Closed Thread

Unread 12-09-2008, 04:13 PM
Rhodzy

This thread is I can't stand the #@&%!.

Unread 12-09-2008, 04:35 PM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
Ok, these are the top managers based on results since 1990.
Louis van Gaal - 5 league titles (3 Eredivise, 2 La Liga), 1 European Cup (1 r/u), 1 UEFA Cup.

Unread 12-09-2008, 04:52 PM
Serenity Now

As far as I'm concerning, dominating the biggest competition in European football for two consecutive seasons with a team from the Netherlands, one in large part made up of youth players that van Gaal had coached himself, whilst playing some of the most brilliant attacking football ever witnessed is far more impressive than anything that Wenger has (yet) achieved.

Oh and if you're willing to take things outside of Europe, and I know most of you won't be, then you can't ask for a more impressive resume than that of Carlos Bianchi - 7x champion of Argentina, 4x Copa Libertadores champion (1x runner up), 3x Intercontinental champion (1x runner up).

Unread 12-09-2008, 04:58 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
As far as I'm concerning, dominating the biggest competition in European football for two consecutive seasons with a team from the Netherlands, one in large part made up of youth players that van Gaal had coached himself, whilst playing some of the most brilliant attacking football ever witnessed is far more impressive than anything that Wenger has (yet) achieved.

Oh and if you're willing to take things outside of Europe, and I know most of you won't be, then you can't ask for a more impressive resume than that of Carlos Bianchi - 7x champion of Argentina, 4x Copa Libertadores champion (1x runner up), 3x Intercontinental champion (1x runner up).
No-one said he was the (or even one of the) best ever.

Unread 12-09-2008, 05:01 PM
Fat Al

£#%&! him, he's a £#%&!ing forskinned faced @#%&!.

And he wouldn't be saying ANY of this shit if Arsenal were owned by some mega £#%&!ing rich trillionaire.

He's talking up a good fight cos he knows his team can't fight a good fight and will finish 4th at best this season.

Unread 12-09-2008, 05:05 PM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
No-one said he was the (or even one of the) best ever.
It was more a general diatribe than a response to anything in this thread. I haven't even read it through properly, to be honest

Although The Times did rank him as the 10th greatest of all time

Unread 12-09-2008, 05:08 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al
£#%&! him, he's a £#%&!ing forskinned faced @#%&!.

And he wouldn't be saying ANY of this shit if Arsenal were owned by some mega £#%&!ing rich trillionaire.

He's talking up a good fight cos he knows his team can't fight a good fight and will finish 4th at best this season.
Yep, that about covers it.
Wenger is a complete @#%&! & has Fleet street under his spell.
He's a vindictive, over-rated, spiteful, hypocrite of a man.

Don't be surprised on Sunday morning if you switch on 'Sunday Supplement' to find that Brian Woolnough has had a tattoo of Theo Walcotts #@&%! across his massive face.

Unread 12-09-2008, 05:09 PM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
Don't be surprised on Sunday morning if you switch on 'Sunday Supplement' to find that Brian Woolnough has had a tattoo of Theo Walcotts #@&%! across his massive face.

Unread 12-09-2008, 05:12 PM
Grimson

Quote:

The problem with Bianchi's resume comes when you include Europe. Not disastrous, but underwhelming. I assume you will provide mitigating circumstances.

Unread 12-09-2008, 05:13 PM
Zorg

Quote:

Although The Times did rank him as the 10th greatest of all time

That is a £#%&!ing joke.

Unread 15-09-2008, 12:42 PM
dodger

Quote:
Louis van Gaal - 5 league titles (3 Eredivise, 2 La Liga), 1 European Cup (1 r/u), 1 UEFA Cup.
Major Oversight. Thanks. New list below

1. Sir Alex - 10 domestic league titles. 2 European cups. 1 cup winners cup.

2. Lippi - 5 titles. 1 european cup (plus 3 r/u). 1 world cup

3. Cappello - 8 titles. 1 european cup. (2 r/u)

4 Hitzfeld - 8 titles (two swiss). 2 european cups (1 r/u)

5 van Gaal - 5 league titles (3 Eredivise, 2 La Liga), 1 European Cup (1 r/u), 1 UEFA Cup

