Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 12-05-2013, 01:03 PM
PleaseGodNo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Dunno, let's ask Ajax and Juventus.
My point is, he was a great but not as good as the Great Dane

Doubt you can remember much of him, can you?

Unread 12-05-2013, 01:03 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by PleaseGodNo
My point is, he was a great but not as good as the Great Dane

Doubt you can remember much of him, can you?

I'm 32 you patronising @#%&!.

Unread 12-05-2013, 01:04 PM
PleaseGodNo

Quote:
I'm 32 you patronising @#%&!.
Really???

12 I thought!?

I'm shocked

Unread 12-05-2013, 01:06 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by PleaseGodNo
Really???

12 I thought!?

I'm shocked
You're hilarious.

Unread 12-05-2013, 01:07 PM
PleaseGodNo

Quote:
You're hilarious.
I aim to please

Unread 12-05-2013, 01:24 PM
wiganste

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafabio
On the other hand i don't think vds was capable of making rates that de gea and schmeicel could. He was poor at free kicks. Not that good in 2009 final as well when we needed a good shot stopper against barca. There was a reason why he spent quite a few years at fulham
What a massive %@#$&! @#%&! you are. VDS was £#%&!ing great and we should have signed him in 1999

Unread 12-05-2013, 01:29 PM
Sparky***

Schmeichel was great at United, an absolute beast.

But lets be honest. Van Der Sar was winning champions league's and premier league doubles at the same stage of his career when Schmeichel was knocking around mediocre clubs like City and Villa. How good was Schmeichel then?

Unread 12-05-2013, 01:33 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Schmeichel was great at United, an absolute beast.

But lets be honest. Van Der Sar was winning champions league's and premier league doubles at the same stage of his career when Schmeichel was knocking around mediocre clubs like City and Villa. How good was Schmeichel then?
What a shit argument.

Unread 12-05-2013, 01:33 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
What a shit argument.
Yeah but it's an argument.

Unread 12-05-2013, 01:35 PM
andyroo

Yeah but we had Eddie at that phase of the career and we didn't have Schmeichs at that phase. So it's all good

Unread 12-05-2013, 01:36 PM
sudored

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbledinho
This. VdS was solid. We were lucky to have him and wish we'd bought him a few seasons earlier.

He's also a cool mother£#%&!er.
We should of bought vds in 99. Or at least before fulham got him.

Unread 12-05-2013, 02:52 PM
Neo

Schmeichel is the best goalkeeper I've ever seen, tbh. I don't think there's much argument in deciding who was United's greatest goalkeeper. Schmeichel would save us around 10 points a season, and we would have won a lot fewer trophies without him. I've never seen a goalkeeper with such presence and command of his penalty area; nobody comes close, tbh.

Van Der Sar was world-class, and the partnership between him, Rio and Vidic is probably the strongest defensive unit we've had under Fergie. There were times we could go into games, score a goal, and you knew that was it, as our defense would just breeze to a clean sheet. The stuff we won between 2007-09 was as much down to Van Der Sar and the defence, as much as it was down to Ronaldo and the attack destroying teams for fun.

Out of all the 'keepers in the world at the moment, I wouldn't swap any of them for David De Gea. He obviously is nowhere near Van Der Sar, let alone Schmeichel yet, although he is stronger than both in a couple of areas (kicking, agility). He also has very safe hands, as I don't recall too many times that he's collected a shot and it hasn't 'stuck'. With maturity and experience he'll become a bigger presence in the area, and he'll be more commanding on crosses, which I think is the only real part of his game that sometimes looks susceptible IMO. Fergie definitely learnt his lesson from the £#%&!-up of replacing Schmeichel, as he managed to get the perfect replacement for Van Der Sar. Cheers Fergie (and Eric Steele). Top scouting.

Unread 12-05-2013, 06:55 PM
Macca1990

Closed Thread