Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 11-01-2007, 03:53 PM
King Schlong

Quote:
Originally Posted by violater™
sometimes its not all about money....

look at his peers.
giggs,scholes,g neville all still playing at the highest level at the club they have supported all their lives.
they are still worshipped by the fans and now seemto be enjoying their football.

while beckham who is being practically booted out of madrid is forced to sign for a "soccer" team to avoid having to come back a 2nd tier club who clearly only want him for publicity purposes....

look at his new club
http://la.galaxy.mlsnet.com/t106

the "superdraft", games having to end with a winner.
beckham is a joke imo.
Sorry to be pedantic @#%&! but Scholes is actually an Oldham fan .

Unread 11-01-2007, 03:55 PM
Grimson

One other motivation is that despite all the press attention he'll receive at first, he and his stick-insect wife will be able to walk the streets with a level of anonymity they have never had. After the first week or two, the press will turn their attention elsewhere. No paparazzi, etc. That's exactly why Klinsmann lives there.

For anyone about to say "They love the publicity" etc, I truly doubt that at this point they like being trailed by cameras everywhere they go.

Unread 11-01-2007, 03:55 PM
naes_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNew
Got to agree with Violater on this.

There is no reason, a motivated Beckham can not play at a high level. Sadly, his motivation is either pleasing his wife, or pleasing his bank manager.

I hope he lives to regret joining LA.
agreed. In my opinion (which means £#%&! all) he regrets the moment he left united.

Unread 11-01-2007, 04:11 PM
soprano

LA as a city is shit but 128million for 5 years is crazy money

Unread 11-01-2007, 04:15 PM
seans17

£#%&!er.

Threatened to walk away from united, his boyhood club, when we offered him £100k p/w, but apparently the image rights needed "tweaking", after about 2 years of negotiations. (Say what you like about keane, but at least he never played a shithouse card like "i love this club" or any of that. Pay me, or i'm off - fair enough.)

Then agrees a contract with madrid in minutes and they wont even enter into discussions about image rights.

Unread 11-01-2007, 04:17 PM
Qwertyuiop

Quote:
Originally Posted by seans17
£#%&!er.

Threatened to walk away from united, his boyhood club, when we offered him £100k p/w, but apparently the image rights needed "tweaking", after about 2 years of negotiations. (Say what you like about keane, but at least he never played a shithouse card like "i love this club" or any of that. Pay me, or i'm off - fair enough.)

Then agrees a contract with madrid in minutes and they wont even enter into discussions about image rights.

Unread 11-01-2007, 04:29 PM
NinoyAquino

He's got many faults but he's getting away from the crap he's had to put up with for years.

He's going to paid 490k a week. If my maths is correct that just under $100 a minute for 5 years. I know he's loaded already but anybody will have their head turned by that. Can't begrudge him for taking that deal.

Unread 11-01-2007, 04:31 PM
naes_sean

£#%&! me...he's on the home page for www.cnn.com

Unread 11-01-2007, 04:33 PM
Qwertyuiop

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinoyAquino
He's got many faults but he's getting away from the crap he's had to put up with for years.
Self-generated crap.

Unread 11-01-2007, 04:33 PM
El Calafate

Beckham is now dead man walking at Real Madrid. won't even make the bench. nft.

Unread 11-01-2007, 04:36 PM
NinoyAquino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwertyuiop
Self-generated crap.
Maybe so, but maybe he's got bored of it.

6 thousands dollars an hour. He can wake up from a decent kip and have made 50k. You and me would both do a lot worse than sign a contract for that sort of money.

Unread 11-01-2007, 04:36 PM
Coracao

back in the day;

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FMabZMp0XeM

Unread 11-01-2007, 04:37 PM
chorleyred

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Calafate
Beckham is now dead man walking at Real Madrid. won't even make the bench. nft.

do you reckon he'll be that bothered on £500,000 a week. he was only making the bench anyway.

and hasn't capello already said he wants rid of raul, beckham, ronaldo and diarra along with a few others?

Unread 11-01-2007, 04:40 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinoyAquino

He's going to paid 490k a week. If my maths is correct that just under $100 a minute for 5 years. I know he's loaded already but anybody will have their head turned by that. Can't begrudge him for taking that deal.
Firstly I don't belive those figures for one second? Half a million a week? he's not worth that many souveneir mugs.

Secondly, no matter how much he is getting...he doesn't need it. Why the greed? Why not go and play for brentford for a few years, enjoy yourself. Put something back into the English game...anything except this constant raiding of his profile, brand Beckham and all the other bullshit.

Unread 11-01-2007, 04:41 PM
Enjoying Insanity

He is a prime example of what happens when men follow their #@&%! and not their brains.

That anorexic slag of a wife has destroyed his career, if he'd not met her, he would still be at OT, and remembered as an all time great, instead he will be remembered more for his off-field activities than his obvious ability on it.

As is often said, when you leave United, the only place to go is down.....

Unread 11-01-2007, 04:42 PM
Grimson

[quote=dodger;82528]Firstly I don't belive those figures for one second? Half a million a week? he's not worth that many souveneir mugs.QUOTE]

These are just not very big numbers for American sports. VISA and other corporate sponsors will be footing the bill, and it's a drop in the bucket to them.

Unread 11-01-2007, 04:46 PM
dodger

[quote=Grimson;82535]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
Firstly I don't belive those figures for one second? Half a million a week? he's not worth that many souveneir mugs.QUOTE]

These are just not very big numbers for American sports. VISA and other corporate sponsors will be footing the bill, and it's a drop in the bucket to them.
Maybe not in Amercian sport as a whole but in American soccer it is. there's nomonmey in their game. And why would they pay him so much when they could have got him for half that? Anyway whether it's true or not is neither here nor there.

Unread 11-01-2007, 04:46 PM
chorleyred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjoying Insanity
He is a prime example of what happens when men follow their #@&%! and not their brains.

That anorexic slag of a wife has destroyed his career, if he'd not met her, he would still be at OT, and remembered as an all time great, instead he will be remembered more for his off-field activities than his obvious ability on it.

As is often said, when you leave United, the only place to go is down.....

i don't get all this career destroyed stuff. he's 31, won everything with us, then moved on to probably the biggest club in europe, and now is going to have a ball with new challenges earning silly silly money.

how many footballers wouldn't swap his career for theirs

Unread 11-01-2007, 04:49 PM
El Calafate

i'd move to LA for a jam doughnut. am i greedy? nft.

Unread 11-01-2007, 04:49 PM
chorleyred

[quote=dodger;82544]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson

Maybe not in Amercian sport as a whole but in American soccer it is. there's nomonmey in their game. And why would they pay him so much when they could have got him for half that? Anyway whether it's true or not is neither here nor there.

I would imagine they will see him as raising the profile of the game over there to new levels.

didn't madrid reckon they got their transfer fee back for him in a few months in selling beckham stuff

like it or not, he, and his mrs, are highly marketable
Closed Thread