Default Re: If money was no object, what needs to be done this summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
Pedantic @#%&!?

that's two words btw

Unread 12-04-2010, 07:40 PM
S/Side.Red

Clearly, we need another midfielder. After that, another quality option in attack would be nice. Someone who can play across the front, both as a central striker and out wide if needed. Hulk from Porto would be good: good age, pacey, strong, versatile and still learning so wouldn't have to play every game. Not him, though, because he'd cost a fortune.

Unread 12-04-2010, 07:47 PM
Sandman

We need 2 or 3 central midfielders.

Unread 12-04-2010, 07:48 PM
safingtons

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Clearly, we need another midfielder. After that, another quality option in attack would be nice. Someone who can play across the front, both as a central striker and out wide if needed. Hulk from Porto would be good: good age, pacey, strong, versatile and still learning so wouldn't have to play every game. Not him, though, because he'd cost a fortune.
Thats been my thinking in regards to midfielders and strikers, we need someone who can cover the left side due to Giggsy aging and sticking Nanners on the right to give Big Tony a kick up the arse.

2 midfielders + a striker that can operate on the left and we would win the European cup next season

If we want to win the European cup next season that would mean De Rossi, Silva and Benzema/Suarez/Jovetic.

I don't see how unrealistic it is looking at it closely, the Glazers must surely be wanting to look after their big investment, they would be in trouble if they didn't strengthen in the summer.

If Roma win the league now, then I can see De Rossi finally leaving, Roma are still in financial trouble too I believe, they couldnt demand more than £25m knowing prices for Italian players.

Silva wouldn't cost more than £22m, get a striker along with those two and we'd be laughing. The target should be to oust Barca, its really not that hard to win the league.

Unread 12-04-2010, 07:51 PM
safingtons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman
We need 2 or 3 central midfielders.
3? Are you mad?

Even 2 would see us overpopulated still.

Cannot see Fergie getting rid of 3 or 4 players.

If Carrick is sold and Scholes retires then 2 is all we need, unless you want Anderson sold or something which would be a disgraceful thing.

2 new players + Fletcher, Anderson, Cleverley and Hargreaves(hehe) should be our midfield options next season.

Unread 12-04-2010, 07:52 PM
Sandman

Silva doesn't play on the left and he hasn't done for quite a while, his best position is playing behind a front three. De Rossi will not leave Roma if they're in the champions league next season.

Unread 12-04-2010, 07:52 PM
Billy Bigbollox

Quote:
Originally Posted by safingtons
3? Are you mad?

Even 2 would see us overpopulated still.

Cannot see Fergie getting rid of 3 or 4 players.

If Carrick is sold and Scholes retires then 2 is all we need, unless you want Anderson sold or something which would be a disgraceful thing.

2 new players + Fletcher, Anderson, Cleverley and Hargreaves(hehe) should be our midfield options next season.
Hargreaves is fooked though, we won't see him again

Unread 12-04-2010, 07:59 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Thats been my thinking in regards to midfielders and strikers, we need someone who can cover the left side due to Giggsy aging and sticking Nanners on the right to give Big Tony a kick up the arse.

2 midfielders + a striker that can operate on the left and we would win the European cup next season

If we want to win the European cup next season that would mean De Rossi, Silva and Benzema/Suarez/Jovetic.

I don't see how unrealistic it is looking at it closely, the Glazers must surely be wanting to look after their big investment, they would be in trouble if they didn't strengthen in the summer.

If Roma win the league now, then I can see De Rossi finally leaving, Roma are still in financial trouble too I believe, they couldnt demand more than £25m knowing prices for Italian players.

Silva wouldn't cost more than £22m, get a striker along with those two and we'd be laughing. The target should be to oust Barca, its really not that hard to win the league.
I’m with you on what we need and someone like De Rossi as the primary target because there's an obvious space there, but the likes of Silva and Benzema seem a little excessive to me. I think we need more subtle additions in the attacking areas. Valencia and Nani wide with Rooney through the middle is a great attacking set-up. Any additions to that department would be more about cover/alternative options, rather that two guys like Silva and Benzema who would both expect to be starting 90% of matches. Chicharito settling quickly would be a big bonus.

That said, I suppose in the unlikely event that we get the opportunity to sign Benzema, Fergie would probably find it very difficult to turn down.

Rodwell seems an obvious choice, too. Looks a United/Fergie type signing all the way, especially as the lad comes across well from what I've seen.

Unread 12-04-2010, 08:13 PM
safingtons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman
Silva doesn't play on the left and he hasn't done for quite a while, his best position is playing behind a front three. De Rossi will not leave Roma if they're in the champions league next season.
De Rossi has never hid his admiration for United. If they win the league I can see him being allowed to move on. It would be the best way to go out, Roma will never a chance like this to win the league.

