United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 05-01-2007, 01:29 AM
Macca1990

Default Gareth Bale - Why?

It worries me more everyday and the simple reason is he would be a classic 'ferguson' signing

I'm not knocking the great man but how typical would it be to sign a left back when we have 3 already and reall could do with a midfielder(hargreaves) or world class striker (torres)

So would anyone care to explain either a)why we are being constantly linked with the boy B)why united would want another left back and C) why why why why

Unread 05-01-2007, 01:36 AM
shadowplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca1990
It worries me more everyday and the simple reason is he would be a classic 'ferguson' signing

I'm not knocking the great man but how typical would it be to sign a left back when we have 3 already and reall could do with a midfielder(hargreaves) or world class striker (torres)

So would anyone care to explain either a)why we are being constantly linked with the boy B)why united would want another left back and C) why why why why
It confuses me as well tbh,but it does look as though Heinze may well be off in the summer,and this lad Bale,is believed to be an excellent prospect and is only 17.Surely we should be looking at all up and coming english young footballers,whether they are Left backs,Keepers or Forwards.The last thing we want is this lad £#%&!ing off to Arsenal,liverpool,Spurs etc and turning out to be a top player,and we would all be up in arms lambasting Fergie for not signing the lad.

Unread 05-01-2007, 01:37 AM
Luffy

Quote:

either he is the next maldini/duncan edwards/bobby moore or he has a very good and crafty agent.

how good can a left back be to generate this kind of hype ffs. I wouldnt even get excited over Carlos or Cafu tbh.

Unread 05-01-2007, 01:38 AM
ScarFace

he's gunna cost about 3mil plus about 4mil addons, it's hardly gunna break the bank.

also hargreaves can play at right back, maybe we'l sell both gabby and brown or silvestre....hmm

Unread 05-01-2007, 01:39 AM
Macca1990

I'm all for getting rid of 50pence head beleive me but I would not want to see gabby go and I'm a big fan of evra it really does defy belief

Unread 05-01-2007, 01:41 AM
shadowplay

Quote:
I'm all for getting rid of 50pence head beleive me but I would not want to see gabby go and I'm a big fan of evra it really does defy belief
If rumours are to be believed,then Gabby won't be around this time next year

Unread 05-01-2007, 01:51 AM
ScarFace

dont forget he is only 17, we could easily buy him but loan him right out, like the goalie

Unread 05-01-2007, 01:54 AM
shadowplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarFace
dont forget he is only 17, we could easily buy him but loan him right out, like the goalie
Well he has pulled out of the weekends cup game with an apparent "injury",rumour has it that hes pulled out so that he isnt cup tied if he joins a new side.

Unread 05-01-2007, 05:06 AM
Crumps

'Classic Ferguson signing'

The lad looks like he'll cost £#%&! all in the big scheme of things so he won't break the bank or scupper any other signings. Remember you can only buy a player if their club is willing to sell them.

Why? I honestly thin it's because Gabby and or Silvestre will be on their way out in the summer or maybe this month. I don't think that's such a bad thing as with the emergance of Evra I think we are in a position to sell at least one if not both and use this lad as a back up (If he's as good as the say)

Unread 05-01-2007, 07:10 AM
borsuk

either
(a) he's thinking about future restrictions on foreign, which is sensible, or
(b) he's replacing the core of english players he's always had with more english players, which is crucial

or both.

either way, this seems a canny move. fergie has never liked playing very young defenders - it's one area he always rates experience. at 17 this kid will not be a regular for four years or so, if he makes it at all, and that will be just about right. it's simply planning for the future and something that we should be applauding. spurs have been very good at this for a few years: they've developed/bought young english players (dawson, king, defoe, lennon, huddlestone) and will really reap the benefits in the next few years; we need to be doing the same.

saying we shouldn't be interested in a 17-year old lb who seems to be a genuine talent because we have evra (26, is he?), silvestre (who is a liability and 30ish?) and heinze (not for long and 30ish?) is just daft.

if he's got as much potential as they say then we should be interested.

Unread 05-01-2007, 01:35 PM
Macca1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
either
(b) he's replacing the core of english players he's always had with more english players, which is crucial

or both.

either way, this seems a canny move. fergie has never liked playing very young defenders - it's one area he always rates experience. at 17 this kid will not be a regular for four years or so, if he makes it at all, and that will be just about right. it's simply planning for the future and something that we should be applauding. spurs have been very good at this for a few years: they've developed/bought young english players (dawson, king, defoe, lennon, huddlestone) and will really reap the benefits in the next few years; we need to be doing the same.

saying we shouldn't be interested in a 17-year old lb who seems to be a genuine talent because we have evra (26, is he?), silvestre (who is a liability and 30ish?) and heinze (not for long and 30ish?) is just daft.

if he's got as much potential as they say then we should be interested.
Point taken however surely if this lad were as great as the hype you'd get the rent boys sniffing around and surely the price would be inflated ten fold

Unread 05-01-2007, 01:40 PM
bad_wolf

the lad is the best free kick taker ive seen since beckham

Unread 05-01-2007, 01:42 PM
Crumps

Quote:
Point taken however surely if this lad were as great as the hype you'd get the rent boys sniffing around and surely the price would be inflated ten fold
Holy stupid logic Batman.

Unread 05-01-2007, 01:45 PM
Ether

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
either
Bale's Welsh

Unread 05-01-2007, 01:47 PM
El Calafate

Bale's ugly. nft.

Unread 05-01-2007, 01:48 PM
Ether

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumpsall
The lad looks like he'll cost £#%&! all in the big scheme of things so he won't break the bank or scupper any other signings.
What big scheme of things is this? The one where we're hundreds of millions of punds in debt and only able to buy if we sell first? The money for him has to be coming from somewhere.

Unread 05-01-2007, 01:49 PM
dodger

I reckon they're looking to make him into a left winger

Unread 05-01-2007, 02:00 PM
Macca1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumpsall
Holy stupid logic Batman.
get to £#%&!

Unread 05-01-2007, 02:40 PM
borsuk

Quote:
let's wait and see. i wouldn't be surprised to see more and more young players knocking back interest from chelsea because they know it will ruin their careers (swp, anyone? almost new - hardly used...)

Unread 05-01-2007, 03:26 PM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether
What big scheme of things is this? The one where we're hundreds of millions of punds in debt and only able to buy if we sell first? The money for him has to be coming from somewhere.
That's like saying you can't buy a car because you are mortgaged up to your eye balls. You know nothing about the situation concerning money within the club now apart from specualtion so don't pretend you do.
Closed Thread