Default Torres is now officially the best striker

IN THE WORLD!!!!!

A hat-trick against Reading

Unread 25-09-2007, 09:35 PM
Rhodzy

We fired blanks against them though

Unread 25-09-2007, 09:36 PM
Mao's Favourite Starling

He should have joined the best team in the world!

Super CIDDY with their last minute winner

Unread 25-09-2007, 09:36 PM
£#%&! KFC

we fired blanks aghainst their first team

Unread 25-09-2007, 09:38 PM
Mao's Favourite Starling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodzy
We fired blanks against them though

They had their first choice keeper against us and he had a blinder!

They have got that italian clown in goal tonight

Unread 25-09-2007, 10:03 PM
programmes?

You forget, he is up against that colossus of defending, Michael Duberry.

Unread 25-09-2007, 10:22 PM
Tiberian

In truth I am gutted he went to Liverpool. He would have been the perfect alternative to Saha,a genuine front man and an excellent all round player.

Much rather have him than Tevez.

Unread 25-09-2007, 10:27 PM
Whalefish

Why one or the other? Why not have Rooney, Tevez and Torres instead?

I'd have no complaints ditching the unreliable Saha for the other even if I'm not entirely convinced Torres will be consistant over a season. I'd prefer Berbatov over both as well.

Unread 25-09-2007, 11:04 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
Why one or the other? Why not have Rooney, Tevez and Torres instead?

I'd have no complaints ditching the unreliable Saha for the other even if I'm not entirely convinced Torres will be consistant over a season. I'd prefer Berbatov over both as well.
Berbatov is a good player, but he is not fast and seems to have something of a n attitude problem, turns it on when he wants to instead of when the team needs him, constantly berates his team mates, do not know if that would go down well at a big club full of egos.

Out of Saha, Torres, Berbatov and Tevez I would have picked Tevez last though.

The hype around Tevez seems entirely based on his performances in South America, which can be unreliable or the likes of Martin Palermo. D'Alessandro, etc would be the leading players in the world game these days.

Teves still has an awful lot to prove, You may think that Saha is unreliable, but in the Premier League his is a proven quality.

Unread 25-09-2007, 11:17 PM
rubbernecker

Default F

We need a good old fashioned lump of a centre forward with elbows like Ong Bak

Unread 25-09-2007, 11:28 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Berbatov is a good player, but he is not fast and seems to have something of a n attitude problem, turns it on when he wants to instead of when the team needs him, constantly berates his team mates, do not know if that would go down well at a big club full of egos.

Out of Saha, Torres, Berbatov and Tevez I would have picked Tevez last though.

The hype around Tevez seems entirely based on his performances in South America, which can be unreliable or the likes of Martin Palermo. D'Alessandro, etc would be the leading players in the world game these days.

Teves still has an awful lot to prove, You may think that Saha is unreliable, but in the Premier League his is a proven quality.
I know he has a lot to prove, but the subtle digs and sniping on here just makes me chuckle. The cynicism because he's South American as well. They aren't all mid table La Liga players ya know.

I'm not one to wish we had someone else either just because they scored a few goals for our rivals. I've noticed a few comments/threads elsewhere by folk no doubt crying into their warm milk tonight.

Berbatov not being fast is a bit of a myth IMO and his all round game is that good he doesn't need lightning pace either. For touch and technique alone I don't think there's another striker in the Premiership who can touch him. Whether he's what Utd need instad of Saha though is a different debate. This view that we have to have a striker with Henry esque pace is £#%&!ing stupid too. Bellion was quick, he's banging them in again, quick get the cheque book out David. There's more to pace IMO. Saha has it in bundles but he unfortunately has a tendency to not use his brain when on the ball and fails to do something basic like looking up and spotting a pass.

Unread 25-09-2007, 11:32 PM
firesale

The overhead kick that narrowly missed at the weekend was something else.

Tevez is a different player. Torres will never have his vision nor awareness.

Unread 25-09-2007, 11:36 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by firesale
The overhead kick that narrowly missed at the weekend was something else.

Tevez is a different player. Torres will never have his vision nor awareness.
Again not sure how he'll develop under Benitez so I wouldn't like to comment but I don't see much point comparing two strikers who are completely diffferent in style and in the way they play.

It's like comparing Hargreaves and Xavi just because they're both midfielders. It only just scratches the surface really.

Anyhoo I'm sure they'll both do well. I quite like the look of that Eduardo too. Will take some time settling in but looks to have something about him.

Edit: Not having a pop at Tibs btw...

Unread 25-09-2007, 11:39 PM
Rhodzy

Our scouts are shite tbh aren't they. (not about Torres, just generally shite)

Unread 25-09-2007, 11:40 PM
firesale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
Again not sure how he'll develop under Benitez so I wouldn't like to comment but I don't see much point comparing two strikers who are completely diffferent in style and in the way they play.

It's like comparing Hargreaves and Xavi just because they're both midfielders. It only just scratches the surface really.

Anyhoo I'm sure they'll both do well. I quite like the look of that Eduardo too. Will take some time settling in but looks to have something about him.
for me he's at the wrong club - looks a natural but squad rotation isn't going to suit him. For some reason @#%&! seems to be rated higher.

he'd be an ideal replacement for the rare occasions Saha isn't fit

Unread 25-09-2007, 11:42 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by firesale
for me he's at the wrong club - looks a natural but squad rotation isn't going to suit him. For some reason @#%&! seems to be rated higher.

he'd be an ideal replacement for the rare occasions Saha isn't fit
A friend of mine reckons something similar. A player better suited to the ball along the ground. Whilst I don't consider Liverpool a long ball team they do use that outlet an awful lot.

I haven't really watched an awful lot of Liverpool since he arrived. Highlights mainly but he looks to be doing ok considering.

Unread 26-09-2007, 08:59 AM
wiganste

Torres' goals this season

1 v Chelsea (fair enough)
2 v Derby - £#%&!ing hell, any decent striker should score a couple past that lot
3 v Reading reserves. Magic

He does look good, probably too good for that lot. But I'm still not sure about him. I like Tevez. He gets stuck in and he's got a fat arse like Hughesie. Always good for sticking it into a defender and holding the ball up.

I bet anyone on here that Tevez ends up with more medals than Torres this season.

Unread 26-09-2007, 09:03 AM
MUFC One Love

Torres does look excellent tbh. However I don't think he will fulfil his potential there. He's already been benched the last 2 league games which is stupid, Liverpool had a good chance to race off like we did last season but they have £#%&!ed it up allowing us to catch them.

Just my feeling is that Torres would have rather have joined us but we couldn't afford him and he would have fit in superbly.

Tevez is a different player, let's not forget just how good Tevez is when he gets going. He's played one game with Rooney and a few with Ronnie, wait until we settle down as a team he will be top class.

Unread 26-09-2007, 09:06 AM
Whalefish

Couldn't afford him or didn't want him?

If media reports are to be believed the striker Fergie wants is Berbatov. Looks like another Hargreaves scenario IMO, waiting to get 'their' man. Albeit a very overpriced man....

Unread 26-09-2007, 09:07 AM
MUFC One Love

Phil, imo we just couldn't afford him, why chase him for so long? Berbatov seems like a recent target. If some accounts are to be believed we didn't even want Tevez originally.
Closed Thread