United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 21-05-2016, 09:10 PM
Darmian_fan

Default Sad to see it didn't work out for LVG at united! :(

Now that BBC has finally reported, I guess LVG will finally leave.

I understand very well LVG has to go, but I'm really disappointed with the way things have panned out for him at United.

There were so many times we were at the cusp of reaching the targets this season and then we gave away those chances, for example, missing so many chances against PSV in the first half at OT and throughout the match at Philips stadium which played pivotal role in failing to qualify from the group, not even managing a draw against WHU after having the lead etc.. Missing these chances is eventually what led LVG to the sacking. Had he reached the 2nd round of UCL and the 4th spot in the EPL, I guess he would still be at the job.

I really rate him as a football manager and a tactician, did great things at Ajax, promoted so many great young players, played the mentor to so many great modern coaches, yet he has had his fair share of failures as well. It's kinda sad that he ended with a failure at United as well.

I would have liked him to succeed here, but he really made some poor signings, like Rojo, Di Maria, Depay, Darmian, Schneiderlin etc. These players really under-performed and that's why he has lost the job.

At least he ends with a silver lining by winning the FA Cup. Good bye LVG. Good luck with the retirement.

Unread 21-05-2016, 09:12 PM
armchair

I'll pass that on to him.

Unread 21-05-2016, 09:15 PM
Whip Hubley

Thumbs up

Good post. Initially I thought most of his signings were very good. Until we found out they were shit

Ifs and buts, I honestly think Shaw's injury was the biggest factor in us not getting top four. We were building up a head of steam and, astonishingly, top at one point.

I'd prefer to remember the positives rather than the glaring negatives - I understood what he was trying to do with the football, but it was £#%&!ing shit to watch most of the time and he should have corrected that a lot sooner. I guess when you've been around as long as he has you stick to what had brought you half decent success.

I actually think in a few years he'll be remembered in a more positive way because of the game time he's given a lot of the youngsters. Whether he was forced into it or not, they have been the saving grace of this season when not getting top 4 was unforgivable (as it has proved).

He's had his moments though and you can't argue with winning the cup. Magic.

Time to boil some scouse piss with Mourinho.

Unread 21-05-2016, 09:15 PM
red in cumbria

A terrible shame it didn't work out as we all hoped, and in some ways he *was* unlucky.

But in some respects he didn't help himself, the mad £#%&!er

Unread 21-05-2016, 09:18 PM
saffers

Unread 21-05-2016, 09:19 PM
Lok

We all wanted it to work out. His madness matched with results would have been the perfect combination.

Unfortunately he did very little right in his time here. There's a few good memories (today, dippers away, end of season awards etc...) but in general it's been the worst football we've ever played. I could put up with the results but not the performances.

His stubbornness was his downfall and he clearly lost the support of most of the players many months ago. If Madrid didn't £#%&! up the DDG transfer he'd have probably gone at xmas.

Thanks for promoting a few youngsters (when he had no choice) but goodbye.

armchair

tbh I think it did work out for him. He only wanted 2 seasons. I think most of his important work was transitioning United from a personal fiefdom that had become dysfunctional into a properly run big club. It was mainly about providing a structure that United didn't have.

Luffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigMikeA
Good post. Initially I thought most of his signings were very good. Until we found out they were shit

Ifs and buts, I honestly think Shaw's injury was the biggest factor in us not getting top four. We were building up a head of steam and, astonishingly, top at one point.

I'd prefer to remember the positives rather than the glaring negatives - I understood what he was trying to do with the football, but it was £#%&!ing shit to watch most of the time and he should have corrected that a lot sooner. I guess when you've been around as long as he has you stick to what had brought you half decent success.

I actually think in a few years he'll be remembered in a more positive way because of the game time he's given a lot of the youngsters. Whether he was forced into it or not, they have been the saving grace of this season when not getting top 4 was unforgivable (as it has proved).

Still think he's the one who's ruined players rather than anything else.

Unread 21-05-2016, 09:20 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
tbh I think it did work out for him. He only wanted 2 seasons. I think most of his important work was transitioning United from a personal fiefdom that had become dysfunctional into a properly run big club. It was mainly about providing a structure that United didn't have.
The wife (NWAF) just asked if he'll be seen as a 'failure'. No chance. He won't be seen as a success, but it's not been disastrous (except to watch). There's some shit to get rid of in terms of playing staff but otherwise we're in good shape

Unread 21-05-2016, 09:22 PM
Clarkie

Going with his head held high....Winning the first trophy post Fergie, with a local lad, who he gave a chance to on his very first league match, scoring a beauty of a winner.

