United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 22-05-2016, 11:10 AM
75Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface

I like the guy. Always have and still do. I like him more than the guy we're going to replace him with. But I want the other guy in more.
Pretty much sums it up for me too. Gutted that it didn't work out with LVG because he's got that bit of mad @#%&! going on in his head. Combined with good football and results it would have been a winner for us.

Unread 22-05-2016, 11:18 AM
ryanMUFC

Quote:
It's rather damning that many of his best moments have nothing to do with actual football.

We always knew he'd be good value for money in the banks stakes, but it's not been reflected on the pitch enough.

I like the guy. Always have and still do. I like him more than the guy we're going to replace him with. But I want the other guy in more.
Beating Liverpool is something that should never be taken for granted.
Beating City at home last season was a good occasion considering they'd beaten us at home the previous 2 seasons.

He's always got the team to turn up against strong opposition, it's the results and lack of goals against the weaker sides that have ultimately cost him his job. It's disappointing that he got booed by people (unsatisfied customers, not fans) that demand both attacking football and success because that's what they've grown used to. During the 90's and early 2000's most seasons were 2 horse races, nowadays the margin is a lot smaller between the team that finishes first and fourth. I'm certain Ferguson noticed that when deciding to pack it in.

Unread 22-05-2016, 11:20 AM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanMUFC
Beating Liverpool is something that should never be taken for granted.
Beating City at home last season was a good occasion considering they'd beaten us at home the previous 2 seasons.

He's always got the team to turn up against strong opposition, it's the results and lack of goals against the weaker sides that have ultimately cost him his job. It's disappointing that he got booed by people (unsatisfied customers, not fans) that demand both attacking football and success because that's what they've grown used to. During the 90's and early 2000's most seasons were 2 horse races, nowadays the margin is a lot smaller between the team that finishes first and fourth. I'm certain Ferguson noticed that when deciding to pack it in.
Competing with the big sides definitely one in his 'pros' column. We've generally been pretty solid in the 'top 6' battles regardless of our form

I think we're tactically better than we have been for years (the occasional £#%&! up notwithstanding)

£#%&! it let's keep him!

Unread 22-05-2016, 11:24 AM
Rorschach

Quote:
It's rather damning that many of his best moments have nothing to do with actual football.

And there you have it.

I was very happy when we signed him but the joyless shit football has destroyed any respect I once had for him.

That said, I still expected United to give him his moment with the cup, until Monday or Tuesday before shifting him out/up.

That Mendes has been able to leak Mourinho's imminent appointment in this way is a further indictment of Woodward's managerial ability and it reflects poorly on the club.

Given the detail of the BBC piece published right after the game, it had clearly been prepared well in advance and not on the fly. This suggests an early briefing and embargo. The Beeb wouldn't do this without double sourcing and/or a written statement from Mendes - they're not Fox News (yet.)

Unread 22-05-2016, 11:26 AM
sa7

Van Gaal the man, I absolutely love to bits.

Van Gaal the manager, unfortunately, hasn't been what I hoped for. Although it's very plausible that any future success may be directly traceable to his time here.

Glad he can walk away as a winner, holding his head high.

Unread 22-05-2016, 11:27 AM
taff

Quote:

We always knew he'd be good value for money in the bants stakes, but it's not been reflected on the pitch enough.
it was magic when it all came together though. @#%&!ting city in the derby then turning up at wings surrounded by adoring members of their women's team was world class wummery

Unread 22-05-2016, 11:31 AM
wiganste

Thought we got someone special in when he took over. Last season we had some moments, some proper United moments but he seemed to reign it in when we started playing great football (city and Liverpool). He did what was required, top 4 finish and champions league football.

This season has been the worst season I can remember for the state of football he's served up. Of course injuries haven't helped but we can't keep using that excuse. Used to like watching him speak but can't listen to the guy anymore. Thanks for the cup Louis, but you've been shit really.

Unread 22-05-2016, 11:40 AM
ryanMUFC

Quote:
Competing with the big sides definitely one in his 'pros' column. We've generally been pretty solid in the 'top 6' battles regardless of our form

I think we're tactically better than we have been for years (the occasional £#%&! up notwithstanding)

£#%&! it let's keep him!
Apart from defending set pieces and aerial balls, we are.
Some people might be a little underwhelmed with United under Mourinho (should it happen)
What will be, will be.