6 Mourinho - 4 titles. 1 european cup. 1 uefa cup.

7 Del Bosque - 2 titles. 2 european cups.

8. Wenger - 3 titles. 1 r/u in euro cup and 1 in uefa

9 Benitez - 2 titles. 1 european cup (1 r/u). 1 uefa cup

10. Trappatoni - 3 titles (1 swiss). 2 uefa cups.

11. Sven Goran Erikson - 2 league titles. 1 uefa cup (1 r/u).

12. Walter Smith - 7 titles (scottish)

Unread 15-09-2008, 12:43 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestown Rouge
Crap comparisons - Del Bosque/Mourinho etc if Wenger had access to half the funds these two enjoyed he'd be further up this spurious table.
How much did Del Bosque spend?

Unread 15-09-2008, 01:15 PM
Don Stuarte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
Sure he's a moaning @#%&! when he loses but what top manager isn't? He also speaks the truth about the game too...

Wenger said: "What is worrying for me is that a player signs somewhere and then the next day he does not even know where he has signed. You cannot say that is a good trend.

Real Madrid's long-running pursuit of Manchester United winger Cristiano Ronaldo has also come in for criticism from Wenger.

"You cannot come out and say 'we pay £250,000-a-week to Ronaldo and £135million', when the player has a six-year contract with Manchester United," he said.
Ed, a couple of weeks worth of sense does not wipe out a whole decade of nonsense.

nft

Unread 15-09-2008, 01:25 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
How much did Del Bosque spend?
Was manager at the Galaticos era....

£46m on Zidane alone... £38.7m on Figo... £28.5m on Ronaldo

So as much on 3 players as Wenger has probably done in 10 years.

Unread 15-09-2008, 01:28 PM
naes_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Stuarte
Ed, a couple of weeks worth of sense does not wipe out a whole decade of nonsense.

nft

Unread 15-09-2008, 01:29 PM
magic_cantona

I'd admire Wenger, to some extent, as a manger.Good buys (some shit ones too, which every £#%&!er seems to forget), great style of play etc.Lets not forget that he has had money there and refused to buy which has cost him in the trophy stakes.

Absolutley despise the @#%&! as a human being though.

Unread 15-09-2008, 01:45 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
I'd admire Wenger, to some extent, as a manger.Good buys (some shit ones too, which every £#%&!er seems to forget), great style of play etc.Lets not forget that he has had money there and refused to buy which has cost him in the trophy stakes.

Absolutley despise the @#%&! as a human being though.
Some what inaccurate.

Here's a post from another forum (F365... yes, full of mongs.. occasionally brilliant photoshops & once in a while a decent bit source of actual football knowledge).

Quote:
The Arsenal story at the moment:

It's been doom-and-gloom all over the place, and I've been wondering what the hell is going on with our finances as many other fans here are as well. So I went and downloaded the last set of financial reports to try and make some sense of it all. Granted, I'm no CFA, but here are the highlights... Note these figures are for 06/07

Our total wage bill for everyone at the club, (players, training staff, admin staff, ground staff = total of 374 people) was £89m. In perspective, PHW, our chairman, took home a total of £76k from the club.

Arsenal's major debts are listed as:
a) The Emirates Stadium
b) The re-development of Highbury and Drayton park

There is the stadium's cost, including the new training ground and office, which amounts to a total of £460m. Of that whole amounth, we only borrowed £250m, (meaning we've input the rest already from our clever dealings) at 5.14% fixed. That will fall due over 23 years starting in about 2011, which is apparently an interest rate to be envied.
The money for the building and construction at Highbury and the other property developments will continue to rise in cost as more building is completed. The project is expected to bring in more than (£350m? and rising.)

Our major short-term debts include an amount of more than £82m due between 2 and 5 years from 31 May 2007. This figure will also be added to.
Our total outstanding is £345m, and will still rise, yet more importantly, in this last season 07/08, we had an outstanding amount of £150m due to be paid, including extraordinary costs of refinancing the loans, etc.
I think this is where the lack of money might be?

