United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
View Poll Results: Which striker will Jose sign?
Zlat 25 60.98%
Abeumeyang 5 12.20%
Kane 3 7.32%
Lukaku 1 2.44%
Somebody else (must state) 5 12.20%
He won't buy a striker 2 4.88%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Unread 22-05-2016, 07:24 PM
Baron

Griezemann.

Unread 22-05-2016, 07:28 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron
Griezemann.
Not a striker.

Unread 22-05-2016, 07:33 PM
Neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda
Surely a big consideration has to be blocking rashfords route to the first team not just next season but over the next 3/4 years.
Kane would do that, ibrahimovic not so much
It's about squad depth though, isn't it. Imagine having a selection of Martial, Rashford and Kane to choose from. Martial and Rashford can both play anywhere across the front-three, too.

It's also a question of playing style. It's clear that Van Gaal wanted more pace in our attack, and he got that by promoting Martial and Rashford, as well as by taking Rooney out of the striker's position.

If we sign a slow, ponderous target man like Ibrahimovic, surely it's a step back from the fluid, interchangeable, lightning quick attack we can see developing. I want players that can supplement our young stars, not negate them.

The positives are that Zlatan will bring the experience that the young players can learn from, and he also has outstanding technical ability to link up with our attack - I can already see the back heels and flicks between him and Rashers! But it's a big ask for a veteran to step into the English league and smash it. It's not hard to see him doing a Shevchenko/Falcao.

Unread 22-05-2016, 07:37 PM
My Name is Keith

No real point having lightening quick forwards like rashers and martial if our build up play is so slow and ponderous. Our current set up just doesn't get the best out of those players imv.

I think a top draw midfielder is the more important signing - someone who can exploit rashers and martial in a way that van gaal has largely failed to do with his midfield selections.

Unread 22-05-2016, 07:49 PM
Neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
No real point having lightening quick forwards like rashers and martial if our build up play is so slow and ponderous. Our current set up just doesn't get the best out of those players imv.

I think a top draw midfielder is the more important signing - someone who can exploit rashers and martial in a way that van gaal has largely failed to do with his midfield selections.
I think we need 5 new first-team signings. Quite how it's that bad after the money spent, I don't know. I guess we'll find out soon enough if the likes of Schneiderlin, Herrera, Schweinsteiger and Memphis were dud signings, or top players who were badly coached.

Either way, we unequivocally need a proper right-back, at least one centre-back, and an attacking midfielder. Then, based on the above players being £#%&! in Mourinho's opinion, we'll need at least one central midfielder, a winger, and possibly a striker.

I agree with you that the biggest issue out of those is the need for an attacking midfielder who can create chances. This is precisely what Ruud Gullit said was our biggest weakness as a team after yesterday's game. Mata will surely be binned based on Mourinho's previous assessments, and surely to £#%&! he won't look to build an attack around Rooney as the creative midfielder.

The last two managers have failed because they've pandered to Rooney and tried to build an attack around him. Fergie knew five £#%&!ing years ago that Rooney was finished at the top level, so it will be interesting to see how Mourinho deals with him. This whole 'top scorer in the club's history' thing will be dragging on into another season, too, as the useless @#%&! couldn't bag enough goals this year.

If we're lining up next season in a 4-4-2 with Rooney and Ibrahimovic up-front then the Maureen Mongs will have a lot to answer for.

Unread 22-05-2016, 08:08 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
I think we need 5 new first-team signings. Quite how it's that bad after the money spent, I don't know. I guess we'll find out soon enough if the likes of Schneiderlin, Herrera, Schweinsteiger and Memphis were dud signings, or top players who were badly coached.
Don't think there is much doubt about his "top player" credentials, tbf.

Unread 22-05-2016, 08:11 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Don't think there is much doubt about his "top player" credentials, tbf.
Nor his 'past it' credentials tbh.

Unread 22-05-2016, 08:15 PM
Cream

Team lacks height and brawn with Fellaini gone.

So Lukaku, Lewandowski or Zlatan seem obvious.

Unread 22-05-2016, 08:41 PM
Child of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith

Agree .

Alt he could just play hererrerrrrrerra or mata in the middle instead of that useless @#%&! fellacio

Unread 22-05-2016, 08:56 PM
armchair

Benzema if only for the blackmail opportunities he'll have on Giggs.

Unread 22-05-2016, 08:58 PM
Clarkie

Marquinhos, Stones, Aubameyang, Zlatan and James are his targets according to the Mirror

Unread 22-05-2016, 09:12 PM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkie
Marquinhos, Stones, Aubameyang, Zlatan and James are his targets according to the Mirror

Unread 22-05-2016, 09:14 PM
yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
It's about squad depth though, isn't it. Imagine having a selection of Martial, Rashford and Kane to choose from. Martial and Rashford can both play anywhere across the front-three, too.

It's also a question of playing style. It's clear that Van Gaal wanted more pace in our attack, and he got that by promoting Martial and Rashford, as well as by taking Rooney out of the striker's position.

If we sign a slow, ponderous target man like Ibrahimovic, surely it's a step back from the fluid, interchangeable, lightning quick attack we can see developing. I want players that can supplement our young stars, not negate them.

The positives are that Zlatan will bring the experience that the young players can learn from, and he also has outstanding technical ability to link up with our attack - I can already see the back heels and flicks between him and Rashers! But it's a big ask for a veteran to step into the English league and smash it. It's not hard to see him doing a Shevchenko/Falcao.
Good points. Rashford could also be as effective from the right as Martial has been from the left, he cut in from the wing a few times yesterday with some obscene trickery. Front 3 of Ibra, Rash and Martial might be aiite
Would cover for Ibras lack of pace too.

Unread 22-05-2016, 09:18 PM
Neo

Quote:
Stones is a must-buy, IMO. He will develop into a world-class centre-back with proper coaching. He's got the mental strength and confidence for a club like United, too. Could be the best defensive signing we've made since Rio.

The striker links are interesting (taken with a pinch of red-top tabloid salt, obviously), as Aubameyang and Ibrahimovic are polar opposites in terms of style.

As for Hames, it's clear we need a top-class number 10, and he could tick that box. I've not always been impressed with him, but he's an upgrade on what we have currently.

All are very expensive, and inevitably long, drawn-out transfer sagas though.

Unread 22-05-2016, 10:03 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Stones has all the same criticisms that a certain young Rio Ferdinand had a West Ham in his early days. He's going to be a very good defender.

James - no way.

Unread 22-05-2016, 11:04 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Nor his 'past it' credentials tbh.
It would still be nice if he could ever get £#%&!ing fit, tbf

Unread 22-05-2016, 11:50 PM
Cream

Morata according to the widely publicised Mourinho hitlist.

Pretty cool of him to just put that out there btw. Doesn't care who knows.

Unread 23-05-2016, 12:07 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
It would still be nice if he could ever get £#%&!ing fit, tbf
Nope. If he's fit he'll be hanging out of the back of that tennis player in Germany somewhere

And why wouldn't he tbf

Unread 23-05-2016, 12:13 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers
Can you fit Martial, Rooney, Rashford and Zlat into the same side?

Unread 23-05-2016, 12:18 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Can you fit Martial, Rooney, Rashford and Zlat into the same side?
Signing Zlat would ring massive £#%&!ing alarm bells for me. Absolutely obsene money on a player in his mid 30's who demands the club revolve around him, having never played in this league before and been in semi retirement in France for 4 years recipe for £#%&!ing disaster.

Surely we can better utilise those funds? Surely ffs
Closed Thread