Unread 22-05-2016, 11:50 AM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanMUFC
Apart from defending set pieces and aerial balls, we are.
Some people might be a little underwhelmed with United under Mourinho (should it happen)
What will be, will be.
I think they'll shocked if they just expect him to roll up and solve everything. It's a tough job, a lot needs to be done and we're a directionless mess. It'll be the biggest challenge of his career.

Unread 22-05-2016, 11:55 AM
NegativeNorris

I'm can't bring myself to kiss his arse because he's leaving.
He's been awful. He's spent so much money on players, that either don't play, or are inevitably going to be sold. The football has been shocking. The Championship league was a complete farce. His persistence with that useless ball of hair. Selling every player we had, without replacing any.

Yes, the young players coming through is great, but they've only been brought in due to a complete lack of depth. Thankfully, there are one or two gems coming through, but if we'd have had a bit more depth in that squad we'd have won the league.

Thanks for the cup, but Good riddance.

Unread 22-05-2016, 11:59 AM
Coracao

It has been awful. Can't wait til he £#%&!s off tbh

Unread 22-05-2016, 11:59 AM
ryanMUFC

Quote:
I think they'll shocked if they just expect him to roll up and solve everything. It's a tough job, a lot needs to be done and we're a directionless mess. It'll be the biggest challenge of his career.
To his advantage, players will want to work for him and he has Mendes on his side. It will be interesting to see and hopefully enjoyable.

Unread 22-05-2016, 01:55 PM
Pop

"It's over"

LVG talking to SSN outside the team hotel.

Unread 22-05-2016, 03:07 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75Red
Also gutted that it's happened like it has. A couple of days ago I posted here that I wanted him gone by 8pm Saturday but that was just me running my mouth after that turgid first half on Tuesday night. The way this has happened is shit and it's resulted in the media attention being all about him going and not about us winning the cup.
We have Jorge Mendes to thank for that tbf, not anybody at the club.

Unread 22-05-2016, 03:12 PM
TheFatGoth

Fair play Rooney...

"I know nothing at all, That's a question for Louis van Gaal or Ed Woodward. It's nothing to do with me. I don't want to speak about how Louis van Gaal has been because he's still our manager and he's still in his job. I think it's unfair after he's led us to win the FA Cup that we speak about him as if he's not here. I think he's a good manager and we are grateful for him helping us win this FA Cup. It's down to him or Ed Woodward to decide what happens."

Unread 22-05-2016, 03:20 PM
believe

I thought he'd been a raging success?

Unread 22-05-2016, 04:17 PM
ScarFace

Great at first. His personality is perfect....only if you're winning/doing well.

Because we were so shit, eveything he said/acted £#%&!ed me off.

Unread 22-05-2016, 06:10 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro
Love you, big man. Do some windmilling on your way out.
Yhgr my brudda

He'll enjoy watching the team grow and his influence will be there as the young players develop under subsequent managers.

When Van Gaal arrived he found a club with a decrepit scouting system, an under-funded and under-staffed academy, training facilities and match preparation in need of updating and an ageing squad that badly needed an injection of youth to build on.

These things tend to get fixed under managers like Van Gaal, and the club is in much better shape for the next man. On the field it's been disappointing second year, albeit he's had some bad luck and the way he's been portrayed will be revisited down the line I reckon. But if Martial and Rashford to name but two go on to achieve what we hope they will, the Big Man's legacy will only grow with their progress.

Funny. He leaves having won nine of his last twelve games in charge, lifting the FA Cup having watched his last substitute score the winner. That goalscorer being a local lad whose career he has reinvigorated.

Fitting that after Rashford got us to the semi and Martial to the final, LvG's boy Lingard won us the cup

Unread 22-05-2016, 06:22 PM
Rorschach

I left with 15 minutes to go at 0-0 in the game v Southampton. I jumped on the bus without jibbing and didn't give a £#%&! when someone told me we'd lost 0-1.

That will always be his legacy in my book. The joyless football @#%&! can't £#%&! off quick enough.

Unread 22-05-2016, 06:27 PM
Bunker Buster

Will miss him.

Thanks for everything mate....

Enjoy your retirement...
Closed Thread