United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 11-12-2017, 10:08 AM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
Snidey little fouls constantly, playing keep ball in the corner for the last 10 minutes, players hitting the deck for no real reason, every time wasting trick in the book. Make no mistake, we were shit and deserved nothing from the game, but all this fawning over a Guardiola is hilarious.
Exactly. They are the best team in the country by a distance, I've no problem admitting that. Mourinho's whining is embarrassing.

But this fawning over them as purveyors of some sort of morally pure form of football is ludicrous - they're just as guilty as every other team in the land of seeing out victories with ugly tactics when needed.

Unread 11-12-2017, 10:09 AM
Clarkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
From a united point of view ?

What we’re we to do ?

Played at ANY type of level ?

Unread 11-12-2017, 10:09 AM
Bunker Buster

Ticker tape though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkie
What were we suppose to do ?

How are you embarrassed as a red.

Unread 11-12-2017, 10:12 AM
Clarkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Ticker tape though

What were we suppose to do ?

How are you embarrassed as a red.

Nothing we could do, unless we just hacked the legs off them. Just found it sickening is all, the way it panned out

Unread 11-12-2017, 10:14 AM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Nothing we could do, unless we just hacked the legs off them. Just found it sickening is all, the way it panned out
So you worded it Wrong....

Unread 11-12-2017, 10:14 AM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Exactly.

Embarrassing for us because they were basically toying with us at the end.

Nothing we could do by that point.

Unread 11-12-2017, 10:18 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
Exactly.

Not difficult to do tbf

A bit @#%&!ish though. Teams beat rivals all the time and don’t resort to this shit. A bit ott and unnecessary. It’s one thing winding the clock down by various means but ffs...

Unread 11-12-2017, 10:24 AM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
Not difficult to do tbf

A bit c***ish though. Teams beat rivals all the time and don’t resort to this shit. A bit ott and unnecessary. It’s one thing winding the clock down by various means but ffs...
Tbh mate, I don't really care what they do. I don't care how they choose to play or how they celebrate at the end. In the same way pep shouldn't concern himself with how Nathan Redmond carries out his manager's instructions.

That's there prerogative and they'd earned the right to do it.

I'd rather it was us doing that to them because we'd done the hard bit and won the match.

Unread 11-12-2017, 10:30 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Exactly.

I have genuinely never heard of keep ball in the corner being described as 'toying' with the other team. I was always under the impression it was used by teams desperate to run down the clock in order to hold on to the result as it stands.

Toying would be be what barca did with us in '11, if you absolutely feel the need to praise guardiola.

Unread 11-12-2017, 10:53 AM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
I have genuinely never heard of keep ball in the corner being described as 'toying' with the other team. I was always under the impression it was used by teams desperate to run down the clock in order to hold on to the result as it stands.

Toying would be be what barca did with us in '11, if you absolutely feel the need to praise guardiola.
That's what I was thinking. This is a great example of Guardiola's hype getting silly. Keep-ball and time-wasting are exactly the things teams like West Ham do at OT when trying to close out the game. Yet city do them and it's 'toying with us'.

It doesn't follow city were scared of United though, obviously (). I think they'd simply accepted they hadn't played that well and needed to see it out, and also that any team can scab an equaliser, no matter how poorly they've played.

It was genuinely the worst time-wasting I've seen in quite a while though tbh.

Unread 11-12-2017, 11:02 AM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
That's what I was thinking. This is a great example of Guardiola's hype getting silly. Keep-ball and time-wasting are exactly the things teams like West Ham do at OT when trying to close out the game. Yet city do them and it's 'toying with us'.

It doesn't follow city were scared of United though, obviously (). I think they'd simply accepted they hadn't played that well and needed to see it out, and also that any team can scab an equaliser, no matter how poorly they've played.

It was genuinely the worst time-wasting I've seen in quite a while though tbh.
I think we're in danger of getting lost in semantics here. 'Toying with us', 'desperate'.... probably extreme ends of the scale, fair enough.

It's hypocritical of Pep to start lecturing Nathan Redmond for basically doing the same thing..... but I called him out for that too. That's their prerogative and he's only pissed off because it worked. The subsequent fawning over Pep trying to make the world a better place was nauseating.

The wider point for me is that taking the ball to the corner is pretty standard for any team winning away by a single goal late on. I'd expect everyone to do it. As you say, It doesn't necessarily indicate what's gone before it. Sometimes it's because a team really is desperate to hold on. Others it's because the time to kill the game with a two goal cushion has passed and they want to see it out..

For city it was the latter. We blew our load on the Lukaku chance and it was very comfortable for city after that.

