United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 30-07-2013, 03:33 PM
Neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by forwardirektion
How exactly does it affect you? Please explain
Throb has explained it well enough a few posts up.

Do you not think fans are connected in any way to the increasingly absurd levels of money being splashed about in the game?

If money at the top is reeled in then it could actually make things fairer at the bottom for fans, instead of them paying £50-£100 to watch a 90 minute football match where players earn more in a week than some supporters will earn in a decade.

Unread 30-07-2013, 03:37 PM
forwardirektion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Throb has explained it well enough a few posts up.

Do you not think fans are connected in any way to the increasingly absurd levels of money being splashed about in the game?

If money at the top is reeled in then it could actually make things fairer at the bottom for fans, instead of them paying £50-£100 to watch a 90 minute football match where players earn more in a week than some supporters will earn in a decade.
If they weren't paying it to the players, agents and other clubs do you really think that people in charge of football clubs would bring the prices down
And it's been this way for 20+ years

Unread 30-07-2013, 03:41 PM
Neo

Quote:
If they weren't paying it to the players, agents and other clubs do you really think that people in charge of football clubs would bring the prices down
I don't know, but it seems that way in Germany.

They seem to have done well enough without the oligarchs and Arab oil tycoons, too.

Unread 30-07-2013, 03:46 PM
forwardirektion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo

They seem to have done well enough without the oligarchs and Arab oil tycoons, too.
The EPL held open the arsecheeks of every single fan for the rich to have a ride on. Ticket prices will never come down unless people stop going, in fact the tv deal is that ridiculous that people not going isn't that big a deal to some clubs. Arsenal fans pay nearly a ton a match to watch a team that isn't even competing to win anything. It's hilarious.

Unread 30-07-2013, 03:47 PM
carlosartorial

Quote:
And it's been this way for 20+ years
Exactly. I remember Edwards once explaining ST rises (about 91 or 92) alluding to the fact that once the ground had been redeveloped, they'd be able to lower prices. Quite a quaint notion now but it was half believable at the time given United used to make an annual boast* that they could afford to be one of the cheapest to watch in the NW due to the size of our support.

It's a pointless debate now, it's gone. Buy a Stand AMF t-shirt and crack one off to the Bundesliga set up.

*usually in the 1st home programme of the season.

Unread 30-07-2013, 03:49 PM
dodger

Quote:
The EPL held open the arsecheeks of every single fan for the rich to have a ride on. Ticket prices will never come down unless people stop going, in fact the tv deal is that ridiculous that people not going isn't that big a deal to some clubs. Arsenal fans pay nearly a ton a match to watch a team that isn't even competing to win anything. It's hilarious.
So, to put this another way. If we were to offer city £30 million for Gareth Barry, which they would surely accept despite money being no object to them, the price would be of no concern to you?

Unread 30-07-2013, 03:49 PM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo

The people in charge of football and football clubs in England have nothing in common with the people running German football. They'd no doubt claim the opposite, but it's quite simply not true.

Unread 30-07-2013, 03:51 PM
forwardirektion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
So, to put this another way. If we were to offer city £30 million for Gareth Barry, which they would surely accept despite money being no object to them, the price would be of no concern to you?
No why would it? I'd be pissed of that we weren't strengthening the 1st 11 but the actual amount is inconsequential, i wouldn't want him for free with no wages

Unread 30-07-2013, 03:52 PM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
Why should it be any more? We have an emotional stake in United, nothing more. The club doesn't listen to or act upon the feelings of the fans.

Unread 30-07-2013, 03:58 PM
Tumescent Throb

The question was Why do people care about transfer fees? not Does people caring about them affect the way they are set? or whatever way you want to phrase it

Also interesting that in one argument people will say that the club deliberately sets out to try and influence the supporters, but in another argument people will say that they don't care at all what the supporters think

Also disagree that you cannot put players in value brackets any more, since obviously you can in the same way you ever could. Comparing Cavani with RvP is not a like-for-like example, either.

