United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 24-04-2008, 01:27 PM
Smurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
if we can beat barca in a one leg game with home advantage then we're in the cl final. offer me that at the start of the season and i'd have bitten your hand off.

we've got a great chance. if we can't beat barca at old trafford then we don't deserve to go to the final, simple as that.
Sha'Mone!

Now stop yer £#%&!in cribbin!

Unread 24-04-2008, 01:31 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
It's not a great result, but I think we have a slight advantage.

Given Barca's somewhat suspect ability to keep a clean sheet away from home, they may well feel they will have to score twice at Old Trafford to go through. Given that they couldn't create a single clear-cut opportunity in ninety minutes at Camp Nou despite having 65% of possession, I can't see them being overly confident of opening us up twice at OT, especially with Vidic hopefully back in the side.

We also have the advantage of knowing exactly what we need to do. Only a win is good enough. I always think it's good to have a clear objective in these games.
I expect a more adventurous United on Tuesday and with the crowd behind the lads I don't think Barca will be able to cope with us.
Yes I agree. You could see how cagey we were against Roma despite being 2-0 up from the first leg. I think last night proved we are extremely resilient but i just felt that Barca were there for the taking tbh. Milito and Marquez were all over the show and I felt with a touch more tactical awareness from Fergie we could have nicked a goal. I just hope he plays to our strengths next week and we go for the jugular right from the off.

Unread 24-04-2008, 01:35 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

This thread has actually turned out well. I believe an apology should be forthcoming.

Unread 24-04-2008, 01:39 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Silver
The major difference being that I expect/hope United will play a tad more avdenturously than they did last night. The by-product of attacking football being that you leave yourself open at the back...
Of course. I just think that if a top class side came to Old Trafford, let us have the ball for 65% of the game but restricted us to minimal chances, then we had to go over there (where they've won a record amount of consecutive games) and not only score but match them for goals, I'd be a little concerned. Especially when you take into account the defence will be even stronger with the re-introduction of Vidic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part 36 Offer
Yes I agree. You could see how cagey we were against Roma despite being 2-0 up from the first leg. I think last night proved we are extremely resilient but i just felt that Barca were there for the taking tbh. Milito and Marquez were all over the show and I felt with a touch more tactical awareness from Fergie we could have nicked a goal. I just hope he plays to our strengths next week and we go for the jugular right from the off.
We will be more adventurous. Whether the cautious approach was right for last night is difficult to say, but at Old Trafford I think it's pretty clear that we want to set a quick tempo early on and put them under intense pressure from the start.

Unread 24-04-2008, 04:10 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
We will be more adventurous. Whether the cautious approach was right for last night is difficult to say, but at Old Trafford I think it's pretty clear that we want to set a quick tempo early on and put them under intense pressure from the start.
Will be interesting to see what team they will pick for that game, if they go with their standard 4-3-3 formation of the last few years a front 3 of Henry, Etoo and Messi will be real threat. I was surprised that Henry did not start, he may not have been performing, especially at the NC but he has a great record against Utd and would no doubt have been fired up the game. Iniesta on the left side was always going to be far less of a threat. The fact that Bojan came on before him in a match of that magnitude can not be pleasing to him.

If those front 3 click we could be in trouble.

Saw enough last night to know that their defence can be hurt, the series of cynical fouls on Ronaldo showed how much trouble he caused even with the limited ball he got.

Unread 24-04-2008, 04:20 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Will be interesting to see what team they will pick for that game, if they go with their standard 4-3-3 formation of the last few years a front 3 of Henry, Etoo and Messi will be real threat. I was surprised that Henry did not start, he may not have been performing, especially at the NC but he has a great record against Utd and would no doubt have been fired up the game. Iniesta on the left side was always going to be far less of a threat. The fact that Bojan came on before him in a match of that magnitude can not be pleasing to him.

Saw enough last night to know that their defence can be hurt, the series of cynical fouls on Ronaldo showed how much trouble he caused even with the limited ball he got.
They won't stray from the 4-3-3. I actually think it might be the same side at Old Trafford with the obvious exception of Puyol in for Marquez. The most interesting thing will be what Fergie changes. I'd expect Park and Tevez to drop to the bench, possibly with Nani or Giggs and Anderson coming in or perhaps Hargreaves moving further forward.

I'd be extremely tempted to start Nani. Barca don't deal well with crosses into the box from corners/wide areas/free-kicks so his delivery could be a huge asset in a match we'll (hopefully) see a lot more of the ball and enjoy more pressure.

Personally, I'd go with Anderson with Scholes and Carrick, with Ronaldo back to a wide area opposite Nani on the other side and Rooney through the middle.

Unread 24-04-2008, 04:24 PM
Firswood Red

Quote:

will be suprised to seem him start with Henry, Eto'o & Messi. Think i'd prefer it if he started with the 3 of them as neither will help out defensively in any way.

Unread 24-04-2008, 04:28 PM
MJ Ramone

Imagine what the atmos will be like on Tuesday night if we win!...especially if we've had a good result at the Bridge.
It'll be £#%&!ing unreal.

