United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 24-10-2018, 10:57 AM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
And what note would that be? He is a carthorse and will always be.

As for getting our money back Everton are probably the only team daft enough to spend that sort of money as none of the top teams would touch him, they obviously won't go near him nor would he want to accept that is his level. Probably on £250k a week so no-one could afford his wages at any rate, he will leave as a distressed asset, around £40m and we'll end up subsidising his wages until he ends up playing out his days in the Belgian non-league scene.
A huge problem throughout our squad.

Can't get rid of no £#%&!er.

Unread 24-10-2018, 10:59 AM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
A huge problem throughout our squad.

Can't get rid of no £#%&!er.
Rojo on £160k a week apparently, he would struggle to get half of that anywhere else.

Unread 24-10-2018, 11:24 AM
Baron

When goalkeepers are going for £70m+ you'd easily find someone willing to pay the same for a striker that gets you 25 goals a season & is only 25.

Yes his wages will be ridiculous, but so are everyone else's, Palace are paying Zaha £120k a week ffs... Crystal Palace!

Either way, he's not a quality footballer, he's a good goal scorer & his physical attributes mean he should be bullying most defenders, but he's meek & looks like he's beefed up far too much. Basically a robot of a player, he has zero imagination & so if you want to make a player of him you need to drill him into performing the same things over & over, but make it so you can't stop him. Let's just say you gave him the same ability to control a football on his chest as Fellaini, and then be able to lay it off everytime to build an attack - you'd have a proper target man. Add to that you'd work relentlessly on his first touch, repetition, repetition, repetition... it's a basic approach to the game but one that can be very hard to stop - would I want to watch United play that way? Would I £#%&!. But Chelsea had Drogba & he could do all of that, he could also win every header in either box - it's about physical attributes and your attitude.

Drogba only developed into that player after a season or two at Chelsea, he was 26 when they bought him. I'm aware he's an anomaly, but Lukaku's goal scoring record shits all over his, if you were building a side around a striker like Lukaku you'd think you could get more out of him right?

Like I said in the other post, we can make lazy comparisons, and aligning Lukaku to Drogba is just that - but frankly what else is there for Lukaku to be when he plays the way he does? Hardly about to become Berbatov with that touch is he.

Unread 24-10-2018, 11:27 AM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron
When goalkeepers are going for £70m+ you'd easily find someone willing to pay the same for a striker that gets you 25 goals a season & is only 25.

Yes his wages will be ridiculous, but so are everyone else's, Palace are paying Zaha £120k a week ffs... Crystal Palace!

Either way, he's not a quality footballer, he's a good goal scorer & his physical attributes mean he should be bullying most defenders, but he's meek & looks like he's beefed up far too much. Basically a robot of a player, he has zero imagination & so if you want to make a player of him you need to drill him into performing the same things over & over, but make it so you can't stop him. Let's just say you gave him the same ability to control a football on his chest as Fellaini, and then be able to lay it off everytime to build an attack - you'd have a proper target man. Add to that you'd work relentlessly on his first touch, repetition, repetition, repetition... it's a basic approach to the game but one that can be very hard to stop - would I want to watch United play that way? Would I £#%&!. But Chelsea had Drogba & he could do all of that, he could also win every header in either box - it's about physical attributes and your attitude.

Drogba only developed into that player after a season or two at Chelsea, he was 26 when they bought him. I'm aware he's an anomaly, but Lukaku's goal scoring record shits all over his, if you were building a side around a striker like Lukaku you'd think you could get more out of him right?

Like I said in the other post, we can make lazy comparisons, and aligning Lukaku to Drogba is just that - but frankly what else is there for Lukaku to be when he plays the way he does? Hardly about to become Berbatov with that touch is he.
Spot on.

But with his meek mentality, the transition into a more rounded player is likely to end his career. Too many things to think about! I'm miscontrolling the ball, oh no! The rats... the RAAATS!

Unread 24-10-2018, 11:40 AM
Coracao

I'm not sure You would easily find someone to pay that for him at all. The club's who would pay those fees generally have better options already.

Unread 24-10-2018, 02:09 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
I'm not sure You would easily find someone to pay that for him at all. The club's who would pay those fees generally have better options already.
If Spurs ended up selling Kane to Real Madrid for £170m or something, you wouldn't think they'd replace his goals with Lukaku for £100m less?

Arsenal spent nearly £60m on Aubameyang & he's 4 years older.

I don't think it's that much of a stretch to think we'd get £70m or so for him personally. The market is genuinely insane with the prize money on offer & it's only going up. Gate receipts are nothing these days. Marketing is a thing only the very top sides can generate, the rest - they get £100m just for being in the league - if you can get 25+ goals from a striker for £70m that is an outlay most would pay. Lukaku is 3 behind the leagues top scorer & hasn't scored in a month ffs... he's always going to be near the top of the charts.