Silva would be playing in a midfield three as the furthest forward linking midfield and attack. His ability to play on the left as ive said would be just a bonus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bigbollox
Hargreaves is fooked though, we won't see him again
Well, we have 6 players there so one of them basically being a crock could just open up a small opportunity for a Pogba or another academy/reserve player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
I’m with you on what we need and someone like De Rossi as the primary target because there's an obvious space there, but the likes of Silva and Benzema seem a little excessive to me. I think we need more subtle additions in the attacking areas. Valencia and Nani wide with Rooney through the middle is a great attacking set-up. Any additions to that department would be more about cover/alternative options, rather that two guys like Silva and Benzema who would both expect to be starting 90% of matches. Chicharito settling quickly would be a big bonus.

That said, I suppose in the unlikely event that we get the opportunity to sign Benzema, Fergie would probably find it very difficult to turn down.

Rodwell seems an obvious choice, too. Looks a United/Fergie type signing all the way, especially as the lad comes across well from what I've seen.
Benzema-Rooney-Nani sounds even better tbf.

And Silva would be as an attacking midfielder infront of Fletch and De Rossi. His versatility is just a bonus.

Rodwell looks a good talent, I really do wonder though how much would he cost, he's only really had one full season, and even then he hasn't been played too much. It would be a joke if we paid a penny over £20m, anything between £15m to £18m sounds about right for a young english talent these days.

If Milner is valued at £28m then how much for Young or Agbonlahor? £40m each? They've gone mad, the English.

Unread 12-04-2010, 08:31 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Milner is valued at £28m

Unread 12-04-2010, 09:43 PM
BulgarianSpectator

I'm expecting a big clear-out with the kids stepping in. Regardless of the contracts that have been offered to the remnants of "the class of 92", I'd be surprised if any stayed. You can argue that they offer experience, but their inclusion in a matchday squad hinders the development of the younger players. Besides, there are still a dozen experienced internationals that have won a lot of trophies in the last few years already here. So the outs are: Nev, Giggs, Scholes, Berbatov, Foster, O'Shea, and possibly Carrick, Anderson.

I'd image the next manager already is lined up. I expect that if we had won either the league or European Cup, Fergie would step down this season (yes #19 still possible...). Maybe he'll hang on one more year now just to see if he can get 19 and/or 4.

Who is needed?
  • Goalkeeper
    Central defender (possibly)
    Attacking Midfielder
    Centre Forward
That's a FAST CENTRE FORWARD who is quick and plays the role centrally and forward... a Torres or Adebayor. Not one who spins around in the centre circle.
The attacking centre-mid could simply be Rooney, when playing with a quick forward and two wingers.
With a fit Hargreaves and Fletcher, the system would be:
----------------CF
-winger------Rooney-----winger
-------Cougar--------FLC
Evra-------CD----CD-------RB
-------------GK

The Mexican might already be the CF we need.
There's Nani, Valencia, Obertan for the wings.
There's a chance Vidic will go and/or Rio isn't fit, so Smalling, Evans and Brown can cover one or both positions.. possibly for RB too if Rafabio are loaned/banned/injured.

Though with everything that's gone on, I wouldn't be surprised if we sold Evra for £15m (Gill: "making a great profit") and bought Gareth Bale from Spurs for £30m (Fergie: "great potential for the future, and I told you we had money to spend").

Unread 12-04-2010, 09:54 PM
Whalefish

Would like to see Rodwell and one from Hamsik/Kacar in. A striker too but can only see that happening if one leaves (Berbatov). What's Huge Ad up to these days?

Cleverley to get an opportunity to play from the left?

I'm conflicted re the defence but wonder if we'll have enough if one CB leaves and Neville retires.

28million for Milner is £#%&!ing madness. Sooner have Stephen Ireland and he's a crazy weird looking kid.

Unread 12-04-2010, 09:55 PM
Sullingtons

Quote:

I don't understand this. Selling Carrick is fair game, but Anderson is a disgrace

£#%&! fat arse off deffo.

Unread 12-04-2010, 09:57 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullingtons
I don't understand this. Selling Carrick is fair game, but Anderson is a disgrace

£#%&! fat arse off deffo.
Wouldn't sell either tbh. As someone mentioned elsewhere recently we've got Giggs and Scholes retiring soon. Wouldn't be a great idea to bin Carrick (or Anderson). Anderson's got fantastic potential needs some good coaching and my size 10s up his arse.

Unread 12-04-2010, 10:41 PM
wee man

The lad Forlan at Athletico looks a prospect. Be interesting to see how he does at Anfield in the Europa Plate semi-final. Keep an eye on him.

Unread 12-04-2010, 10:51 PM
£#%&! KFC

Thumbs down Re: If money was no object, what needs to be done this summer

I'm dreading who the Divs are gonna sign in the summer because it is money no object for those @#%&!s

Unread 13-04-2010, 05:22 AM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by £#%&! KFC
I'm dreading who the Divs are gonna sign in the summer because it is money no object for those @#%&!s
this is citeh we're talking about. they'll find a way to £#%&! it up, nqat.

Unread 13-04-2010, 05:27 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish

28million for Milner is £#%&!ing madness. Sooner have Stephen Ireland and he's a crazy weird looking kid.
Its just a shame Ireland is who he is. Otherwise id be wanting him in. I can see SAF moving for him tbh.
Closed Thread