United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 26-10-2010, 05:32 PM
celtbion

It has to be Jose.

Perfect man for the job and he clearly wants it.

Unread 26-10-2010, 05:40 PM
Triggy

Unread 26-10-2010, 05:51 PM
borsuk

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman
I agree with this, it really irritates me tbh, I don't understand why any United supporter would be happy at the thought of Fergie going. I don't really care who is the manager after him, if it's Mourinho then fine I'm sure everyone will get behind him and hope he does well. I just hope it won't be happening for a few more years yet.

Maybe Mourinho will have changed a bit by then, Fergie could be just as bad at times in his younger days. I remember something about when Aberdeen won the Scottish Cup, they had won the game by a few goals and when Fergie was interviewed on TV after the game he ripped into the team saying it was one of the most disgraceful performances he'd ever seen, the players couldn't believe what they were hearing
love that interview "the team didn't win that match, willie miller won that match on his own".

incredible to be honest. the result was nothing to him, it was all about the performance for the shirt, a sign of an astonishingly driven man with cast-iron principles about the team ethic. he's £#%&!ing amazing is fergie

Unread 26-10-2010, 06:00 PM
borsuk

Talking

late winner

classic, basil fawlty with the corner/cross, brylcreem and sideburns all round for the officials, nice pot belly on the lino

Unread 26-10-2010, 06:12 PM
Horst_ Bucholst

Mourinho is a poor choice seeing as he can't stop in the same job for more than 5 minutes too much of a gamble.

Unread 26-10-2010, 06:19 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
he's come across as an unbelievable tosser at times.
You could say this with some justification about almost anyone in sport tho, surely?

Unread 26-10-2010, 06:20 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horst_ Bucholst
Mourinho is a poor choice seeing as he can't stop in the same job for more than 5 minutes too much of a gamble.
TBF, he has taken a step up each time.

Unread 26-10-2010, 06:21 PM
Sandman

Quote:
late winner

YouTube - Alex Ferguson scores for Ayr United in 1973

classic, basil fawlty with the corner/cross, brylcreem and sideburns all round for the officials, nice pot belly on the lino

It looked like he was going to stick the nut on the number 2 there.

Unread 26-10-2010, 06:38 PM
Argentina

Quote:
love that interview "the team didn't win that match, willie miller won that match on his own".

incredible to be honest. the result was nothing to him, it was all about the performance for the shirt, a sign of an astonishingly driven man with cast-iron principles about the team ethic. he's £#%&!ing amazing is fergie
Despite him saying he regretted saying it and he should have let it go because it caused huge issues with the team.
It was a big mistake in my opinion and he learned not slate his team in public after that.

Unread 26-10-2010, 06:53 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentina
Despite him saying he regretted saying it and he should have let it go because it caused huge issues with the team.
It was a big mistake in my opinion and he learned not slate his team in public after that.
absolutely. sorry if i wasn't clear, i don't think it was smart, i think it gave an insight into what makes the man so special.

grimson - there's being a £#%&!er and there's being a £#%&!er, if you get my meaning.

Unread 26-10-2010, 07:57 PM
Argentina

Quote:
absolutely. sorry if i wasn't clear, i don't think it was smart, i think it gave an insight into what makes the man so special.

grimson - there's being a £#%&!er and there's being a £#%&!er, if you get my meaning.
I admire the 'I'd rather lose 4-3 playing well than win 1-0 playing shit turgid stuff' but what it comes down to is you have to win playing shit sometimes. It's the sign of a good team.
I don't think winning playing shit should be a philosophy and I think that's what Ferguson recognised after that game.

Unread 26-10-2010, 08:07 PM
Tumescent Throb

Ferguson just got mixed up and tried to talk himself out of it imo, just making it worse

think he was basically already thinking about the next season, giving his own players a challenge and winding up their main opposition by mocking his own team's lousy performance that was still too good for them

could be wrong

moooooooo

Unread 26-10-2010, 09:12 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
i think that's incredibly generous to him. he's come across as an unbelievable tosser at times. the jibes at ronaldo, for example, the whole spat with ranieri, his rants at italian journalists and so on. obviously fergie has a go at the press but it's not really comparable - if you've followed him in italy then you'll know what i mean.
Ranieri tried it on, Jose slapped him down.

He said nothing special about Ronaldo, despite what the English press tried to insinuate.

With the press, I'm not sure they were always fair to him in Italy. I don't particularly sympathise with the journalists, anyway.

Unread 26-10-2010, 09:17 PM
Liu Jian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red

He said nothing special about Ronaldo, despite what the English press tried to insinuate.

With the press, I'm not sure they were always fair to him in Italy. I don't particularly sympathise with the journalists, anyway.
Didn't he say Ronaldo was uneducated and lacking intelligence?

I also remember he had a right go about Fergie because Fergie had words with Graham Poll at half-time during a Carling Cup tie at Stamford Bridge. Graham Poll said he was saying all-sorts .

No doubt about it though, he is a winner. But also an ego-maniac who puts his alter-ego ahead of the club he managing.

Unread 26-10-2010, 09:17 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red

i agree. it's just press hype.

whenever i listen to mourinho in tv interviews he's pretty much always entertaining and informative.

ferguson suggests experience will be a vital 'characteristic' of any manager in contention to takeover. but tbf that's not necessarily the case. his own experience should tell him that it takes an exceptional manager to succeed at Old Trafford, and that therefore it's that rather than experience that will be the key ingredient. and tbf, he put no age restriction on experience anyway.

Unread 26-10-2010, 09:37 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liu Jian
Didn't he say Ronaldo was uneducated and lacking intelligence?
No, it was a poor translation job.

Education - Educação is a good example of what are known in linguistics as false friends - words that are very similar in two languages but have different meanings. Educação in Portuguese essentially means "manners". It's nothing at all to do with school/academic education. Essentially, all Mourinho did was suggest that Ronaldo was being a bit rude, but the English press managed to turn it into some kind of insult about Ronaldo's background.
Closed Thread