United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 30-07-2013, 05:30 PM
wiganste

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigMikeA
Really the question I'd put to throb, certainly from my point of view, is why should I care about something that has

A) very little effect on the way I follow united

and

B) Even if I ranted and raged could do nothing about in the grand scheme of things.

With regards to A), I mostly follow United away in Europe. The money I have, this is where it goes - occasionally I'll do domestic aways, or the odd home game (maybe 5 a season), but mostly I prefer to spend my cash on europe. Now, conceivably, unless I suddenly come into a lot of money, prices could never be so cheap that I could afford both an ST and all the expenses involved with going to OT, and Europe. And Europe will always be my priority (or at least for the foreseeable future as I don't have kids)

Now with regards to B), that is more of a philosophical issue - my opinion or otherwise on transfer fees has, basically, zero effect on them. Yes, I could cancel sky and wouldn't it be a wonderful world if everyone did etc etc but that's just not likely in any way. It's the problem with the whole boycotting issue - like it or not, there's always going to be someone to take your place. So I choose simply not to let it bother me - it's not about 'not caring', it's just there's very little point in getting wound up about it. Life is way too short for me to waste energy on something I have very little control over.

At the end of the day, as far as I'm concerned people can follow United any which way they like and have any opinion they choose on the way the club is run and where money is spent. Of course, I have an ideal about, if I was in charge, how I'd run things - but I don't, and most likely never will.

I admire your principles Throb, really I do, I just don't see where it gets you in an everyday sense other than being able to take a moral high ground.
firstly, not reading all that and b) new to throb pal?

Unread 30-07-2013, 05:31 PM
Whip Hubley

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
firstly, not reading all that and b) new to throb pal?
Pissing in the wind tbf

Unread 30-07-2013, 05:51 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigMikeA
Really the question I'd put to throb, certainly from my point of view, is why should I care about something that has

A) very little effect on the way I follow united

and

B) Even if I ranted and raged could do nothing about in the grand scheme of things.

With regards to A), I mostly follow United away in Europe. The money I have, this is where it goes - occasionally I'll do domestic aways, or the odd home game (maybe 5 a season), but mostly I prefer to spend my cash on europe. Now, conceivably, unless I suddenly come into a lot of money, prices could never be so cheap that I could afford both an ST and all the expenses involved with going to OT, and Europe. And Europe will always be my priority (or at least for the foreseeable future as I don't have kids)

Now with regards to B), that is more of a philosophical issue - my opinion or otherwise on transfer fees has, basically, zero effect on them. Yes, I could cancel sky and wouldn't it be a wonderful world if everyone did etc etc but that's just not likely in any way. It's the problem with the whole boycotting issue - like it or not, there's always going to be someone to take your place. So I choose simply not to let it bother me - it's not about 'not caring', it's just there's very little point in getting wound up about it. Life is way too short for me to waste energy on something I have very little control over.

At the end of the day, as far as I'm concerned people can follow United any which way they like and have any opinion they choose on the way the club is run and where money is spent. Of course, I have an ideal about, if I was in charge, how I'd run things - but I don't, and most likely never will.

I admire your principles Throb, really I do, I just don't see where it gets you in an everyday sense other than being able to take a moral high ground.
i have no truck with that at all, i was asked Why worry about it? and I gave my reasons why, nothing more than that.

the "it's not your money" line is not the point even if it was true. the point is about the value of money, the price of everything and all that stuff... that was the point back in 98 and it's still the point now. that was the point when Parma were throwing money around and it's still the point now that City & PSG are.

whether or not people are influenced by marketing and advertising exposure, the fact is that they are willfully exposed to it and that's what drives the numbers involved ever higher. that's why I care about how much the club spends.

i understand the argument that whether it's £30m or £35m is just splitting hairs because anything over a £1m or £10m or whatever is still shocking in its way. but actually that difference is five million pounds. five million. people deriding the club for haggling over £5m aren't living in the real world, and just because you can say that the club and football in general aren't in the real world that doesn't mean you should just give in to it. you can if you want, but I don't want to.

it's well worth noting also that even though there have been a number of transfer fees paid that have been above £30m, the vast majority of fees, including for some absolute top end players, are still below that and a fair few of the very best players are still free - Giggs, Maldini, Messi, Xavi, Iniesta being just a few examples from the past couple of decades
Closed Thread