I can't get the horrible thoughts out of my head though.
You know the ones.
The players with an opposition shirt hanging over their shoulders...face down to the ground...a few tears in the eyes..
The "we're good...but not quite good enough" mood hanging over the Club.
Fergie having to give YET ANOTHER "We'll learn from this & bounce back stronger next year" post-match interview.

I've become so accustomed to this in recent years that I can't see beyond it.

I'm not even being a doomlord, I'm just calling it as I see it.

I think it'll be 2-2 or 1-1...£#%&!ing fingers crossed I'm wrong.

A lot will depend on Saturday. If we win at Stamford Bridge the Title is ours.
That would send the lads into the Barca game on a high to say the least.

I'm shitting it about these 2 games already.

Unread 24-04-2008, 04:38 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
Imagine what the atmos will be like on Tuesday night if we win!...especially if we've had a good result at the Bridge.
It'll be £#%&!ing unreal.

I can't get the horrible thoughts out of my head though.
You know the ones.
The players with an opposition shirt hanging over their shoulders...face down to the ground...a few tears in the eyes..
The "we're good...but not quite good enough" mood hanging over the Club.
Fergie having to give YET ANOTHER "We'll learn from this & bounce back stronger next year" post-match interview.

I've become so accustomed to this in recent years that I can't see beyond it.

I'm not even being a doomlord, I'm just calling it as I see it.

I think it'll be 2-2 or 1-1...£#%&!ing fingers crossed I'm wrong.

A lot will depend on Saturday. If we win at Stamford Bridge the Title is ours.
That would send the lads into the Barca game on a high to say the least.

I'm shitting it about these 2 games already.
Yep, it'll be difficult not to be nervous on Tuesday. I like the fact that we have to win, though. Ahead of the game I was keen on a score draw, but at least this way the lads know exactly what is required: a win and nothing less. It makes absolutely no sense to play a tight game because that will only increase the tension if Barca do score. We have to go out there and try to win the game from the first whistle. An open game would suit both sides, but I think with the crowd behind us and a greater hunger we'd beat them.

Unread 24-04-2008, 04:41 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firswood Red
will be suprised to seem him start with Henry, Eto'o & Messi. Think i'd prefer it if he started with the 3 of them as neither will help out defensively in any way.
True, but as a counter attacking threat the fear that they could put into Utd could stop us fully committing to attack.

Quote:
Personally, I'd go with Anderson with Scholes and Carrick, with Ronaldo back to a wide area opposite Nani on the other side and Rooney through the middle.
I would leave Scholes out in that game, go with Hargreaves and the other 2, just think it makes up more solid and confident about going forward without Scholes. His form has been very up and down, and Utd get caught on the counter with Scholes defending we are in trouble.

The front 3 you pick is probably the most dangerous at the moment. Tevez as an impact sub.

Can not help but think Fergie will have another strange selection that will have shocked though, Fletcher in the team out of nowhere, Park again.

The sentiment in me says that Giggs has another top European performance in him, and as a player who always looks comfortable on that stage he might shock his critics one more time, but on form he should not play.

Unread 24-04-2008, 04:48 PM
Stickman

Thumbs up

would be great to get a result on sat and then beat Barca in front of a jumping OT for the world to see.

Im positive we'll do both

Unread 24-04-2008, 04:52 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
I would leave Scholes out in that game, go with Hargreaves and the other 2, just think it makes up more solid and confident about going forward without Scholes. His form has been very up and down, and Utd get caught on the counter with Scholes defending we are in trouble.

The front 3 you pick is probably the most dangerous at the moment. Tevez as an impact sub.

Can not help but think Fergie will have another strange selection that will have shocked though, Fletcher in the team out of nowhere, Park again.

The sentiment in me says that Giggs has another top European performance in him, and as a player who always looks comfortable on that stage he might shock his critics one more time, but on form he should not play.
I'd be fairly happy with that midfield, also.

I'm more confident in Giggs to produce at home in European games, but this is the most important match of our season and we have to go with the players most likely to give us what we need. If Nani looks good on Saturday I'd definietly opt for him.

He actually produced one of our few moments of real quality last night: a sixty-yard ball to send Ronaldo down the right. Was top class.

Unread 24-04-2008, 05:14 PM
Tumescent Throb

The value of Tevez's goal at Blackburn is now magnified - Chelsea away doesn't matter a jot (which hopefully means our starting line up will reflect as much).

Secondly, last night all the players who started that people say are shit were very good; Scholes was very good, Park The Wasp Ji Sung did a fine job supporting Evra and buying the full-back time to get his positioning fairly unusually spot on throughout, Hargreaves showed precisely the tactical nous that makes him such a valuable asset to the squad, and Brown was tremendous.

And thirdly, 0-0 is dodgy as £#%&! for both teams. It means we can sit back just as much as they can for a start off. How many gaps will Barcelona risk leaving with Giggs pulling the strings?

Finally, it took a last ditch Giggs goal to scramble a draw from the semi-final in 99 - and we still £#%&!ed up the start of the 2nd leg! Let's be honest, no-one has a clue what is going to happen on Tuesday.

Unread 24-04-2008, 05:19 PM
Ether

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
Park The Wasp Ji Sung did a fine job
You crack me up.

Unread 24-04-2008, 05:26 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether
You crack me up.
and?