Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Hall of Fame

Unread 17-02-2018, 08:07 PM
thatsfuctit

Default United v Brighton 1983 FA Cup Final

Full game of 2-2

Highlights of replay

Unread 17-02-2018, 08:12 PM
flixton

Look forward to daily doses of "Smith must score".

Unread 17-02-2018, 08:13 PM
djsst

Steve Foster, Steve Foster, what a difference you have made, what a diff-er-ence you have made.

Unread 17-02-2018, 08:15 PM
thatsfuctit

Quote:
Originally Posted by flixton
Look forward to daily doses of "Smith must score".
Would rather see Ray curling one into the back of the net, one of the largely unheralded great cup final goals.

Unread 17-02-2018, 08:15 PM
Banbury RED

The replay was my first ever competitive United game.

Unread 17-02-2018, 08:56 PM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsst
Steve Foster, Steve Foster, what a difference you have made, what a diff-er-ence you have made.
They’d have won the first one if he’d played yknow

Unread 17-02-2018, 09:23 PM
denis lawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banbury RED
The replay was my first ever competitive United game.
what position did you play ?

Unread 18-02-2018, 07:18 AM
armchair

remember Mike Duxbury on a barge throwing his drink over board when asked was he nervous

Unread 18-02-2018, 07:38 AM
puressence

Arrived by helicopter brighton jimmy melia the manager

Unread 18-02-2018, 05:06 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
Arrived by helicopter brighton jimmy melia the manager
Scouser, of course.

Unread 18-02-2018, 05:08 PM
taff

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsfuctit
Would rather see Ray curling one into the back of the net, one of the largely unheralded great cup final goals.
^^^

wonderful goal.

Unread 18-02-2018, 05:29 PM
rebelcountyred

Watched the replay down the pub and drank about 12 pints of Guinness, absolutely hammered, went home and collapsed on the bed lying on my back. Missus came up to check on me and thought my breathing sounded a bit funny, woke me up and I puked the whole lot.

Ah the memories.

Unread 18-02-2018, 05:44 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsfuctit
'Kevin Moran, who's had 45 stitches in facial wounds over the last 18 months'

'the most famous club in football'.

Sir Matt tipping his hat.

The great promise of Norman.

Robbo's pace for the penalty.

Ah...

Unread 18-02-2018, 09:44 PM
Chorlton74

Was it this final when people were filmed shimmying up the twin towers or was that 85?

Or did I imagine it?

Unread 19-02-2018, 07:47 AM
suedeshoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorlton74
Was it this final when people were filmed shimmying up the twin towers or was that 85?

Or did I imagine it?
That was Liverpool v Everton in 86

Unread 19-02-2018, 08:19 AM
sub three hours

There are some great memories recalled on this thread. Reading them makes you realise why us 'slightly older' Reds will always have a high regard for the FA Cup.

It really, really pisses me off that people think that we started the de-valuation of the FA Cup in 2000 with the pull-out. I'm not saying that it didn't have an influence but for £#%&! sake having the semi-finals at Wembley and the ridiculous kick-off times haven't helped either.

Ultimately though the importance of the top four place for us and just remaining in the Premeier league for most, with the financial security that it brings means the FA Cup itsn't as valued any more. It's a shame as our cup victories of 1977, 1983 and 1985 were amongst the best days of my life.

Unread 19-02-2018, 12:52 PM
Harry Flashman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub three hours
There are some great memories recalled on this thread. Reading them makes you realise why us 'slightly older' Reds will always have a high regard for the FA Cup.

It really, really pisses me off that people think that we started the de-valuation of the FA Cup in 2000 with the pull-out. I'm not saying that it didn't have an influence but for f*** sake having the semi-finals at Wembley and the ridiculous kick-off times haven't helped either.

Ultimately though the importance of the top four place for us and just remaining in the Premeier league for most, with the financial security that it brings means the FA Cup itsn't as valued any more. It's a shame as our cup victories of 1977, 1983 and 1985 were amongst the best days of my life.
The c***s at the FA devalued it by insisting United couldn't play a side in the competition.
f***ing @#%&!s get all they deserve.

Unread 19-02-2018, 02:01 PM
believe

I was only three years old but I remember these two games like it was yesterday. My mum and just met my now step dad and he went to the first game and told me look out for him on telly. I spent the entire game glued to the screen trying to spot him.

For the replay he came to watch it at our house because my mum was working. Every time they scored he cheered so loudly that I shit myself and nearly burst in to tears wondering what the £#%&! was going on.

I watched the video of the replay so many times that I could recite the entire commentary.

Unread 19-02-2018, 02:46 PM
sweetleftfoot

We were on holiday for the replay, my old man having got back from the first final the day before going to Gran Canaria. I remember my Dad having to ring my Grandad for updates on the replay Nowadays it would be on in every bar on the island.

Loved Arnold Muhren when I was a kid. Sad to see Alan Davies on there too. The ball for Norms goal was a peach. Great team that.

Unread 19-02-2018, 03:01 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
I was only three years old but I remember these two games like it was yesterday. .
Strange lie....