United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 06-12-2010, 08:48 PM
Terry Silver

Default Roy Keane - Clean Bastard

Was having a debate with a Scouser at work who was insistent that Keane was always a dirty bastard, always going around kicking people week in, week out.

I've always maintained that he was the best tackler I've ever seen and whenever he wanted to get the ball he generally did. Every so often he'd lose the plot and deck someone of try to amputate one or both of their legs, but that was the exception rather than the rule.

In general play he seldom gave away cheap or needless fouls like Vieira has done throughout his career.

Anyway, stumbled across the Premier League stats page

http://www.premierleague.com/page/Statistics

Some notable stats on number of fouls commited by players in the Premier League.

Davies 819
Savage 447
Shearer 406
Vieira 401
Rooney 300
Morten Gamst Hairdresser 293
Fabregas 220
Berba 211
Sheringham 154
Roy Keane 154

Keane all the way back in 185th place...

Unread 06-12-2010, 08:53 PM
irk

Default Re: Roy Keane - Clean Bastard

It's all part of the conspiracy

Unread 06-12-2010, 08:55 PM
Chorlton74

819!!!!!

dirty bastard

Unread 06-12-2010, 08:55 PM
Billy Bigbollox

Cheeky Scouse @#%&!, Souness was a right dirty bastard in his day

Unread 06-12-2010, 09:01 PM
rogieop

Quote:
Was having a debate with a Scouser
waste of time.

one was giving off at me today saying we're obsessed and always singing about them. then five minutes later he's sining gary neville £#%&!s his mum

Unread 06-12-2010, 09:13 PM
sudored

Where is scholes in the list?

Unread 06-12-2010, 09:19 PM
carlosartorial

Unread 06-12-2010, 09:54 PM
borsuk

keane was hard more than dirty, tended to avoid having to foul because he was so strong in the tackle he could win the ball cleanly, at least until his final years. his reputation no doubt helped as well: there were few players that would challenge him for the ball the way they would other players.

Unread 06-12-2010, 09:59 PM
Baron

It helped considerably that United had the best possession, pressing & pace of any sides in almost all of his team here. Tactical fouls were never really called for, he was a superb short passer of a ball & thus never went around chasing his £#%&! ups.

Unread 06-12-2010, 10:07 PM
MagnificentSeven

a thug, yes, a dirty player, not so much

Unread 06-12-2010, 10:19 PM
red in cumbria

I'm more interested in when he is going to get the sack at Ipswich, tbh

Unread 06-12-2010, 10:22 PM
Terry Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
I'm more interested in when he is going to get the sack at Ipswich, tbh
Why?

Unread 06-12-2010, 10:35 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Silver
Why?
Because it will be a shame. It is looking more and more like he isn't quite right for management - a pity IMO

Unread 06-12-2010, 11:14 PM
Firswood Red

He's put his house up for sale for £9.5m

Unread 06-12-2010, 11:16 PM
originalhogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firswood Red
I take it the one in hale?

Unread 06-12-2010, 11:27 PM
M-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhogg
I take it the one in hale?
I would think so, as he could probably buy the whole of Ipswich for that amount !

Unread 06-12-2010, 11:43 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firswood Red
link?

Unread 06-12-2010, 11:45 PM
borsuk

if he wants a career in management he could do worse than go abroad. in england as soon as he manages a club it stops just being a club and becomes instead 'roy keane's...' as in 'roy keane's sunderland' and 'roy keane's ipswich', instantly making the job harder. not being such a rentagob on all issues and sundry might help as well.

Unread 06-12-2010, 11:50 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
if he wants a career in management he could do worse than go abroad. in england as soon as he manages a club it stops just being a club and becomes instead 'roy keane's...' as in 'roy keane's sunderland' and 'roy keane's ipswich', instantly making the job harder. not being such a rentagob on all issues and sundry might help as well.
Was just going to add that.

The other week he was complaining that every time he talks about something the next day he reads 'Keane blasts whatever'.

The next day I was hoping to read 'Keane slams blast slur', but no.

Unread 07-12-2010, 12:02 AM
Tumescent Throb

love keano. not surprised by them stats, especially that vieira is right up there and berbs has a shed load of fouls, presumably off-sides

keane's biggest problem in management is always gonna be harmony in the ranks. he doesn't (didn't up until the end of last season at least) seem to give a flying £#%&! about the academy set-up at ipswich according to people i know whose lads were there. easy to imagine that carrying over to all his relationships in a club. only bumped into him once last season down there and he was fine from my pov, but if that's the general perception, which it seems to be, then it's always an uphill battle for him - if enough people say you're not right then you aren't, regardless...and you have to move on. agree [with borsuk] about it always being 'roy keane's...' Certainly rings true with what i saw at ipswich anyhoo, and obviously with his general coverage in the mainstream press since he left united as well.
Closed Thread