United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 17-12-2010, 10:24 AM
The Return of JC

Default Team v John Terry and HIS players: A Thread

I think we need to go back to 4-4-2 with this one. Playing Rooney up top on his own and leaving him isolated will play into Chelsea's hands. Playing Berbatov will ensure he will run the channels and drag the centre halves out of the middle. Chelsea's CB's a slow and immobile and those two can pull them all over the place. Playing big punts up to a lonely Rooney is meat and drink to Terry and co.

Also, I don't think the 3rd central midfielder is essential against Chelsea. Mikel doesn't really do anything, so doesn't need occuppying and they won't monopolise possession and look for the same kind of gaps that Arsenal would. They're more direct and physical so we'll have to be on our mettle more individually.

Ball up to Rooney and Berb as quickly as poss, and Nani had better have his head screwed on too. I'd like to see Hernandez at some point too.

So, someone's gotta miss out to bring back Berbatov. I'd go with Carrick. He's just not playing that well and isn't always up for the physical battle (understatement).

With that in mind:

VDS

Rafael
Vidic
Rio
Evra

Nani
Fletcher
Ando
Park

Roo
Berb

If we win, we'll win the league. That'd be nice, wouldn't it?

Unread 17-12-2010, 10:52 AM
TripDownMiseryLane

Default Re: Team v John Terry and HIS players: A Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
I think we need to go back to 4-4-2 with this one. Playing Rooney up top on his own and leaving him isolated will play into Chelsea's hands. Playing Berbatov will ensure he will run the channels and drag the centre halves out of the middle. Chelsea's CB's a slow and immobile and those two can pull them all over the place. Playing big punts up to a lonely Rooney is meat and drink to Terry and co.

Also, I don't think the 3rd central midfielder is essential against Chelsea. Mikel doesn't really do anything, so doesn't need occuppying and they won't monopolise possession and look for the same kind of gaps that Arsenal would. They're more direct and physical so we'll have to be on our mettle more individually.

Ball up to Rooney and Berb as quickly as poss, and Nani had better have his head screwed on too. I'd like to see Hernandez at some point too.

So, someone's gotta miss out to bring back Berbatov. I'd go with Carrick. He's just not playing that well and isn't always up for the physical battle (understatement).

With that in mind:

VDS

Rafael
Vidic
Rio
Evra

Nani
Fletcher
Ando
Park

Roo
Berb

Wordingford on sea - Heres hoping - Scholes apart, thats our best team atm.

Unread 17-12-2010, 10:59 AM
Gruber

will we go there an play 2 up front?

Unread 17-12-2010, 11:02 AM
dunk

We'll get murdered in the middle if we go with Fletcher and Anderson, as we did at Upton Park. Carrick has to and will play.

Unread 17-12-2010, 11:07 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
We'll get murdered in the middle if we go with Fletcher and Anderson, as we did at Upton Park. Carrick has to and will play.
I agree to some extent, if we want to go 2 in the middle it'd probbly have to be Fletcher and Carrick, as you say at West Ham we were horribly exposed in midfield 'cos Ando basically only played in vront of half way. I expect us to go with 1 up personally.

Unread 17-12-2010, 11:08 AM
The Watcher

Hasn’t Park £#%&!ed off to the Asia Cup?

Carrick’s a complete @#%&! who I can’t really stand, but he’d probably still be useful in front of the back four. Lampard’s likely to play, so we’ll need some to watch for his late runs from midfield. Will Scholes make it? Could definitely do with his class.

I also doubt Berbatov would make the kind of impact you’re hoping for. He’s pretty much anonymous whenever we play away to any half decent side. I’d still pick him though.

VDS

Rafael
Rio
Vidic
Evra

Fletcher
Carrick
Scholes
Nani

Berba
Rooney

Unread 17-12-2010, 11:10 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
Hasn’t Park £#%&!ed off to the Asia Cup?

Carrick’s a complete @#%&! who I can’t really stand, but he’d probably still be useful in front of the back four. Lampard’s likely to play, so we’ll need some to watch for his late runs from midfield. Will Scholes make it? Could definitely do with his class.

I also doubt Berbatov would make the kind of impact you’re hoping for. He’s pretty much anonymous whenever we play away to any half decent side. I’d still pick him though.

VDS

Rafael
Rio
Vidic
Evra

Fletcher
Carrick
Scholes
Nani

Berba
Rooney

Not 'til the 26th, which by the way, isn't Boxing Day this year.

