United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Science & Technology
Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 08:05 PM
TravellingRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
We still have trade unions they are just toothless money men as bad as many politicians now...
A union is only as strong as its members. I'm lucky where I work we have 99% density and we do stand up for each other. A rep can't do shit if the members won't stand together.

Old 12-01-2017, 08:16 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Erm, do you know what I am actually talking about??

IPOS was the Labour government's proposals to reform trade unions and industrial relations more generally in the 1960s. With the support of some Labour politicians, the union "barons" forced Wilson to abandon them - a massive humiliation for him and very likely a factor in his "shock" election defeat in 1970.

The key moment in that process was when "Sunny Jim" went over to the opposition - you are aware of what then happened in 1978/79 I presume?

After that, the Thatcher government which swept to power largely as a result imposed "reform" on the unions - but in a far more vindictive and harmful form.

There's a good argument we are still paying the price for that original mis-step now.
It was an Alan partridge quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingRed
A union is only as strong as its members. I'm lucky where I work we have 99% density and we do stand up for each other. A rep can't do shit if the members won't stand together.
80-90% at ours..

I've been involved with theee different unions now.
One of them the railway (the supposed king of unions)
Currently with unite (for now)

Unless you're in disciplinary trouble 15 a month isn't really worth it.
I've even seen them lose a health and safety case.

Lads not in the union still get the raise.

Idiots IN the union don't even vote right....they roll over at first ballot.

Money money money...
Closed Thread