unread 15-10-2022, 03:24 PM
Stickman

When I was playing 12’s, (‘95) the top of the table clash we had was absurd for it. Absolutely mental looking back how our manager spoke to us too about “snapping” certain lads in the opposition team etc in the team talks. Those instructions would start at training ahead of the match too.

The parents were ridiculous at the actual match. I thought it was great atmosphere and experience at the time but it was completely wrong looking back. It got completely rubbed in our faces if we lost and opposition management seemed to have no problem with their team singing abusive songs about our manager in the changing rooms after, proper vile stuff.

12s was actually the peak for all that nonsense for me through to U18s though I probably desensitised as growing up you just shrugged it off even more

I doubt Aberdeen has been very progressive here but who knows.

Unread 15-10-2022, 04:11 PM
redhegemony

The problems are the parents and the coaches. The abuse of referees is an absolute disgrace and if they could see themselves they would be ashamed.

Coaches trying to win at all costs and running up brutal scores should lead to clubs stopping them coaching but there aren't enough coaches. Ifthe team is winning easily a good coach changes things round to try kids in different roles which helps their overall development.

My son gave up refereeing because of the abuse he got from parents and he's a tough lad who played rugby.

Unread 15-10-2022, 04:17 PM
Bunker Buster

If a team goes 4 up at this level you can bring an extra player in, but running in 20+ is pathetic...

I'd have brought off the good players and told them to turn it in....

Apparently their coach was screaming "keep going, more, destroy them" etc....

Unread 15-10-2022, 04:17 PM
Fat Al

Ref at one of my lads games threaten to report me to the local F.A. for saying "I wish we'd had that ref from last week" to another parent, walking back to the car.

(Ref from the previous week was absolutely ace - When he blew for something, he took the time to exlpain why he blew, e.g., if it was for a foul throw-in, he'd show the kid what he did wrong & how to get it right the next time. Really helpful to young lads learning the game).

Unread 15-10-2022, 04:31 PM
Ted7

My lad plays under 11's.

The young refs male/female tend to be great.

The other other week an old man ref commented on my two pups having a bit of a row, during the match, saying to all those dogs shouldnt be here.
The match was on a public park.

It's the failed power hungry (prob ex-copper) old guys that are a big problem.

Unread 15-10-2022, 07:36 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
I'm currently in my 4th year as manager / have reffed a few
U10's

It's not really that bad depending on who you play.....

Did send an opposition manager off last year as he continued to swear at me (we were smashing them 10-2)

Depends in the team but the players attitude to calls and free kicks stems from the managers and parents behaviour, we have one dirty player, he's from the care community, comes off each week saying it's not far, he quits, sick of getting kicked etc, but it's because he's very skill full and has a mouth on him....

Seen a result in the group last week 22-4 or something, team Infront of us today got beat 16 - 0 you just don't do it to lads at that age, turn it in, why you still encouraging football abuse....

I try not to lose my rag, but cup games can get a bit tasty, played a team from Salford and they were celebrating like it was the world cup....

Also had to stop our lads doing Fortnite dances after scoring

Mixed bag, can see how it could turn at 11/12 years old, suppose right now we're on the cusp....

Refs get paid at this level £20 normally a teen-ager nerd trying to find his two left feet in the game, full kit and fake ear pieces...

If the adults behave the kids will, but it's a passionate game....

Drew 2-2 today btw, a parent said "I'd have paid to watch that"

Bunks - Level 2 FA coach of the year

Unread 15-10-2022, 08:28 PM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted7
My lad plays under 11's.

The young refs male/female tend to be great.

The other other week an old man ref commented on my two pups having a bit of a row, during the match, saying to all those dogs shouldnt be here.
The match was on a public park.

It's the failed power hungry (prob ex-copper) old guys that are a big problem.
some referees have a screw loose alright but i’m talking senior football now. Absolutely desperate to make it all about them.

Unread 15-10-2022, 08:52 PM
Bunker Buster

Dogs aren't allowed at kids football, no matter if it's a public space or not, same as parents smoking.....

Standards, safety etc ...

Wouldn't really pick someone up for it, but they aren't allowed in the league we play in....

Unread 15-10-2022, 09:31 PM
puressence

Chaos at the efl league last week u7s match ffs 🤦‍♂️

And what about that @#%&! who played for Swansea and Everton and wales also at
East Manchester u12s be charged ffs he’s a former player captain

Unread 15-10-2022, 09:52 PM
Medlock

My lad plays U10s in the Salford league. The behaviour (players, parents etc.) is pretty good tbf. Better than it was when I was his age.

Unread 15-10-2022, 09:54 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medlock
My lad plays U10s in the Salford league. The behaviour (players, parents etc.) is pretty good tbf. Better than it was when I was his age.
Oooooooo see you in the cup....

£#%&!ing £#%&!er, we'll cut you up, good luck

Unread 15-10-2022, 10:04 PM
Hyman_Roth

We moved my youngest lad to another team in a lower league with his mates as it was ridiculous in the top league - both parents and coaches £#%&!ing idiots.

It’s kids football and the coaches are there vicariously living out some wet dream. Parents thinking they’re in the stretty in the 80’s.

Find it embarrassing.

Team now is a bit semi posh but 100% more respectful. My lad is enjoying it again and so am I.

Unread 15-10-2022, 10:21 PM
Medlock

Quote:
Oooooooo see you in the cup....

£#%&!ing £#%&!er, we'll cut you up, good luck

Think we might already be out . albeit there seems to be quite a few comps. But yeah £#%&! Salford Storm, Moorside, and Swinton...

Unread 16-10-2022, 05:59 AM
shenwen

We just had a code of conduct zoom call for the start of the new season at my eldest' club.

I had already self exiled from games with the previous coach as I had a go at him for being a dick with some of the kids. Screaming at them. I get they need to toughen up and I shouldn't have said anything but they're 12 and 13 years old ffs. Some were in tears.

Clean slate with new coach but still keeping myself from sidelines. Can't be trusted.

Unread 16-10-2022, 01:45 PM
92ToBury

When my lad played junior football the parents were a bigger issue than the kids or managers. One parent got sent to the car park by the ref in a cup match.

Totally agree with the comment earlier from bunks - before they get to 11 a side it's all about given everyone as much game time as possible.

Unread 16-10-2022, 02:24 PM
Ted7

Quote:
Dogs aren't allowed at kids football, no matter if it's a public space or not, same as parents smoking.....

Standards, safety etc ...

Wouldn't really pick someone up for it, but they aren't allowed in the league we play in....
on a lead in a public park? C'mon
A public space is........
Closed Thread