I'm more concerned that it was us in the desperate situation of trying to get it back because we'd lost the game. Conversations complaining about something as standard as running the clock down seem beneath us tbf.

Unread 11-12-2017, 11:12 AM
20 times

Guilliam Balague the utter shitheads reckons it’s the best football England has ever seen.

Unread 11-12-2017, 11:13 AM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 times
Guilliam Balague the utter shitheads reckons it’s the best football England has ever seen.

That's because he's a stupid, attention-seeking fat helmet.

Unread 11-12-2017, 11:15 AM
AK14

Quote:

He's not the only one...

Will only make their fall all the more sweeter.

Unread 11-12-2017, 11:19 AM
andyroo

Quote:

What, even more than Benítez's Liverpool for two weeks? That's high praise indeed.

Unread 11-12-2017, 11:26 AM
Red Santos

Cue media Man City £#%&!athon

Unread 11-12-2017, 11:28 AM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Santos
Cue media Man City £#%&!athon
not dead yet?

Unread 11-12-2017, 11:31 AM
Red Santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's
not dead yet?
rattled

Unread 11-12-2017, 12:11 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
I think we're in danger of getting lost in semantics here. 'Toying with us', 'desperate'.... probably extreme ends of the scale, fair enough.

It's hypocritical of Pep to start lecturing Nathan Redmond for basically doing the same thing..... but I called him out for that too. That's their prerogative and he's only pissed off because it worked. The subsequent fawning over Pep trying to make the world a better place was nauseating.

The wider point for me is that taking the ball to the corner is pretty standard for any team winning away by a single goal late on. I'd expect everyone to do it. As you say, It doesn't necessarily indicate what's gone before it. Sometimes it's because a team really is desperate to hold on. Others it's because the time to kill the game with a two goal cushion has passed and they want to see it out..

For city it was the latter. We blew our load on the Lukaku chance and it was very comfortable for city after that.

I'm more concerned that it was us in the desperate situation of trying to get it back because we'd lost the game. Conversations complaining about something as standard as running the clock down seem beneath us tbf.
It was all about the result because they knew that they'd have one hand on the trophy with a win.

It's over now. Not only because of they won and now have an 11 point gap but the way they won now shows that we have an inferiority complex when it comes to them. The amount of times they've won at old trafford since 2011 is really really £#%&!ing piss poor from our point of view.

i have no doubt this trickles down from Jose and his own inferiority complex which comes to the fore every time he plays against Guardiola.

Unread 11-12-2017, 12:27 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
It was all about the result because they knew that they'd have one hand on the trophy with a win.

It's over now. Not only because of they won and now have an 11 point gap but the way they won now shows that we have an inferiority complex when it comes to them. The amount of times they've won at old trafford since 2011 is really really f***ing piss poor from our point of view.

i have no doubt this trickles down from Jose and his own inferiority complex which comes to the fore every time he plays against Guardiola.
Yes. We went in to yesterday's game with confidence. We had 3 good wins, playing aggressively and scoring goals. Even though they didn't drop points, city's perofmance levels dropped and Huddersfield, Southampton and West Ham all exposed them to some degree. They have spurs coming up after us.

We picked a positive eleven. It was a real chance to go at them, get the crowd up and really see what they're made of.

Instead, we reverted to the United of a month ago that saw us tamely huff and puff against Liverpol, Chelsea and spurs. Low-risk, low-percentage football and lumping it up to a striker who isn't even that good at holding the ball up anyway.

Kyle Walker was booked after five minutes. We should have been all over that and had Rashford and Young getting at him down that side.

We had Lingard, Martial, Rashford, Lukaku - all players who can turn and run at immobile defenders like Otamendi and Kompany - and instead to choose to lump it.

We played right in to their hands.

We somehow manage to find a way back in to the game at half time..... do we learn? Change it up? Use it as a springboard? No. Another basic error, we're behind again and just keep doing what we're doing.

As others have said, if city had come and played us off the park then fair enough, but the reality is that they didn't have to do much to beat us.

The holes in our side were once again exposed:

Our defenders can't pass
Our full backs are wingers
Herrra isn't very good
Lukaku isn't very good
Martial and Rashford are kids and will have off days

The Lukaku chance aside, they were largely untroubled second half and our manager - who spent all the build up and post match talking about the referee - only reacted by throwing fowards on, with no real plan other than to hit the big guys and feed off second balls.

Post match, Guardiola is talking about how he trust his players to implement a style and it's working. Mourinho is pretending he thinks Herrera's dive is a penalty to detract from his and his team's failings.

Then you wake up to news of tunnel scuffles. It's pathetic.

Shit game. Shit performance. Shit result and a shit state of affairs surrounding it.
Closed Thread