United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 03-10-2012, 11:12 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers

Gotta say the Baines hatred from the majority of the forum looks very silly now...
why?

Just cause evra is playing shit (nothing new there) doesn't mean we should have spent 20 million on Baines. The two are not linked.

Unread 03-10-2012, 11:15 AM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
why?
Just cause evra is playing shit (nothing new there) doesn't mean we should have spent 20 million on Baines. The two are not linked.
A lot of poeple said Evra was better or as good. Which he patently isn't.

Your point about spending 20 million on him is fair enough though.

Unread 03-10-2012, 11:20 AM
saffers

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
A lot of poeple said Evra was better or as good. Which he patently isn't.

Your point about spending 20 million on him is fair enough though.
What dodger said. I was ok with signing him, but not for Everton's silly demands of £18m+. There was just too many who thought even a declining Evra is better than Baines. As if the goals and assist numbers of baines didn't blow the 'evra still brings a lot going forward' argument out of the water.
Baines is just on another level defensively as well now.

Unread 03-10-2012, 02:53 PM
S/Side.Red

I doubt Baines would have prevented that goal last night. I find this over analysis of every goal tedious, tbh. Every time we concede someone has to be blamed. Their midfielder switched it out to the right with a great reverse pass, the guy took a brilliant first touch and managed to get the ball across. Very few full-backs would have prevented that. Not least Baines, who isn't actually very good at defending himself.

Unread 03-10-2012, 02:54 PM
andyroo

He had a £#%&!ing terrible game all round, goal or not. What the shitting balls was that challenge on the halfway line all about? :shakehead:

Unread 03-10-2012, 02:55 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
I doubt Baines would have prevented that goal last night. I find this over analysis of every goal tedious, tbh. Every time we concede someone has to be blamed. Their midfielder switched it out to the right with a great reverse pass, the guy took a brilliant first touch and managed to get the ball across. Very few full-backs would have prevented that. Not least Baines, who isn't actually very good at defending himself.
Nothing to worry about then. That's a relief. Ta.

Unread 03-10-2012, 03:11 PM
Why Don?

Quote:
Not least Baines, who isn't actually very good at defending himself.
I'll send him a link to this thread so he can at least try.

Unread 03-10-2012, 03:15 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
He had a £#%&!ing terrible game all round, goal or not. What the shitting balls was that challenge on the halfway line all about? :shakehead:
They barely had an attack, let alone a chance, after they scored.

I'm not saying Evra's defending isn't a weakness, but the reaction to pretty much everything he does is so hysterical.

Unread 03-10-2012, 03:19 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
think one of the TV pundits reckoned he needed to see what was developing and get closer to the wide man

then again, Neville reckons that Evra should have ignored Lennon and covered Evans v Spurs (rightly)

and some other pundit reckoned Fergie had clearly had a word with Rafael and Evra about committing forward

truth is if you can't get across then you have to drop in and if you hesitate on a ball like that then you're dead. the problem was that the ball should never have been on in the first place, but what it also showed was that 2 in centre mid or 3, United's defence is currently all over the £#%&!ing shop - which is hardly surprising. The constant %@#$&!s about the midfield is the least of United's worries right now - with Fletcher coming back we currently have 6 players (including Kagawa), 8 if you include Powell and Giggs, fighting for 2 or 3 places. I'd worry more about Hernandez, Rooney and Welbeck scoring just 1 goal between them. It's not that long ago people used to have a full-on strop about the central midfield not scoring goals, but so far not a peep out of the daft @#%&!s about the central midfield (inc Kagawa) so far scoring 7 between them

Unread 03-10-2012, 03:21 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
They barely had an attack, let alone a chance, after they scored.

I'm not saying Evra's defending isn't a weakness, but the reaction to pretty much everything he does is so hysterical.
hang on, they hemmed us in for 5 minutes at a time 3 or 4 times didn't they?

Unread 03-10-2012, 03:31 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
think one of the TV pundits reckoned he needed to see what was developing and get closer to the wide man

then again, Neville reckons that Evra should have ignored Lennon and covered Evans v Spurs (rightly)

and some other pundit reckoned Fergie had clearly had a word with Rafael and Evra about committing forward

truth is if you can't get across then you have to drop in and if you hesitate on a ball like that then you're dead.
This is what I mean, though. Every goal has to be examined and picked apart. Sometimes it's just good play. I thought their goal last night was just that. It's a fantastic ball from the midfielder, who uses the reverse pass from just inside his half to put it in the perfect place at pace, once the wide player takes that great first touch it's a difficult situation to defend.

Neville is as guilty as others of this kind of punditry. I remember him criticising Rafael for Lambert's goal at Southampton, essentially for not being 6'2. Everyone's so desperate to find a mistake or a culprit in every goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
hang on, they hemmed us in for 5 minutes at a time 3 or 4 times didn't they?
Well, I was fairly bored at times so may have lost concentration, but I don't remember being particularly concerned about their threat. Either way, I don't think Evra had a difficult time across the last hour.

Unread 03-10-2012, 03:41 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
This is what I mean, though. Every goal has to be examined and picked apart. Sometimes it's just good play. I thought their goal last night was just that. It's a fantastic ball from the midfielder, who uses the reverse pass from just inside his half to put it in the perfect place at pace, once the wide player takes that great first touch it's a difficult situation to defend.

Neville is as guilty as others of this kind of punditry. I remember him criticising Rafael for Lambert's goal at Southampton, essentially for not being 6'2. Everyone's so desperate to find a mistake or a culprit in every goal.

Well, I was fairly bored at times so may have lost concentration, but I don't remember being particularly concerned about their threat. Either way, I don't think Evra had a difficult time across the last hour.
Yeah I agree with you.

I think people generally just point and shout at something in order to express their need to process information they don't need.

But then if you're going to say things like Kagawa must wonder what the £#%&!s going on getting no movement from midfield around him then you better have noticed that Carrick was ahead of him when it broke down and Spurs countered for Bale's goal and you better know that the central midfield has 7 goals between them already this season - which is what you've been screaming for. Trouble is people who pointed and growled at the lack of goals to represent their views now point to something else... i didn't explain that very well, but £#%&! it, Ramone knows who I'm talking about
Closed Thread