Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 07-07-2009, 04:06 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Baroo
thick @#%&!
Theirs jist now need for that.

Back to the original topic though, De Rossi would be ideal.But we've not even been linked with him and there's not even been a whisper of him leaving Rome.Has there?

Unread 07-07-2009, 04:08 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
Back to the original topic though, De Rossi would be ideal.But we've not even been linked with him and there's not even been a whisper of him leaving Rome.Has there?
Far more box to box than creative, although he can pick a pass. I'd have him here if we couldn't get Essien. Someone mentioned he'd split with his Mrs & has a young kid, so leaving Italy is probably a £#%&!ing great big no no.

How about Joe Cole?

Unread 07-07-2009, 04:09 PM
Coracao

Yes, Chelsea who will probably be our closest challengers for the title are going to sell us one of their players.

They wouldn't even sell us Shevchenko, let alone Joe Cole.

Cloud cuckoo land.

Unread 07-07-2009, 04:10 PM
Billy Baroo

if the price was right i'd rather have deco over joe cole

Unread 07-07-2009, 04:15 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron_van_Marlon
Duly noted, however... I'll definitely stick to the principle that he's not the creative type the way Giggs, or Scholes, or the others I mentioned are. His power, pace, foot speed etc I hope wont be in doubt, but his ability to pick a pass, try a trick in a tight spot etc, I think that is still going to be missing.
Perhaps he's not as creative as those players in terms of his passing, but I don't always think it's particularly creativity we're lacking in midfield, more players being positive and breaking forward, carrying the ball and penetrating the opposition from that area. That's just my view, anyway. Valencia has given the likes of Brazil and Argentina huge problems in matches I've seen with this type of thing. Obviously it remains to be seen whether this is in Fergie's thinking, but I think Valencia could do a job similar to the one we wanted Anderson to do at times last year. He's a good, strong positive runner with a dangerous shot on him. He could be a real goal threat () coming from a central area, imo.

Unread 07-07-2009, 04:16 PM
Baron

Quote:
The wrecking ball headed Cole has surely had much, much better performances in England than Deco though. He's been shit apart from half a dozen games at the start of last season. & he's 4 years older. & he can't tackle. & he's a little @#%&!.

Joe Cole ftw

Chelsea might not mind selling Cole if their manager approves it, if Cole wants it & we offer a decent fee. They have Zhirkov, Malouda, Kalou & Anelka who can all play that wide man role after all.

Unread 07-07-2009, 04:17 PM
borsuk

Quote:
scholes > deco in their primes and scholes has lost less than deco imo

deco doesn't give us what we need, though. he could be another (slightly worse) scholes but he couldn't give us what giggs intermittently gave us last year.

i'd love anderson to do it, but he'll need to be playing further up and to be given more freedom than he has been to date.

as i said, sneijder seems the best option for us atm. i'd be delighted to see him come in tbh.

Unread 07-07-2009, 04:18 PM
Billy Baroo

Quote:
The wrecking ball headed Cole has surely had much, much better performances in England than Deco though. He's been shit apart from half a dozen games at the start of last season. & he's 4 years older. & he can't tackle. & he's a little @#%&!.

Joe Cole ftw

Chelsea might not mind selling Cole if their manager approves it, if Cole wants it & we offer a decent fee. They have Zhirkov, Malouda, Kalou & Anelka who can all play that wide man role after all.
if you're looking for a creative force to dictate play the deco is as close to replacing scholes as there is for me

the side was so narrow at chelsea with ballack and lampard in and around him, and the directness of their play up to drogba it wasn't suited to him. he was a much more effective player with anelka playing up front alone and making runs and space in behind for him

Unread 07-07-2009, 04:22 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
if you're looking for a creative force to dictate play the deco is as close to replacing scholes as there is for me

the side was so narrow at chelsea with ballack and lampard in and around him, and the directness of their play up to drogba it wasn't suited to him. he was a much more effective player with anelka playing up front alone and making runs and space in behind for him
I've always been a huge fan of Deco and would have loved United to have signed him from Porto, but I think his time has gone now. He picked up a lot of niggling injuries last season and I'm not sure he's got the same hunger and appetite as he had before, which was always a very important (and underrated) part of his game.