Top bloke, unlimited respect, disappointed it wasn't as successful but, it just fell below expectations.

Unread 21-05-2016, 09:22 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy
Still think he's the one who's ruined players rather than anything else.
Ruined Rashford, Martial, Lingard, Smalling, Shaw (pre injury), blind? Ruined Rooney's semi Renaissance as a midfielder? Nah. You see what you want but for every player he's supposedly ruined (ADM? Shithouse. Depay? Just shit) he's had success in the playing staff

Unread 21-05-2016, 09:25 PM
Darmian_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigMikeA

He really needed at least Depay, Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger to perform. We missed the creativity from midfield and defense also needed more protection. Yes, 35 goals may be least conceded in the current league, but in all honesty to compare with top class football of any era, that's a pretty average defensive record for any top team and let's not go into the fact that we only scored 49 goals, that's down right horrendous.

Possession football is important for big clubs, Barcelona's and Bayern's success has a lot to do with that, but there weren't enough creative players in the side to make use of the possession.

Apart from Martial, Rashford (he only played half a season) there isn't really a top class talent in the creative department of the team, it's no wonder LVG failed, he really needed to sign more top draw creative players instead of mediocre ones like Depay.

But I must congratulate him for showing that United can still produce young players like Rashford, Borthwick Jackson, Fosu Mensah. He really did do nice things with the youth. I hope Mourinho don't ruin them.

Unread 21-05-2016, 09:47 PM
MagnificentSeven

said it before, i'm more gutted for lvg than i ever was for moyes. we all knew moyes was going to be a failure, but at with van gaal we had a manager with pedigree, and thus our expectations were higher.

despite all that went wrong under him there's a few positives to take. winning our first trophy since fergie retired, signing martial and shaw, and bringing through young players like rashford. he's done more than gollum ever did, at least.

cheers louis

Unread 21-05-2016, 09:51 PM
ZiggyStardust

Unlike some I won't be celebrating his departure like with Moyes but it had to happen
Even if things were going fairly well I think he'd have to go as you can't be going into a season with a lame duck manager who all the players know was retiring at the end of the season
Would have been a disaster

Unread 21-05-2016, 09:53 PM
TheKitchenSink

He's had some shit luck as far as injuries go. We've just never been able to build up any real momentum under Van Gaal. Every time we seemed to be on the brink of something, an injury or stupid mistake knocked us back a few steps. The media were constantly shit stirring as well, which didn't help.

Overall the football has been poor, no question, but no hard feelings from me towards LVG. I think he genuinely gave it his best, and it's ended with a trophy so fair play. Time to move on and hopefully forward.

Unread 21-05-2016, 09:56 PM
My Name is Keith

The expectation level was the killer for me. Everyone knew Moyes was shit. Van gaal was a gigantic disappointment though - a huge reputation struck down by way too many wtf moments to even try to remember.

I think armers point about lvg forcing the club to shed a skin is right though - and important.

Unread 21-05-2016, 10:00 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
We all wanted it to work out. His madness matched with results would have been the perfect combination.

Unfortunately he did very little right in his time here. There's a few good memories (today, dippers away, end of season awards etc...) but in general it's been the worst football we've ever played. I could put up with the results but not the performances.

His stubbornness was his downfall and he clearly lost the support of most of the players many months ago. If Madrid didn't £#%&! up the DDG transfer he'd have probably gone at xmas.

Thanks for promoting a few youngsters (when he had no choice) but goodbye.

Unread 21-05-2016, 10:01 PM
Buck

Brought a lot of this on himself. I think had he been younger and looking forward to years ahead in the job he would have done things much differently. It's nice that he'll leave with a medal and another trophy to his name but it really got to a stage where he went beyond return.

I find it strange that he abandoned his "philosophy" for the 2014 World Cup citing that besides Robben and RvP (a fading force) the rest were very average. Yet he came here and tried to force his style and an ethos onto a bunch of players who don't fit. We haven't seen a tactical genius, a footballing innovator and tbh his bullish confidence faded.

Ultimately his name will only have a small stamp in Utd's history and Utd will just be a footnote on his record of achievements.

Wish him well in retirement.

Unread 21-05-2016, 10:09 PM
Mr_Ed

Think everyone wanted him to succeed. Some of his player positions and substitutions baffled - Nick Powell for example.

Sorry it didn't work out but we've gone backwards... Albeit with a pot.

Unread 21-05-2016, 10:10 PM
20 times

£#%&! him
Closed Thread