Unread 30-07-2013, 04:03 PM
forwardirektion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
The question was Why do people care about transfer fees? not Does people caring about them affect the way they are set? or whatever way you want to phrase it
Yep sorry the debate shouldn't ever change course due to the answers given, should have started a new slightly differently worded thread

Quote:
Also interesting that in one argument people will say that the club deliberately sets out to try and influence the supporters, but in another argument people will say that they don't care at all what the supporters think
I'd say that they care about the public perception of their brand and they don't care about the classic model of supporters

Quote:
Also disagree that you cannot put players in value brackets any more, since obviously you can in the same way you ever could. Comparing Cavani with RvP is not a like-for-like example, either.
Why isn't it? Similar aged strikers signing for the reigning champions of the country

Unread 30-07-2013, 04:13 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Yep sorry the debate shouldn't ever change course due to the answers given, should have started a new slightly differently worded thread
you haven't accepted the answer to the original question, you've just ignored it because it isn't what you want to hear. people are bothered by them for the reasons given on the thread. the question of Why do some people not give a shit about them wasn't asked because it's part of the same answer - it's the opposite of because they care, if you will.

cavani has gone to an oil rich club at an over-inflated price. he is just 26 and had a £50m+ release clause. RvP wanted to sign for United and was near 29 at the time.

Unread 30-07-2013, 04:16 PM
forwardirektion

Quote:
you haven't accepted the answer to the original question, you've just ignored it because it isn't what you want to hear.

Unread 30-07-2013, 04:21 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:

you're just being a #@&%! now

your question has been answered, with some agreeing with you and others not agreeing

your response to those disagreeing was just to ask it again.

Unread 30-07-2013, 04:27 PM
forwardirektion

Quote:
you're just being a #@&%! now

your question has been answered, with some agreeing with you and others not agreeing

your response to those disagreeing was just to ask it again.
Soz throbbers, was just going for a cheap laugh.

Everyone agrees the money is obscene and we are all at different stages of acceptance as to what can be done about it i guess

Unread 30-07-2013, 04:37 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Soz throbbers, was just going for a cheap laugh.

Everyone agrees the money is obscene and we are all at different stages of acceptance as to what can be done about it i guess

Unread 30-07-2013, 04:46 PM
Liu Jian

This has probably been posted elsewhere, but it's a good article from Jonathan Wilson:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/...ort-food-clubs

Quote:
There's a reason the curve rises so steeply when it comes to the most expensive players and that is vanity: the value of the deal is itself part of the value and so at the top end of the market there is a self-inflationary effect.
Stating the obvious at a times when there have three massive deals done in the past month, with the ridiculous Bale deal to come.

Unread 30-07-2013, 04:49 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liu Jian
This has probably been posted elsewhere, but it's a good article from Jonathan Wilson:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/...ort-food-clubs

Stating the obvious at a times when there have three massive deals done in the past month, with the ridiculous Bale deal to come.
Not really related to the thread, but can you see the comments at the bottom? They're not loading for me today for some reason.

Unread 30-07-2013, 05:02 PM
Whip Hubley

Really the question I'd put to throb, certainly from my point of view, is why should I care about something that has

A) very little effect on the way I follow united

and

B) Even if I ranted and raged could do nothing about in the grand scheme of things.

With regards to A), I mostly follow United away in Europe. The money I have, this is where it goes - occasionally I'll do domestic aways, or the odd home game (maybe 5 a season), but mostly I prefer to spend my cash on europe. Now, conceivably, unless I suddenly come into a lot of money, prices could never be so cheap that I could afford both an ST and all the expenses involved with going to OT, and Europe. And Europe will always be my priority (or at least for the foreseeable future as I don't have kids)

Now with regards to B), that is more of a philosophical issue - my opinion or otherwise on transfer fees has, basically, zero effect on them. Yes, I could cancel sky and wouldn't it be a wonderful world if everyone did etc etc but that's just not likely in any way. It's the problem with the whole boycotting issue - like it or not, there's always going to be someone to take your place. So I choose simply not to let it bother me - it's not about 'not caring', it's just there's very little point in getting wound up about it. Life is way too short for me to waste energy on something I have very little control over.

At the end of the day, as far as I'm concerned people can follow United any which way they like and have any opinion they choose on the way the club is run and where money is spent. Of course, I have an ideal about, if I was in charge, how I'd run things - but I don't, and most likely never will.

I admire your principles Throb, really I do, I just don't see where it gets you in an everyday sense other than being able to take a moral high ground.

Unread 30-07-2013, 05:07 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
It's a pointless debate now, it's gone. Buy a Stand AMF t-shirt and crack one off to the Bundesliga set up.
Closed Thread