United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 21-05-2016, 09:13 PM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
Think everyone wanted him to succeed. Some of his player positions and substitutions baffled - Nick Powell for example.

Sorry it didn't work out but we've gone backwards... Albeit with a pot.
This.

Enjoy your retirement Louis, Welcome Jose

Now for next season...

Unread 21-05-2016, 09:40 PM
Pop

Glad that he's seemingly going out with a winners medal round his neck, for a manager of his (past?) standing and overall reputation within the game it would have been very undignified to see him £#%&!ed of out of the club to the glee of utter @#%&!s like Neil Custis and like-minded abu's.

But by Christ the football was shit over the last two years, that can't be denied

I hope the incoming #@&%! rectifies that and if nothing else the wummery potential will be immense. He hates Wenger, he hates Liverpool and Guardiola £#%&!ing hates him. Can't wait for the carnage that will inevitably follow and I also hope that instead of Utd being the butt of jokes as it currently is from supporters of tinpot clubs like £#%&!ing West Ham and Tottenham, returns to its rightful place of being the most despised, hated and obsessed over football club in England from those very supporters much, much sooner rather than later.

Unread 21-05-2016, 09:44 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
We all wanted it to work out. His madness matched with results would have been the perfect combination.

Unfortunately he did very little right in his time here. There's a few good memories (today, dippers away, end of season awards etc...) but in general it's been the worst football we've ever played. I could put up with the results but not the performances.

His stubbornness was his downfall and he clearly lost the support of most of the players many months ago. If Madrid didn't £#%&! up the DDG transfer he'd have probably gone at xmas.

Thanks for promoting a few youngsters (when he had no choice) but goodbye.
This.

I'm not even sorry we appointed him. It was the right thing to do at the time and he's done enough good for us to all shake hands and say goodbye. Delighted he could finish on a high because his career deserves it, but with such a short contact, we couldn't let mourinho pass.

Thank you for the FA Cup, Louis. Brilliant managerial career

Unread 21-05-2016, 10:14 PM
Alan

It's hard not to feel a little sorry for him when he says he hopes he will see people next season, amongst all the Mourinho talk. Presumably that's all part of the game to get a payoff, but it could have been done with a bit more class on the day he won the cup.

What an enormous disappointment he's turned out to be though. With the odd exception, absolute shithouse football since the game at Leicester last season, up until which it all looked positive.

Shame a bloke of his reputation hung his hat on bogbrush too

Unread 21-05-2016, 10:15 PM
Jethro

Love you, big man. Do some windmilling on your way out.

Unread 21-05-2016, 10:38 PM
Stickman

I wanted him replaced but certainly respect the guy and thought he was solid as a rock over December when speculation he was about to be sacked went into overdrive.

It's the perfect ending really from there and him winning the first post Fergie trophy and getting Martial and Rashford involved will turn out to be his legacy. We've a hell of a rebuild needed though sadly. I can't dislike the man despite not rating the job he did while here.

Unread 21-05-2016, 10:40 PM
Darmian_fan

LVG responsible for 23% of all minutes played by teenagers in EPL this season.

How many minutes will JM play the teens?

Unread 22-05-2016, 09:06 AM
Banbury RED

On such fine margins are these things decided.

Yes the football has been so boring to watch and there has been a severe lack of shots and therefore goals, but one more goal scored could have made a big difference and got us in to the top four. Trouble is if we got to the Champions League we would be stuck with him for at least another season.

One more goal scored against Chelsea, Norwich, Southampton or City at home, Newcastle, West Ham or Leicester home or away , Palace or Swansea away and things may well be very different. The list is pretty endless really

Ultimately he cleared out some of the dead wood, gave youth a chance and won us a cup. But £#%&! me it was insipid.

Unread 22-05-2016, 09:12 AM
King Eric

I like Van Gaal, I always have, I think he's been a very good manager in the past, but his time is up, he can leave with his head held high, after winning the FA cup. It's now time for us to return back to the top tier of football and Mourhino is the man to get us there.

Unread 22-05-2016, 09:23 AM
TripDownMiseryLane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banbury RED
On such fine margins are these things decided.

Yes the football has been so boring to watch and there has been a severe lack of shots and therefore goals, but one more goal scored could have made a big difference and got us in to the top four. Trouble is if we got to the Champions League we would be stuck with him for at least another season.

One more goal scored against Chelsea, Norwich, Southampton or City at home, Newcastle, West Ham or Leicester home or away , Palace or Swansea away and things may well be very different. The list is pretty endless really

Ultimately he cleared out some of the dead wood, gave youth a chance and won us a cup. But £#%&! me it was insipid.
People underestimate what a colossal job it was, and is, to fix/modernise the broken machine that is MUFC, dating back to 2/3 years before Froggles retirement and people will look back and see that LvG did indeed start a 'process'

Unread 22-05-2016, 09:35 AM
ryanMUFC

A lot of it has been shit to watch but the funny thing is that he's won a European cup and people that watch a bit of skysports think they know better than him.