Unread 07-07-2009, 04:22 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:

hardly a spring chicken though, i certainly don't rate him any higher than scholesy. either in level or consistency.

Unread 07-07-2009, 04:23 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Perhaps he's not as creative as those players in terms of his passing, but I don't always think it's particularly creativity we're lacking in midfield, more players being positive and breaking forward, carrying the ball and penetrating the opposition from that area. That's just my view, anyway. Valencia has given the likes of Brazil and Argentina huge problems in matches I've seen with this type of thing. Obviously it remains to be seen whether this is in Fergie's thinking, but I think Valencia could do a job similar to the one we wanted Anderson to do at times last year. He's a good, strong positive runner with a dangerous shot on him. He could be a real goal threat () coming from a central area, imo.
I remember his goal against City, an absolute rocket from 20 yards, we definitely miss that from our play since Scholes & even Rooney borderline refuse to shoot from distance. Everyone bar Nani deferred to Ronnie these last two seasons. I think Cole would provide a threat across the whole advanced midfield role, linking the slightly more defensively minded others to the front, leaving Berbs & Rooney to do their damage further forward where both have been at their most prolific as individuals.

As I said in the opening post, Fergie likes to go to a domestic rival, stump up a wedge & get someone in that would be good to go asap.

Unread 07-07-2009, 04:24 PM
Baron

Quote:

a 27 year old Deco would have been a shoe-in, but he's gone mentally & physically - and a lot younger than Scholes did. There are flashes of his undoubted talent, but his attitude & his mentality aren't United standard these days.

Unread 07-07-2009, 04:25 PM
Coracao

Quote:
I remember his goal against City, an absolute rocket from 20 yards, we definitely miss that from our play since Scholes & even Rooney borderline refuse to shoot from distance. Everyone bar Nani deferred to Ronnie these last two seasons. I think Cole would provide a threat across the whole advanced midfield role, linking the slightly more defensively minded others to the front, leaving Berbs & Rooney to do their damage further forward where both have been at their most prolific as individuals.

As I said in the opening post, Fergie likes to go to a domestic rival, stump up a wedge & get someone in that would be good to go asap.
Joe Cole is an absolute non-starter.

Unread 07-07-2009, 04:26 PM
Switching Off

I would take Cole in a heartbeat. £15m max. Think he'd link up well with Rooney.

Big ifs but if Anderson and Nani can finally perform (not saying Anderson hasn't done well but he's supposed to be a Brazilian attacking midfielder and he hasnt lived up tothat) and a good season from Berbatov and we can dominate this league and still push for Europe.

Unread 07-07-2009, 04:38 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Joe Cole is an absolute non-starter.
There were plenty of rumours last summer about the Scouse sniffing around him, he'd not jump out of the frying pan as it were to that shower but if Fergie comes knocking I can see it being a different story.

Unread 07-07-2009, 04:39 PM
Part 36 Offer

Good accurate posting from S/side tbh

I remember someone else mentioning that Valencia had played predominantly centrally for Ecuador and that he certainly has the capacity to play there.

I think it may have been Sloane. Marlo attempted to laugh him off the forum.

Unread 07-07-2009, 04:42 PM
Throw

His Nan's a midget.

Unread 07-07-2009, 04:42 PM
Billy Baroo

Quote:
There were plenty of rumours last summer about the Scouse sniffing around him, he'd not jump out of the frying pan as it were to that shower but if Fergie comes knocking I can see it being a different story.
yeah, but the @#%&! was made by tefal and according to throw his dad is an actual dwarf

Unread 07-07-2009, 04:46 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throw
His Nan's a midget.
Quote:
yeah, but the @#%&! was made by tefal and according to throw his dad is an actual dwarf

Close

Some of the best players in the world are small in stature.

I could see Cole doing well due to an under estimation of his talents in this country compared with a jonny foriegner (just like the ones I championed!).

Unread 07-07-2009, 04:47 PM
JakeB

I'd love us to sign Cole, won't happen though! Is he fit and training now?
Closed Thread