Unread 24-10-2018, 02:18 PM
Buck

Quote:
If Spurs ended up selling Kane to Real Madrid for £170m or something, you wouldn't think they'd replace his goals with Lukaku for £100m less?

I don't think it's that much of a stretch to think we'd get £70m or so for him personally. The market is genuinely insane with the prize money on offer & it's only going up. Gate receipts are nothing these days. Marketing is a thing only the very top sides can generate, the rest - they get £100m just for being in the league - if you can get 25+ goals from a striker for £70m that is an outlay most would pay. Lukaku is 3 behind the leagues top scorer & hasn't scored in a month ffs... he's always going to be near the top of the charts.
You'd take an inferior goalscorer with better general ability. Anyway there's going to be younger talent worth shelling out now - Lukaku got his big move and the only way is down.

No WUM - I'd take Giroud over him. Fewer goals but far better all round play as he showed at the World Cup where despite not scoring he was important in freeing up Mbappe and those around him. And you can actually play decent football with him.

Unread 24-10-2018, 02:25 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
You'd take an inferior goalscorer with better general ability. Anyway there's going to be younger talent worth shelling out now - Lukaku got his big move and the only way is down.

No WUM - I'd take Giroud over him. Fewer goals but far better all round play as he showed at the World Cup where despite not scoring he was important in freeing up Mbappe and those around him. And you can actually play decent football with him.
Wouldn't necessarily agree with the Giroud comparison, given he didn't score at the World Cup & hasn't scored since what... May? But I understand the general point. Cantona only scored >20 goals for us once in his time here, but his contribution was ridiculous. Rooney only scored 20+ league goals twice, you'd not swap him for a 25+ Lukaku, ever.

The issue is that Mourinho isn't able to see a wider team picture, he wants individual responsibility rather than a collective greater good.

Basically Jose is a Tory manager. Who the £#%&! wants that? Not even Jem ffs.

Unread 24-10-2018, 02:30 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Wouldn't necessarily agree with the Giroud comparison, given he didn't score at the World Cup & hasn't scored since what... May? But I understand the general point. Cantona only scored >20 goals for us once in his time here, but his contribution was ridiculous. Rooney only scored 20+ league goals twice, you'd not swap him for a 25+ Lukaku, ever.

The issue is that Mourinho isn't able to see a wider team picture, he wants individual responsibility rather than a collective greater good.

Basically Jose is a Tory manager. Who the £#%&! wants that? Not even Jem ffs.
Yes. Saha as well, never a great scorer for Utd but we played much better and more varied football with him than with RVN. Andy Cole in 2000 scoring 20 goals a season was a vastly better footballer than the one we signed from Newcastle with a 40 goal season just behind him.

Basically, better to have a rounded footballer than a one dimensional scorer. Lukaku is closer to Hernandez than someone like Drogba/Costa in how limited he is.

We knew all that before he was signed but Mou has to have his big lad up front.

Unread 24-10-2018, 03:08 PM
Coracao

Quote:

As.i said before, wildly optimistic. Most who could pay that, wouldn't pay it for Lukaku.

Unread 24-10-2018, 03:20 PM
That Boy Ronaldo!

We'd be lucky to get £35m for him. Which is roughly what he was worth in the first place.

Crystal Palace is his level.

He won't survive under a new manager either.

Unread 24-10-2018, 04:00 PM
£#%&! KFC

ten years ago we had Berba, Rooney, Tevez and Ronaldo

now we've got this @#%&!

Unread 24-10-2018, 04:11 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
Giuseppe Rossi is available on a free?

Bring him home.
Was treated disgracefully during his loan at Newcastle, still makes me seethe tbh.

Unread 24-10-2018, 04:18 PM
Ranier Wolfcastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Was treated disgracefully during his loan at Newcastle, still makes me seethe tbh.
Stupid loan in the first place. They were playing long balls up to him when he did play ffs

Unread 24-10-2018, 04:22 PM
ScarFace

He's a big £#%&!ing lump with no footballing brain. A complete turd who needs to £#%&! off back where he belongs ( an everton, a WBA )

Unread 24-10-2018, 04:41 PM
armchair

Give him a holiday.

Unread 24-10-2018, 04:44 PM
£#%&! KFC

his last goal at Old Trafford was in March

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
Give him a holiday.
starting on Sunday

Unread 24-10-2018, 05:08 PM
Buck

Holidays should be deserved.

Send him to the gulag.

Unread 24-10-2018, 05:20 PM
red in cumbria

Thing is, when he is bad there really are no redeeming features to his game

Unread 24-10-2018, 06:17 PM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Thing is, when he is bad there really are no redeeming features to his game
...and when he’s “good” he’s still miles behind the level of forward required.

He’s shite.
Closed Thread