United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 12-06-2007, 09:19 AM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
I agree with all of that, as I say though Torres worries me due to his lack of goals and though he's a bigger risk imo, there's a huge upside for Huntelaar.
Kuyt & Kezman were the last two from the Dutch league to arrive with superb scoring records, don't see Huntelaar doing a Ruud in all honesty, especially if he's not got the arrogance you'd associate with proper strikers.

We've looked that much better with Saha up front so someone with his attributes & a body capable of making it down the stairs every day wouldn't be a bad option imo.

Unread 12-06-2007, 09:24 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron_van_Marlon
Kuyt & Kezman were the last two from the Dutch league to arrive with superb scoring records, don't see Huntelaar doing a Ruud in all honesty, especially if he's not got the arrogance you'd associate with proper strikers.

That's yer risk with Huntelaar, the Dutch league tells you nowt about the quality of a player imo. That unknown, uncoordinated Brazilllian scored about 40 there last year.

Unread 12-06-2007, 09:28 AM
24hr Leavesey

5 million + Smith for Michael Owen - I'm not even kidding

Unread 12-06-2007, 09:30 AM
Baron

he's done well in the couple of International's I've seen as well, but then all of these games are played at a much slower pace than our domestic games. Probably more so our own game next season with the new lads - our team looks £#%&!ing rapid on paper. Carrick aside.

Unread 12-06-2007, 09:31 AM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24hr Leavesey
I'd puke.

Unread 12-06-2007, 09:31 AM
Whalefish

Quote:
www.footballrumours.com

Unread 12-06-2007, 09:32 AM
24hr Leavesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish

It's on there too ! That means it must be true Oh wait,

Unread 12-06-2007, 09:33 AM
Barracuda

The only slight worry about Torres is his scoring rate, for the talent he has it should be better. There may be valid reasons for this, but in general he has the ability to score more regularly.

The team that gets him is not getting the finished article, but they are getting a striker who has absolute huge potential - he has all the tools to his game, but he just seems to be unable to bring it all together on a consistent basis. Whoever solves that will have a magnificent player on their hands.

His performance for Spain against the Ukraine in the World Cup was a glimpse at what he could become, - it was as good a strikers performance as I've seen for a long time ... speed, strength, power, touch, heading, finishing.

If he was in our team, and if he settled quickly and produced somewhere near what he is capable of - we would take an awful lot of stopping.

Him, Rooney, Ronaldo and Anderson in full flow would be quite some proposition to say the least.

Unread 12-06-2007, 09:35 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Any evidence to support this? Oh btw, even if you are right, the price is wrong, Owen can go for £8million and much as Smith isn't highly rated here we'd want more than £3 million for him.

Unread 12-06-2007, 09:37 AM
believe

Whats happening with Anelka?

Unread 12-06-2007, 09:40 AM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
Whats happening with Anelka?
Super Benni is where it should be at.

Unread 12-06-2007, 09:43 AM
24hr Leavesey

Quote:
Any evidence to support this? Oh btw, even if you are right, the price is wrong, Owen can go for £8million and much as Smith isn't highly rated here we'd want more than £3 million for him.

i) Of course not, who am I G.Balague ?

ii) I've heard release clause from £12m - £9m, so £8m is a new one. I really don't think the release clause would be half of his original fee, that's £#%&!ing stupid - but then again, this is Newcastle.

All I know is Smith's a cert to leave, and so is Owen.

Unread 12-06-2007, 09:44 AM
Whalefish

I'll be #@&%! a hoop if/when Smith leaves.

Unread 12-06-2007, 09:47 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
But Reyes was a @#%&!. It only took a £#%&! off tackle by our Gary to bring that slimy @#%&! back down to earth.
He also has severe learning difficulties. He spent two years at Arsenal and barely speaks a word of English, which made it much more difficult for him to settle. I think Torres has much more of an interest in the English game that Reyes ever did. Torres has a genuine ambition to play in the Premiership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barracuda
The only slight worry about Torres is his scoring rate, for the talent he has it should be better. There may be valid reasons for this, but in general he has the ability to score more regularly.

The team that gets him is not getting the finished article, but they are getting a striker who has absolute huge potential - he has all the tools to his game, but he just seems to be unable to bring it all together on a consistent basis. Whoever solves that will have a magnificent player on their hands.

His performance for Spain against the Ukraine in the World Cup was a glimpse at what he could become, - it was as good a strikers performance as I've seen for a long time ... speed, strength, power, touch, heading, finishing.

If he was in our team, and if he settled quickly and produced somewhere near what he is capable of - we would take an awful lot of stopping.

Him, Rooney, Ronaldo and Anderson in full flow would be quite some proposition to say the least.
I wouldn't worry too much about his scoring record. His first couple of seasons at Atletico (and at the World Cup) he showed he knows where the goal is. It also has to be taken into account that Javier Aguirre is a pretty negative coach. His talent and potential is not in question, for me, but there is no doubt he is a different player mentally these days. The only question is whether his recent lack of motivation on the pitch is a reflection of being frustrated at playing at a constantly underachieving and uninspiring club, or part of a bigger personal psychological problem.

Unread 12-06-2007, 09:49 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Super Benni is where it should be at.
Good player but is he the best we could get I wonder?

Unread 12-06-2007, 09:49 AM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
I wouldn't worry too much about his scoring record. His first couple of seasons at Atletico (and at the World Cup) he showed he knows where the goal is. It also has to be taken into account that Javier Aguirre is a pretty negative coach. His talent and potential is not in question, for me, but there is no doubt he is a different player mentally these days. The only question is whether his recent lack of motivation on the pitch is a reflection of being frustrated at playing in a constantly underachieving and uninspiring club, or part of a bigger personal psychological problem.
thought he had a much better 2nd half of the season?

How many's he scored since Jan? Anyone? Bueller?

Unread 12-06-2007, 09:51 AM
24hr Leavesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
He also has severe learning difficulties. He spent two years at Arsenal and barely speaks a word of English, which made it much more difficult for him to settle.
Now you come to mention it, he does have that 'look'

Unread 12-06-2007, 09:52 AM
Whalefish

Quote:
Good player but is he the best we could get I wonder?
I think a £10million+ striker will depend on outgoings. I personally think we'll struggle to offload Saha. I've heard we've received a £6million bid from Lyon. £3million now, the rest over the duration of his contract. Not sure we'd agree to that. There's also the small matter of his current contract. He may want the rest of it paid up before he leaves so a la Barthez we could actually have to pay him to leave. Very pricey.

Not sure how much Utd will generate from other sales but given the outlay so far a move for Anelka or McCarthy would be acceptable IMO. Or certainly reasonable.

Unread 12-06-2007, 09:54 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
I think a £10million+ striker will depend on outgoings. I personally think we'll struggle to offload Saha. I've heard we've received a £6million bid from Lyon. £3million now, the rest over the duration of his contract. Not sure we'd agree to that. There's also the small matter of his current contract. He may want the rest of it paid up before he leaves so a la Barthez we could actually have to pay him to leave. Very pricey.

Not sure how much Utd will generate from other sales but given the outlay so far a move for Anelka or McCarthy would be acceptable IMO. Or certainly reasonable.
Seems like Smith, Heinze and Soul Glo are likely gone, should get £15 million+ for that lot.

Unread 12-06-2007, 09:57 AM
Whalefish

Quote:
Seems like Smith, Heinze and Soul Glo are likely gone, should get £15 million+ for that lot.
Hopefully but I wouldn't count on it. Sadly.
Closed Thread