United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 13-08-2016, 08:46 PM
dunk

This is the odd thing about the complaints about what LvG was trying to do, which is basically implement the style that has seen everyone gushing over Spain and Barca.

What's even weirder, is I £#%&!ing hate watching Spain and Barca's anti-football using death by passing, but I convinced myself to accept it off LvG as I'd accepted the dream of pacey, powerful, fun football had died when we went for LvG's philosophy

Unread 13-08-2016, 08:47 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
I feel insulted

Just seem to know an awful lot about City...

A football fan then, FairPlay....

*points to eyes and back to buck

Unread 13-08-2016, 08:48 PM
Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Just seem to know an awful lot about City...

A football fan then, FairPlay....

*points to eyes and back to buck
I do enjoy discussing football from time to time pal.

Unread 13-08-2016, 08:48 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Many of their players looked uncomfortable trying to play their way out. I don't see what Caballero has over Hart. Sagna for someone who spent years at Arsenal is poor on the ball but he does run the wing well. Clichy and Kolorov are mediocre.

The underlying observation is how telegraphed the passing was. Sunderland nipped in to break on a number of occasions and if they had more quality would have threatened a lot more.

We complained about LvG's passing for the sake of passing but this was evident on City's display too. The difference between the two is LvG wanted to go side to side and wait for errors whereas Guardiola does allow numbers out wide to overload. Mourinho fairly commented last week that Utd players in the last two years get out wide but instead of getting the ball into the box they go the long route again. At the very least Guardiola has speed in his side to force openings when their possession is going nowhere.

Unlike at Bayern and Barca he has a lot of technically average/mediocre players and thick shits. Everyone knows City have an old squad and you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Clichy and Sagna in attacking midfield? Fernandinho as sweeper? Febian Delph as false 9? Kolorov as center back and Raheem Sterling as winger?

Obviously Gundogan, Sane and Kompany will come in and they're more adept at what he wants but he's going to find it difficult and I think will have to compromise.

What I also am curious is will he delve into the "world class academy"? Younger players are easier to work with and mould and he knows that but if he doesn't rate them that puts an end onto the media-spun idea City are overtaking United in youth development as far as I'm concerned.
Yeah it's shocking from City really. There's been no groundwork done in terms of setting it up for him. From the coaching style of Pellegrini to the players they've wasted money on in recent years, it's not been a club preparing for the Guardiola experiment.

I'm not a fan of the 'possession for possessions sake' line tbh. United wanted to score goals and be more dynamic but they weren't able to do it. So often it's about movement and intelligence of players, not to mention quality. But they're not recycling the ball because they don't want to score. It's just a different approach. Ineffective possession for me is a better description.

It'll happen at times for City. As usual patience will be key. It will be interesting to see how it goes, because I can't see that group of players sweeping the league easily. They'll have tough moments, hopefully especially in these early months

Unread 13-08-2016, 08:51 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
I do enjoy discussing football from time to time pal.
Alright mate, it's not £#%&!ing Tinder....

Unread 13-08-2016, 08:58 PM
Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Yeah it's shocking from City really. There's been no groundwork done in terms of setting it up for him. From the coaching style of Pellegrini to the players they've wasted money on in recent years, it's not been a club preparing for the Guardiola experiment.

I'm not a fan of the 'possession for possessions sake' line tbh. United wanted to score goals and be more dynamic but they weren't able to do it. So often it's about movement and intelligence of players, not to mention quality. But they're not recycling the ball because they don't want to score. It's just a different approach. Ineffective possession for me is a better description.

It'll happen at times for City. As usual patience will be key. It will be interesting to see how it goes, because I can't see that group of players sweeping the league easily. They'll have tough moments, hopefully especially in these early months
That's fair and I'd argue LvG's finest games as manager (Spurs home, Liverpool away, City home and Arsenal home) were performances where we played with more purpose and freedom. It wasn't all short side to side. We had midfield runners, clever inter-play on both wings and got the ball forward early. But the rest of the time it was too structured.

Maybe you're right. It wasn't slow by design but due to the player's execution but age wasn't on LvG's side to rebuild the team to achieve what he wanted. He was out regardless after the third year. Which to some extent I find a bit of a shame because his Ajax side is one of the best teams I've ever seen and I had hopes he'd have left a strong imprint.

Quote:

Green and gold until Fellaini is sold.

Unread 13-08-2016, 09:08 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red

are you £#%&!ing joking

the entire process has been geared up for guardiola taking over for about 4 years now. they've got - according to some clowns on here - the greatest youth system in the world ever and the greatest facilities in the world ever to go with it - and guardiola started with precisely none of them today, preferring his %@#$&!ated two bang average fullbacks narrow in line 3 system. where was garcia? where was adebayoriario? why was that ineachio bloke only a sub? why the £#%&! was that clown in goal instead of that other clown?

Unread 13-08-2016, 09:15 PM
rockored

Just need a draw or scrappy win tomorrow to confirm football is as shit as ever.

Unread 13-08-2016, 09:26 PM
Cream

Moyes snatching defeat from the jaws of tedious stalemate.

Unread 13-08-2016, 09:35 PM
dunk

Not sure Kompany is coming back btw, didn't I read he was left out of their CL squad..?

Unread 13-08-2016, 11:06 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockored
Just need a draw or scrappy win tomorrow to confirm football is as shit as ever.
Any sort of win will do tomorrow, tbh.

Unread 14-08-2016, 12:23 AM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
Moyes snatching defeat from the jaws of tedious stalemate.

He is the biggest loser on the planet. Despise the @#%&!.

Unread 14-08-2016, 12:27 AM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part 36 Offer
He is the biggest loser on the planet. Despise the @#%&!.
That bumbling dithering @#%&! makes Frank Spencer look like Winston £#%&!ing Wolf.

Unread 14-08-2016, 12:41 AM
sa7

Sunderland having an absolute Moyes today

Unread 14-08-2016, 02:16 AM
waynes ear's

Quote:

"Likes football chat"

swipe
Closed Thread