United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 04-01-2008, 04:20 PM
MethodMan

Default With today's comments from Rooney

that he would like to spend the rest of his career at OT, does he have the potential to become United's greatest ever player?

Unread 04-01-2008, 04:25 PM
dunk

No matter how good he is and what he manages to achieve, he will have to go a £#%&! of a long way to pass Best, Law, Charlton and Giggs, to name but 4.

Unread 04-01-2008, 04:26 PM
wee man

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
No matter how good he is and what he manages to achieve, he will have to go a £#%&! of a long way to pass Best, Law, Charlton and Giggs, to name but 4.
Nutshell

poppy

Giggs.

Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodMan
that he would like to spend the rest of his career at OT, does he have the potential to become United's greatest ever player?
I've not seen anyone in lifetime at United (except Eric) who had a chance of doing it. I think Rooney could, as soon as he scores a few last minute goals to send us through to the next round of some cups, he'll be everyone's hero (no longer in the shadow of Ronaldo). I've always said I'd rather keep Rooney than Ronaldo.

Unread 04-01-2008, 04:29 PM
1MUFC

Rooney is a very special player, even more special than ronaldo. His values and personality couldn’t be more different than ronaldo either which I like.

No player will be a legend ever again imo, just the way football has gone. Giggs, scholes and gary Neville will be the last we’ll talk about.

Unread 04-01-2008, 04:30 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy
Giggs.
In the highest echelon my friend, whether you like it or not.

Unread 04-01-2008, 04:30 PM
Scabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MUFC
Rooney is a very special player, even more special than ronaldo. His values and personality couldn’t be more different than ronaldo either which I like.

No player will be a legend ever again imo, just the way football has gone. Giggs, scholes and gary Neville will be the last we’ll talk about.
You forgot O'Shea.

Unread 04-01-2008, 04:31 PM
keano's love

he has a chance. but for that he has to spend more time on the pitch.

Unread 04-01-2008, 04:32 PM
koppas

No.

If Ronaldo stayed all his career, he has the potential to be.

Unread 04-01-2008, 04:33 PM
Sloppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scabs
You forgot O'Shea.
No mention of Dong either.

Unread 04-01-2008, 04:36 PM
carlosartorial

Rooney will be our most important player once Scholes has retired, I reckon he will play in midfield in years to come (same as Scholes started his career up front).

Ronaldo is a great player capable of lighting up any game and has dragged us out of the shit numerous times over the last couple of years, but I wouldn't swap him for Rooney.

Unread 04-01-2008, 04:38 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:

Unread 04-01-2008, 04:38 PM
1MUFC

Rooney is loyal as well, wont £#%&! off to Madrid soon as they dangle a cheque

Unread 04-01-2008, 04:39 PM
koppas

Quote:
Neither did Ronaldo.

Unread 04-01-2008, 04:40 PM
poppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
In the highest echelon my friend, whether you like it or not.
Yes, there's Pele, Maradona, Zidane, Ronaldinho and then... errr... Ryan Giggs.

He's been a good player but come on now, let's not get silly. He's not in the Paul Scholes class. Never has been never will be.

Interestingly, since his debut nearly 18 years ago, Giggs managed 100 league goals. 22 year old Ronaldo has already managed 48 and is a better player at 22 than Giggs has ever been.

Unfortunately, when a Giggs tribute thread starts, we have the same 6 or 7 usual youtube clips trotted out. A truly great player would have had far more than that for the number of games he's played.

Good. Very good even. Certainly not a great.

Unread 04-01-2008, 04:40 PM
Scabs

Quote:
I don't remember it happening that way, to be fair.

Unread 04-01-2008, 04:42 PM
24hr Leavesey

Quote:
Certainly not a great.

In United terms he most certainly is. In world football terms I tend to agree. Even if most professional footballers over the last two decades today don't.

dunk

We are talking Legend in the history of the club and whether or not Rooney can be the greatest, he will have to surpass the achievements of the four players I mentioned, who are, arguably, the most illustrious and decorated of Manchester United's history, are they not?

Ryan Giggs is a phenomenon, there is no doubt, you will only realise it when he is no longer around to criticise.

wiganste

Quote:
Yes, there's Pele, Maradona, Zidane, Ronaldinho and then... errr... Ryan Giggs.

He's been a good player but come on now, let's not get silly. He's not in the Paul Scholes class. Never has been never will be.

Interestingly, since his debut nearly 18 years ago, Giggs managed 100 league goals. 22 year old Ronaldo has already managed 48 and is a better player at 22 than Giggs has ever been.

Unfortunately, when a Giggs tribute thread starts, we have the same 6 or 7 usual youtube clips trotted out. A truly great player would have had far more than that for the number of games he's played.

Good. Very good even. Certainly not a great.

%@#$&!s
Closed Thread