United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 17-08-2009, 02:45 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloe Blacc
Talkin of Kacar, 2 goals in 2 league games for Hertha. Team of bundesliga in each week.
I've mentioned him before. Think he'd be ideal.

Unread 17-08-2009, 02:48 PM
SilverSurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
In the center of the park we have several options who are all sideshows, as it were, they all need someone to play alongside there isn't really a decent partnership amongst them, they get by but require an oustanding player to lay alongside.
Agreed with all of your post. My concern is that we've got too many good players, but not enough great ones. This is harsh, I know, but as Fletcher missed that chance on Sunday, I couldn't help but think "Lampard wouldn't have missed that". Tough I know, but it's that little bit extra that turns good into great.

There's been a couple of posts this summer about Bryan Robson and a player like him is exactly what we need. Not just the threat from the midfield and ability to power forward but someone of whom you can say "he's not even a gamble, this lad, as he's pure gold."

Problem is that there aren't too many names out there. The ones that are being thrown up are all young and inexperienced. I don't want us to get into another Anderson situation, namely young talent identified early but still years off the finished article.

Rooney apart, there's very few in our squad in the midfield and attack who are 23,24,25 who are proven to have what it takes at a highest level to be outstanding and all that's needed is a bit more consistency brought to their game. That's what the dippers got with Torres (unfortunately) and we don't have right now. Besides his goals, this is what we've lost with Ronaldo.

Unread 17-08-2009, 02:49 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
Agree with you on Fletcher, thought he was absolutely top class, getting from box to box, good range of passing and got his foot in well. If perhaps this current kick up Carrick's arse, if as I suspect that's what it is, works then I think him and Fletch can be a very good pairing. Tbh, i think Anderson and Fletcher can be good too which is why I was so urprised at him being benched for Scholes. I'd have loved us to have gotten another attacking midfielder but as things stand we've some good players in there who need to step up and perform to their best, if they do then there won't be a problem.
I was surprised Scholesy started, but then if Fergie wants to use the squad, and bring a bit of nous to the starting XI, & realistically knowing the oppo should be a bit rusty themselves. Who better than Scholes to start.

Anderson - when his chances come this season - wants to make himself undroppable as it were. Adding goals & consistency to his talent, and maybe the ability to do it over 90mins rather than 70. Still no mad rush for a lad only 22 years old though.

That Kacar lad - I'm waiting to see him play on ESPN, but he's certainly not hung about has he.

Unread 17-08-2009, 02:50 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer
There's been a couple of posts this summer about Bryan Robson and a player like him is exactly what we need. Not just the threat from the midfield and ability to power forward but someone of whom you can say "he's not even a gamble, this lad, as he's pure gold."

Problem is that there aren't too many names out there. The ones that are being thrown up are all young and inexperienced. I don't want us to get into another Anderson situation, namely young talent identified early but still years off the finished article.
That would have been De Rossi.

Unread 17-08-2009, 02:55 PM
SilverSurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron_van_Marlon
That would have been De Rossi.
I'd love to see him here - said so on Serenity's thread a while back - and I'd imagine that he'd come here ahead of anywhere else in Italy if Roma sold. Neither party seem overtly keen on a move though. Wish we'd test the water to check.

Unread 17-08-2009, 02:56 PM
dunk

I can live with the forward line, Macheda and Welbeck will get a good bit of playing time to enable them to improve over the course of the season, on top of the other 3, plus the likes of Petrucci, Cofie, King, Ngoo and others in reserve/youth, I can understand the wish to not stifle the talent with signings.

The midfield, not so much. Cleverley will be a good player, not so sure he is big enough to play centrally though. Matt James is a sure thing for me, beyond that we are buying and producing very similar central players, Possebon and Gibson aren't too different from each other. No real power, no attacking threat (Gibson's long range shooting aside). Which is why that is the area I would look to bolster. It's no shame to have to look to bring a replacement for Scholes in from outside the club, he is one the greats, very difficult to replace.

Unread 17-08-2009, 03:00 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
I'd love to see him here - said so on Serenity's thread a while back - and I'd imagine that he'd come here ahead of anywhere else in Italy if Roma sold. Neither party seem overtly keen on a move though. Wish we'd test the water to check.
As I understand it Roma have said publicly that he isn't for sale and De Rossi himself has said he wants to stay unless they want to sell him.

Unread 17-08-2009, 06:47 PM
Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
I can live with the forward line, Macheda and Welbeck will get a good bit of playing time to enable them to improve over the course of the season, on top of the other 3, plus the likes of Petrucci, Cofie, King, Ngoo and others in reserve/youth, I can understand the wish to not stifle the talent with signings.

The midfield, not so much. Cleverley will be a good player, not so sure he is big enough to play centrally though. Matt James is a sure thing for me, beyond that we are buying and producing very similar central players, Possebon and Gibson aren't too different from each other. No real power, no attacking threat (Gibson's long range shooting aside). Which is why that is the area I would look to bolster. It's no shame to have to look to bring a replacement for Scholes in from outside the club, he is one the greats, very difficult to replace.
I can't agree with that, Ryan Tunnicliffe is every bit the dynamic box to box midfielder that we'd all love to see in a United side. At times he reminds me of Gerrard, it remains to be seen if he can progress to the first team squad but i really like the look of him. i also think Robbie Brady has the ability, they tend to play him wide at the moment in the youth team, but his best position is central midfield IMO and apart from being skillful and creative he isn't afraid of putting his foot in.

There's no certainty that these lads will make it, but we aren't producing just Carrick like midfielders. Petrucci and Morrisson are also attacking midfielders and they could be a bit special.

Unread 17-08-2009, 06:59 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman
I can't agree with that, Ryan Tunnicliffe is every bit the dynamic box to box midfielder that we'd all love to see in a United side. At times he reminds me of Gerrard, it remains to be seen if he can progress to the first team squad but i really like the look of him. i also think Robbie Brady has the ability, they tend to play him wide at the moment in the youth team, but his best position is central midfield IMO and apart from being skillful and creative he isn't afraid of putting his foot in.

There's no certainty that these lads will make it, but we aren't producing just Carrick like midfielders. Petrucci and Morrisson are also attacking midfielders and they could be a bit special.
Yes, but the players you mention have barely appeared for the reserves yet, so we have no idea if they are going to be good enough and they aren't going to trouble the 1st team for 3-4 years. The one's that are options or likely to be options in that time are all a bit similar, Gibson and Possebon being the most likely. By the time Brady, Tunnicliffe, Petrucci (more of a deep lying striker from what I've seen) and Morrison come through Carrick will be well in his 30's, as will Hargreaves (if he is still alive) and Scholes will be well retired. We will need something in-between, to supplement what is coming through, in other words signings now will not stifle the kids coming through in the way a striker signing would.

My hopes are pinned on Matt James managed to come in at 18-19 at this point. He's got the stature and ability I reckon.

Unread 17-08-2009, 08:50 PM
The Watcher

Thumbs up

Quote:
Agreed with all of your post. My concern is that we've got too many good players, but not enough great ones. This is harsh, I know, but as Fletcher missed that chance on Sunday, I couldn't help but think "Lampard wouldn't have missed that". Tough I know, but it's that little bit extra that turns good into great.

Rooney apart, there's very few in our squad in the midfield and attack who are 23,24,25 who are proven to have what it takes at a highest level to be outstanding and all that's needed is a bit more consistency brought to their game. That's what the dippers got with Torres (unfortunately) and we don't have right now. Besides his goals, this is what we've lost with Ronaldo.
Excellent post, totally agree.
Closed Thread