Income is up massively, with TES providing 97% more revenue per match day than Highbury. Average match day income was £3.1m
Cash in hand was sitting at £79m with the increased 1st full-season revenue from TES.
The chairman stated that AW had significant funds available if he wanted them, but everyone was happy with the squad at that point. (Remember this is the start of 07/08)

All-in-all, it points toward the Highbury development (which is 95% sold) bringing in the major money in the next 2-3 years. The huge loan of £250m is well managed over 23 years, and will only start being paid off in 5 years from mid-2007. Once the short-term debts are handled (which is what revenue from TES is doing admirably), then the stadium income can go straight into development of the squad.

Thumbs Up

If anyone feels I've £#%&!ed any of this up, please feel free to correct me, as I said, I'm no CFA.
TES is the stadium for anyone genuinely perplexed & bothered.

The information regarding the flats / apartments... The Telegraph advised 550 of the 600 had been sold & completed. So all in all, Arsenal have somehow managed to manage their debt creatively & intelligently from what I can see will be ready to use their cash within the next 2 or 3 years after safe gaurding their way through the current credit crunch etc.

I know football is about winning, trophies & success. But if you were to ask Leeds fans what they'd of preffered, consistent top 4 & Elland Road redeveloped to a high standard & challenge properly in 10 years, or their current plight.... it's not a difficult question is it?

Wenger is just about the only manager around capable of keeping that Arsenal side comfortably in the top 4 & latter stages of the CL on a consistent basis.

If he's still there in 3 seasons & has the money to spend without fear of bankrupting his football club then you'd have to tip your hat to the old uber @#%&! & say he'd deserved a crack at it after shopping at Lidle for an age.

Unread 15-09-2008, 01:50 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron_van_Marlon
Some what inaccurate.

Here's a post from another forum (F365... yes, full of mongs.. occasionally brilliant photoshops & once in a while a decent bit source of actual football knowledge).

TES is the stadium for anyone genuinely perplexed & bothered.

The information regarding the flats / apartments... The Telegraph advised 550 of the 600 had been sold & completed. So all in all, Arsenal have somehow managed to manage their debt creatively & intelligently from what I can see will be ready to use their cash within the next 2 or 3 years after safe gaurding their way through the current credit crunch etc.

I know football is about winning, trophies & success. But if you were to ask Leeds fans what they'd of preffered, consistent top 4 & Elland Road redeveloped to a high standard & challenge properly in 10 years, or their current plight.... it's not a difficult question is it?

Wenger is just about the only manager around capable of keeping that Arsenal side comfortably in the top 4 & latter stages of the CL on a consistent basis.

If he's still there in 3 seasons & has the money to spend without fear of bankrupting his football club then you'd have to tip your hat to the old uber @#%&! & say he'd deserved a crack at it after shopping at Lidle for an age.

He kept faith with Cygan, when they were short, through 2 transfer windows when the whole world could see how bad he was for the team.I think that was the season when they had a decent lead over us, but we caught them.He was asked by numerous commentators/press etc if they had cash to spend and he kept saying he didn't need to but there was cash available.

It's not a point that 'proves' anything, just a point/opinion.

Unread 15-09-2008, 02:55 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
He kept faith with Cygan, when they were short, through 2 transfer windows when the whole world could see how bad he was for the team.I think that was the season when they had a decent lead over us, but we caught them.He was asked by numerous commentators/press etc if they had cash to spend and he kept saying he didn't need to but there was cash available.

It's not a point that 'proves' anything, just a point/opinion.
I'm not going to defend Cygan, or Wenger for buying him. But every manager has bought shite & Cygan was a pittance at €3m. Hence the information re. cash flow. He'd surely have bought better, if he could. He still managed to win 2 FA Cups & the league with Cygan in the squad. Much like Fergie's won numerous trophies with some dogshit players in the squad, although you'd imagine they were more expensive than €3m...

Unread 16-09-2008, 10:25 AM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron_van_Marlon
Was manager at the Galaticos era....

£46m on Zidane alone... £38.7m on Figo... £28.5m on Ronaldo

So as much on 3 players as Wenger has probably done in 10 years.
Hmmm, not bad signings though. And they won £#%&! all after he was sacked so it's not just a question of money.
Closed Thread