Positives:
- Beaten Liverpool in every league game.
- Signed Martial.
- The only time he lost to City was when that @#%&! Smalling got sent off.
- He's given players like Rashford, Lingard, CBJ + TFM a go at first team football, all of shown potential.
- Winning a Manchester derby with an 18 year old Manc scoring the winner.
- Winning the F.A cup.

Unread 22-05-2016, 09:40 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripDownMiseryLane
People underestimate what a colossal job it was, and is, to fix/modernise the broken machine that is MUFC, dating back to 2/3 years before Froggles retirement and people will look back and see that LvG did indeed start a 'process'
Yep. There still a £#%&! load of work to do and just chucking money at it isn't going to cut it. The only hope with the potential arrival of Mourinho is he has contacts and knowledge of players to bring in that won't all cost the earth, can maybe dig up a gem or 2, although his transfer history doesn't necessarily point to that. And if we're utterly beholden to Mendes and his clients then we're in trouble. It has not worked out for Monaco, Valencia l, Sporting etc. having Mendes dictating their transfer policy, parking players etc...

Or United for that matter..

Unread 22-05-2016, 09:41 AM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanMUFC
A lot of it has been shit to watch but the funny thing is that he's won a European cup and people that watch a bit of skysports think they know better than him.

Positives:
- Beaten Liverpool in every league game.
- Signed Martial.
- The only time he lost to City was when that @#%&! Smalling got sent off.
- He's given players like Rashford, Lingard, CBJ + TFM a go at first team football, all of shown potential.
- Winning a Manchester derby with an 18 year old Manc scoring the winner.
- Winning the F.A cup.
Also 'you fat man'

Don't really see him turning it around so definitely time to go, but deserves plenty of credit.

The football though, yeesh.

Unread 22-05-2016, 09:44 AM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Yep. There still a £#%&! load of work to do and just chucking money at it isn't going to cut it. The only hope with the potential arrival of Mourinho is he has contacts and knowledge of players to bring in that won't all cost the earth, can maybe dig up a gem or 2, although his transfer history doesn't necessarily point to that. And if we're utterly beholden to Mendes and his clients then we're in trouble. It has not worked out for Monaco, Valencia l, Sporting etc. having Mendes dictating their transfer policy, parking players etc...

Or United for that matter..
Indeed. Anybody thinking he's just going to come on, flick a switch and have us hoovering up trophies is sorely mistaken.

There's a lot of work to do and it's the biggest challenged of his career.

Plus side, he attracts players. I want him to install a winning mentality again. One of the biggest issues of the last 3 years has been just how £#%&!ing meek we've become.

I wouldn't mind a bit of @#%&!, to be fair.

Unread 22-05-2016, 09:52 AM
ryanMUFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
Also 'you fat man'

Don't really see him turning it around so definitely time to go, but deserves plenty of credit.

Fat man, POTY awards, The comment on hairpulling, Louis Van Gaal's army...all good times.

I don't think he's to blame for Di Maria being a shithouse or Falcao being past it. We were unlucky in his first season and PLAGUED with injuries. This season he probably got rid of too many players but those he got rid of weren't pulling their weight or reliable anyway. He's left the club in a better position for the next manager than Ferguson and Moyes did.

Unread 22-05-2016, 09:56 AM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Fat man, POTY awards, The comment on hairpulling, Louis Van Gaal's army...all good times.

I don't think he's to blame for Di Maria being a shithouse or Falcao being past it. We were unlucky in his first season and PLAGUED with injuries. This season he probably got rid of too many players but those he got rid of weren't pulling their weight or reliable anyway. He's left the club in a better position for the next manager than Ferguson and Moyes did.
It's rather damning that many of his best moments have nothing to do with actual football.

We always knew he'd be good value for money in the bants stakes, but it's not been reflected on the pitch enough.

I like the guy. Always have and still do. I like him more than the guy we're going to replace him with. But I want the other guy in more.

Unread 22-05-2016, 10:00 AM
ziggyman17

I like Van Gaal and if he was 10 years younger then I would have liked to see him stay on as manager, but the fact that he is retiring next year means we have to look at (hopefully) long term options..

Unread 22-05-2016, 10:04 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
Also 'you fat man'

In a nutshell

Unread 22-05-2016, 10:08 AM
75Red

Quote:

He's left the club in a better position for the next manager than Ferguson and Moyes did.
I think so too.
I wanted him gone, but I do think the club is better prepared for the future now and I reckon in a year or two he'll be viewed more positively by most of us who wanted him out. Whereas Moyes....never.

Also gutted that it's happened like it has. A couple of days ago I posted here that I wanted him gone by 8pm Saturday but that was just me running my mouth after that turgid first half on Tuesday night. The way this has happened is shit and it's resulted in the media attention being all about him going and not about us winning the cup.

Unread 22-05-2016, 10:08 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
Indeed. Anybody thinking he's just going to come on, flick a switch and have us hoovering up trophies is sorely mistaken.

There's a lot of work to do and it's the biggest challenged of his career.

Plus side, he attracts players. I want him to install a winning mentality again. One of the biggest issues of the last 3 years has been just how £#%&!ing meek we've become.

I wouldn't mind a bit of @#%&!, to be fair.
Same - missus getting it tonite
Closed Thread