United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 26-09-2016, 10:29 AM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
McClair was a hugely underrated player in his midfield days tbh.

I've seen some shit on this thread but that is a beaut.

Unread 26-09-2016, 10:36 AM
doudou

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch

Someone posted a video of his "greatest goals" for united a while back - it was a compendium of scuffed shots, scruffy tap-ins and deflections off his arse IIRC (although only robbo managed to score with his #@&%!).

We loved choccy back in the day but watching matches from the late-80s-early-90s period now and you're shocked by the lack of quality and dreadful pitches. I was there watching as a young teenager but I don't think we realised how far behind we'd fallen. Watching Cantona (and, for me, Cruyff's Barcelona) was a little bit like the bit in 2001 when the monkeys work out how to use tools.

Unread 26-09-2016, 10:38 AM
dunk

Quote:

You can be underrated and not be a World beater you know..

McClair did well for United and got tons of shit by default.

Unread 26-09-2016, 10:46 AM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
You can be underrated and not be a World beater you know..

McClair did well for United and got tons of shit by default.
Come on dunk. I knew when I was 9 that Mclair and Phelan only got in the team because they were Ferguson yes men. Hence them still being at the club 20 years later.

Both absolute shit.

Unread 26-09-2016, 10:50 AM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez Quigley
Thank God we traded Nani for Rojo.

Unread 26-09-2016, 11:01 AM
dunk

Quote:
Come on dunk. I knew when I was 9 that Mclair and Phelan only got in the team because they were Ferguson yes men. Hence them still being at the club 20 years later.

Both absolute shit.
Phalan was nqat.

Unread 26-09-2016, 11:12 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:

Both absolute shit.
what a load of shit that old spin was

mcclair was in centre mid for the united side that won the league for the 1st time in 26 years ffs.

he wasn't a natural obvs., but he was far from a passenger on sentiment either.

Unread 26-09-2016, 11:13 AM
shenwen

Quote:

Both absolute shit.
McClair was the Fellaini of his day. His appearance on the team sheet was £#%&!ing depressing. Midfield ffs. His best attribute was knocking in goals. Not that he was particularly great at it, but didn't he break some scoring record that had been around since George Best?

Unread 26-09-2016, 11:18 AM
doudou

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
McClair was the Fellaini of his day. His appearance on the team sheet was £#%&!ing depressing. Midfield ffs. His best attribute was knocking in goals. Not that he was particularly great at it, but didn't he break some scoring record that had been around since George Best?
I think he was the 1st player to score 20 league goals in a season since Best. An indictment it itself tbf

Unread 26-09-2016, 11:22 AM
Tumescent Throb

people now arguing about mcclair and using it as an excuse to slag him off

point i made was that those chipped short passes forward were something mcclair used to try pretty often. always made me laugh that people reacted to eric doing them as if it was some kind of witchcraft, though tbf he was a bit better at it.

Unread 26-09-2016, 11:26 AM
Denis Irwell

First to crack the 30 goal barrier since George, iirc, and he wasn't even a striker.

Whatever... After Birtles, Gibson, Davenport, Ritchie (was ok) Mac Dougall etc .... How far back can you go? We'd not had a striker since the yanks invented the term. Denis and George the last real goal scorers. Ridiculous that it was approaching 20 years. It was a turning point when Choccy arrived.

Unread 26-09-2016, 11:27 AM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
For the Einstein gimps...

https://twitter.com/11tegen11/status/779758253534314496

Errrnmmmmmmm ???!??
Love Daley's big red balls, decorated with some huge erect arrows

Unread 26-09-2016, 01:28 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
But Mourinho the high risk taker is an amusing new line.
Wasn't there a stat a while ago that showed mourinho's teams have scored more than United over a season the majority of the time during the past 13 years? High risk doesn't really apply to any manager. The best want a balance between risk/reward.

Like Fergie, and most managers over history, Mourinho believes in a solid defensive foundation. And like Ferguson, he is cagey occasionally in high profile games which is what most usually watched when he was at other clubs. Where Fergie took more risks than Mourinho is in the last part of the game when losing or drawing. But that's something that set Fergie apart from every manager.

Unread 26-09-2016, 01:38 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
First to crack the 30 goal barrier since George, iirc, and he wasn't even a striker.

Whatever... After Birtles, Gibson, Davenport, Ritchie (was ok) Mac Dougall etc .... How far back can you go? We'd not had a striker since the yanks invented the term. Denis and George the last real goal scorers. Ridiculous that it was approaching 20 years. It was a turning point when Choccy arrived.
Yes he was, in his first season.

Think it was the 20 league goals barrier in fact.

Unread 26-09-2016, 01:39 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
As for Van Gaal, I have never said he did a good job. Though I also don't think he did a bad job given the circumstances. Everyone was pretty happy with his first season and this time last year we were top of the league with far inferior players than we have now. But it did unravel very quickly in the winter, and there was a culture clash in footballing terms that he couldn't win. Right man, wrong time I think.
Van gaal wasn't far away from succeeding. What did for him was people skills. Which is what's done for him in every job he's had apart from Ajax, AZ Alkmaar, and his latter holland stint. If he had the people skills of Fergie or busby, he'd have succeeded and done it by eventually playing brilliant football.

Unread 26-09-2016, 01:42 PM
MJ Ramone

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
wtf??

Unread 26-09-2016, 04:25 PM
saffers

This thread went #headsgone

Unread 26-09-2016, 04:27 PM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
Van gaal wasn't far away from succeeding. What did for him was people skills. Which is what's done for him in every job he's had apart from Ajax, AZ Alkmaar, and his latter holland stint. If he had the people skills of Fergie or busby, he'd have succeeded and done it by eventually playing brilliant football.

He was a arrogant #@&%! stuck in the 90's, on and off the pitch.

Still least he got his lunch before the players though.

Unread 26-09-2016, 04:30 PM
saffers

When you see another thread descend into an lvg shitshow

but when you realise it was you who mentioned lvg in the op

Unread 26-09-2016, 04:40 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
That's fair enough to an extent; his type of personality has often made clashes inevitable. Not sure it's what did for him at United, though. Many reports suggested as a bloke he was well liked. I think he made the same mistake he made at Bayern by taking too many risks with the squad. Don't forget after his excellent first year at Bayern he opted to sign nobody in the summer during a World Cup year and persist with blooding youth.

The decision to put his house on Rooney last year was a disaster.

Still, the likes of Rashford, Shaw and Martial are lucky their time coincided with the Big Man's
Closed Thread