United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Hall of Fame

Unread 08-10-2016, 10:45 PM
Nelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by The taste of...
5 April 1969

Saw my absolute hero George score against Forest. Morgan got the other 2

3-1 and couldn't get over that football wasn;'t in black and white with no commentary.

Bottom corner of the canteliver at the Stretty which I am chuffed seems to have survived?
Jeez, ToSers that as my first match too!

Finally persuaded my old man to take me, and we did that match and Burnley in that April.

But then for some reason me mam decided it was too much time and expense for me dad to drive all the way from Unsworth to Stretford and I ended up getting dragged to Gigg Lane to watch Bury for the next 6 years

It was only when the old girl left me dad for another bloke that I could get back to United at the start of the 1975/76 season back in Division 1, with my mates from school.

Wasn't long until the old fella and our kid were joining me, and we spent the next 10 years doing all the homes and aways together.

Good times, those years. Even though we didn't win so much

Unread 09-10-2016, 06:01 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson

Finally persuaded my old man to take me, and we did that match and Burnley in that April.

But then for some reason me mam decided it was too much time and expense for me dad to drive all the way from Unsworth to Stretford and I ended up getting dragged to Gigg Lane to watch Bury for the next 6 years

It was only when the old girl left me dad for another bloke that I could get back to United at the start of the 1975/76 season back in Division 1, with my mates from school.

Wasn't long until the old fella and our kid were joining me, and we spent the next 10 years doing all the homes and aways together.

A ruleThe support was more entertaining than the football

Quote:

The support was more entertaining than the football as a rule

Unread 09-10-2016, 06:10 AM
luminova

Oct 5th 1968 United 0 Arsenal 0

Old fart here

Unread 09-10-2016, 08:13 AM
The taste of...

Quote:

We saw the Trinity though!

Sunny as I recall, Mary Hopkin 'Knock Knock who's there "or 'Those where the days my friend" on the PA before Deffo her though

Some of the records don't have Charlton playing in that game but I swear the sun bouncing off his head was a major memory when he was first to run out the tunnel. The liniment was another thing you never forget.

Happy days - got a new pair of shoes on the way to the ground. Imagine turning up with a pair of shoes in a box now. First season I went under my own steam was Division 2 every home game

Unread 09-10-2016, 08:46 AM
Zorg

Cup Final 1909. Glory hunter.

Unread 09-10-2016, 09:50 AM
Stickman

A JCL posts

My second game was the 9-0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa7
It's funny, most seasons are a blur to me, but for some reason the 06-07 season I remember nearly every game like it was yesterday.

I think it was because I thought that we were so far behind Chelsea I spent the entire season waiting for us to wobble and consequently every game almost felt like a cup final.

Plus the lads were wearing my all time favourite United shirt, particularly in European games with the gold lettering, bewdiful...

So true, that season was pure adrenalin in the stands. Every time we dropped points I expected us to collapse and Chelsea to steam ahead. I still can't believe they drew at Newcastle when we put it back in their hands.

That kalou winner at Watford was a sickener I remember

Unread 09-10-2016, 02:22 PM
caliban

Leicester City away, 1976. We lost 2-1. All I can remember is a vague recollection of a Lou Macari song and that United's support seemed to be in the majority inside Filbert Street.

Looking back at the stats on that game, there were only Scottish and English players on the pitch. Times have somewhat changed...

Unread 09-10-2016, 03:04 PM
TheFatGoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
Remember that. Wasn't it United's first game after Eric got banned?

Unread 09-10-2016, 03:31 PM
woody78

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatGoth
It was. Pretty sure we were singing his name as Irwin was taking a penalty

Unread 09-10-2016, 03:37 PM
Fergie out 89

West Ham, October 1994, sat in the north stand and we won 1-0 (Eric)

Unread 09-10-2016, 08:57 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
So true, that season was pure adrenalin in the stands. Every time we dropped points I expected us to collapse and Chelsea to steam ahead. I still can't believe they drew at Newcastle when we put it back in their hands.

That kalou winner at Watford was a sickener I remember
One of *the* most intense title fights in recent years, up there with battling Arsenal in the treble season

No wonder the cup final was so crap, both teams were totally spent.

Unread 09-10-2016, 09:45 PM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatGoth
correct.

Unread 09-10-2016, 10:53 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
correct.
Chanted his name throughout the match - IIRC even some of the Wrexham fans joined in

Unread 09-10-2016, 10:56 PM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Chanted his name throughout the match - IIRC even some of the Wrexham fans joined in
They were very loud most of the game, went crazy when they took the lead, as you'd expect.

Unread 09-10-2016, 10:56 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
One of *the* most intense title fights in recent years, up there with battling Arsenal in the treble season

No wonder the cup final was so crap, both teams were totally spent.
United working with a small squad at that time iirc. Partly due to Saha's injury issues. Rio and/or Vida struggling too I think.

Phenomenal effort to come back at Goodison Park and a narrow win at City, but that was probably all we had left in the tank.

Unread 10-10-2016, 03:42 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Cup Final 1909. Glory hunter.
Not a JCL though

Unread 11-10-2016, 10:24 PM
stax

Vs West Ham January 1973 2-2 k stand posh seats

Unread 12-10-2016, 10:38 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax
Vs West Ham January 1973 2-2 k stand posh seats
Macari's debut?

2-2?

Unread 12-10-2016, 10:48 AM
Don Stuarte

Football

August 1986

Got beat 1-0 by Charlton Athletic

Didn't do any other pre-Fergie games.

EDIT - Sat in the shiny new Family Stand and Robbo was injured so he was there doing photos and stuff.... with the 3 people that had a £#%&!ing camera.

Unread 12-10-2016, 11:20 AM
TheFatGoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Stuarte
August 1986

Got beat 1-0 by Charlton Athletic

Didn't do any other pre-Fergie games.

EDIT - Sat in the shiny new Family Stand and Robbo was injured so he was there doing photos and stuff.... with the 3 people that had a £#%&!ing camera.
Alright, Don.