Unread 17-12-2010, 11:12 AM
andyroo

Quote:
Of course it would (number £#%&!ing NINETEEN), but I wouldn't be assured that a win here = the league. Lot of work to do yet, fixtures piling up etc, all the old cliches.

I want to win here because I want to win here. No more, no less.

Unread 17-12-2010, 11:22 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Don't see how we'd be any better off with Carrick replacing either of those two. Or are you suggesting a three?

I'd put West Ham down to a bad day at the office. They should be capable enough.

We should look to take a leaf out of Sunderland's book. They played Chelsea pretty pefectly. Nothing fancy. Combative in midfield, good movement, two up top who pulled the CBs all over the place. I think that should be our approach.

Unread 17-12-2010, 11:23 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Don't see how we'd be any better off with Carrick replacing either of those two. Or are you suggesting a three?

I'd put West Ham down to a bad day at the office. They should be capable enough.

We should look to take a leaf out of Sunderland's book. They played Chelsea pretty pefectly. Nothing fancy. Combative in midfield, good movement, two up top who pulled the CBs all over the place. I think that should be our approach.
Maybe because he shows some defensive responsibility in a two, which Anderson, on the evidence of the West Ham game he mentioned, doesn't.

Unread 17-12-2010, 11:24 AM
andyroo

And Anderson and Fletcher to do the Gyan/Zenden dance routine.

Unread 17-12-2010, 11:25 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Of course it would (number £#%&!ing NINETEEN), but I wouldn't be assured that a win here = the league. Lot of work to do yet, fixtures piling up etc, all the old cliches.

I want to win here because I want to win here. No more, no less.
Completely agree. Stacks and stacks of footy, plenty of twists and turns etc etc......but I really do think we will if we win.

Unread 17-12-2010, 11:29 AM
safingtons

Scholes is out, possibly till new year.

Fletcher shouldn't start in a midfield 2.

This is what id go with;

Edwin

Rafael
Rio
Vidic
Evra

Nani
Carrick
Anderson
Park

Rooney
Hernandez

Unread 17-12-2010, 11:29 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by safingtons

This is what id go with;

Edwin

Rafael
Rio
Vidic
Evra

Nani
Carrick
Anderson
Park

Rooney
Hernandez
What? No Tevez? @#%&!.

Unread 17-12-2010, 11:34 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:

This is what id go with;

Edwin

Rafael
Rio
Vidic
Evra

Nani
Carrick
Anderson
Park

Rooney
Hernandez

I wouldn't be unhappy with that at all. I could go either way on Carrick or Fletch. Frankly, neither is playing particularly well at the moment. In fact, you've convinced me - Carrick it is. Offers a better balance that Fletch and Anderson. Just don't be a @#%&!, Michael!

Unread 17-12-2010, 11:36 AM
antonin jablonsky

Unread 17-12-2010, 11:37 AM
jem

vds

rafa - snoop - vidic - evra

park/scholes - carrick - ando

nani - berbatov - rooney

Unread 17-12-2010, 11:37 AM
safingtons

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
What? No Tevez? @#%&!.
Chin up mate, Berbie doesn't like the big games and is usually dropped for them.

Quote:
I wouldn't be unhappy with that at all. I could go either way on Carrick or Fletch. Frankly, neither is playing particularly well at the moment. In fact, you've convinced me - Carrick it is. Offers a better balance that Fletch and Anderson. Just don't be a @#%&!, Michael!
Carrick is improving, starting to get stuck in a bit more again too. Hopefully past his injury woes. We need to go at these, even if we lose , id rather lose knowing we went there and took the game to them rather than another meek 1-0 loss or draw. We've got a chance to set up a potential 9 pt gap if we win on Sunday.

Unread 17-12-2010, 11:39 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Chin up mate, Berbie doesn't like the big games and is usually dropped for them.

Carrick is improving, starting to get stuck in a bit more again too. Hopefully past his injury woes. We need to go at these, even if we lose , id rather lose knowing we went there and took the game to them rather than another meek 1-0 loss or draw. We've got a chance to set up a potential 9 pt gap if we win on Sunday.
Your burn victim wants to go home. Little @#%&!, just like you.

Unread 17-12-2010, 11:42 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:

Is he? I hadn't noticed that myself, I must confess. He was very good without the ball on Monday and that is always one of his strengths, but he was woeful in possession. Hopefully it'll improve if he plays.

I agree with the second part. However, I fear we'll play for a point because that'll do and we'll end up being very negative and, as you say, run the risk of losing meakly 1-0.

Can I ask too, how dya get a 1-0 draw?....
Closed Thread