United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 27-09-2012, 06:34 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
The clip over Zamorano's head in the San Siro
Quote:
Originally Posted by £#%&! KFC
he was better than David May though
He terrified me in the treble season, might be a bit harsh but he was such an OG threat.

May was the inspiration behind the all the latter minor injuries that turned into 3 years out.

Unread 27-09-2012, 06:35 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Remember the 4-0 against Porto, played midfield with Giggs and Beckham, with Eric, Cole and Ole up front.

Giggs was ridiculous that night.
porto were absolute £#%&!ing £#%&! tbh.

don't get me wrong we were good on the night but £#%&! me they were piss poor.
the 0-0 return game was like a £#%&!ing testimonial as well.

i remember people banging on about jardel like he was the £#%&!ing next big thing. he was toilet.

Unread 27-09-2012, 06:43 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
porto were absolute £#%&!ing £#%&! tbh.

don't get me wrong we were good on the night but £#%&! me they were piss poor.
the 0-0 return game was like a £#%&!ing testimonial as well.

i remember people banging on about jardel like he was the £#%&!ing next big thing. he was toilet.
Porto won all their group games that season though. They were massively hyped coming into the game, their counter attacking especially.

Despite their quality it was still a major statement, the first time that the Utd side of that era made a real impact on Europe. Look at the context as well, English teams were making little ground in Europe after the Hysel ban(CWC win was an anomaly), and for a long time during the 90's it was really only Utd who were even competitive.

They only improved after that match, might be a stretch but you could point to that one match as the start of the route to Barcelona.

Unread 27-09-2012, 07:25 PM
Tumescent Throb

the 0-0 return game was £#%&! all like a testimonial on or off the pitch

and Porto were the pre-christmas form team just as United were the following season - they were a superb side and we just took them apart. I recall at the time people - cockney gobshites in the press mainly - were talking of them doing to us what Benfica had done to Arsenal a few years earlier but we completely and utterly outclassed them on the night.

Unread 27-09-2012, 07:27 PM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
- cockney gobshite.

£#%&!ing rum as £#%&! over there we got tear gassed and shot at it by the dibble ffs:shakehead:

not been to many testimonials like that......the Young Guvernors :£#%&!er: offering us out at Irwin's was a bit rum mind you

Unread 27-09-2012, 07:30 PM
Sparky***

Quote:

and Porto were the pre-christmas form team just as United were the following season - they were a superb side and we just took them apart. I recall at the time people - cockney gobshites in the press mainly - were talking of them doing to us what Benfica had done to Arsenal a few years earlier but we completely and utterly outclassed them on the night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by £#%&! KFC

£#%&!ing rum as £#%&! over there we got tear gassed and shot at it by the dibble ffs:shakehead:

not been to many testimonials like that......the Young Guvernors :£#%&!er: offering us out at Irwin's was a bit rum mind you

Awww the top red brigade have got their knickers in a twist.

The game was shit. The tie was dead. They knew it, we knew it.

Yes i remember all the shit with the rubber bullets etc etc....what the £#%&! do yous want a purple heart medal? Stop moaning you @#%&!s.

Unread 27-09-2012, 07:32 PM
Tumescent Throb

nice edit £#%&!

over there Porto piled on the pressure and could easily have hit back with a couple inside the first 10 minutes

Unread 27-09-2012, 07:34 PM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:
nice edit £#%&!

over there Porto piled on the pressure and could easily have hit back with a couple inside the first 10 minutes

Unread 27-09-2012, 07:47 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Porto won all their group games that season though. They were massively hyped coming into the game, their counter attacking especially.

Despite their quality it was still a major statement, the first time that the Utd side of that era made a real impact on Europe. Look at the context as well, English teams were making little ground in Europe after the Hysel ban(CWC win was an anomaly), and for a long time during the 90's it was really only Utd who were even competitive.

They only improved after that match, might be a stretch but you could point to that one match as the start of the route to Barcelona.
Agreed. Porto had beaten Milan at the San Siro in the group phase and were considered one of the favourites for the competition. That was during their run of five successive Portuguese titles and they had a lot of very good players. I don't think Jardel started at Old Trafford, which maybe threw them off a little as he was such a focal point, but as you say, taking them apart like that made a huge statement and was probably very important for us. Was it the following season we beat Juve 3-2 at Old Trafford? Another huge moment, that.

Unread 02-10-2012, 01:11 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
"I'm a young boy and I was frustrated because it was a big game," said Shelvey.

"You come from a council house and before you know it you're playing Man United.

"Emotions probably got the better of me. I was a bit of a silly boy, for having a word with him like that. But I pulled him afterwards and apologised.

"Thankfully, he recognised that it took a man to apologise and hopefully there are no hard feelings there."

Unread 02-10-2012, 01:14 PM
andyroo

Quote:
But I pulled him afterwards and apologised.
Lucky Frogson.

Unread 02-10-2012, 01:15 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Lucky Frogson.
He'd probably forgotten who he was and thought he was a dying fan.