United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 13-08-2018, 07:12 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
Some of the other names have apparently done a good job at other clubs, but you really need somebody on the same page as Mourinho. No confidence that'll be the case. He needs to bend a little too btw.
Can't see Mou being in place by the time this actually happens. Tbf some of the names linked look like they have the right profile for the position but ultimately it will come down to what remit they are given by the club.

Unread 13-08-2018, 07:13 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarFace
plus we'll offer him half of what he asks to be paid
The genius strategical acumen from woowar that we are now familiar with

Unread 13-08-2018, 07:19 PM
Ranier Wolfcastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
This.
Bar summer 2007, Gill was quite overrated

Unread 13-08-2018, 07:30 PM
AK14

Tbf I think one of the reasons we didn’t need a DoF under Gill was because we had Fergie who was running the football side of things and not just manager

We need someone in charge of the football side of things at the club, from transfers to manager appointments to working with youth development side of things. Preferably someone who knows football and not some bean counter

Doubt it’ll happen though because Woodward won’t give up the reigns that easily.

Unread 13-08-2018, 08:06 PM
saffers

I would be a good DOF for United.

Would be class to work with Mou.

Unread 13-08-2018, 08:26 PM
sa7

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers

I’d like to take Woodward’s role.

Then I could sack the pair of you. Or tell Mourinho it was you or him and watch you crumble as he turned on you like a caged rat.

All in the spirit of friendship of course.

Unread 13-08-2018, 09:40 PM
andyroo

Quote:

"Play some football, Mou"

"No"

Unread 13-08-2018, 10:15 PM
Red Al

First thing is we need owners that have Manchester United and what they acheve as a top priority and not just its revenue to line their own pockets.

Until that changes we will keep lurching from one disaster to another.

Unread 13-08-2018, 11:31 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
He’d never have allowed it though like you said. Hopefully Woody (or who ever) picks the right man and gives him ultimate control for overseeing the football side of the club...

We both know there’s a good chance we’ll £#%&! this up too.
I already don't like the idea that it's just one guy under this DoF title that will change it all. £#%&! knows who it'd be too.

Imagine having a structure with two or three people who know the game

Juventus currently have Zinedine Zidane as a director and Pavel Nedved as vice-chairman.

Imagine the various footballing issues, like the one with Pogba and the manager, coming up at Juve, They call a board meeting. Nedved chairing it, with Zidane among the directors. Same thing happens at United: it's Ed Woodward asking Richard Arnold what to do.

Unread 14-08-2018, 02:20 AM
Stickman

i'm all for appointing one on the basis most of our signings seem to make little sense.

Unread 14-08-2018, 06:53 AM
ScarFace

Quote:

You'd only allow the club to buy left footers !

Unread 14-08-2018, 08:53 AM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarFace
You'd only allow the club to buy left footers !
Nowt wrong with Catholic players

Unread 14-08-2018, 09:02 AM
TripDownMiseryLane

People expecting woody to select the right man once the women's bogs have been installed at carrington

Unread 14-08-2018, 09:50 AM
Cream

Wonder if we'd be interested in bringing back this Ribalta lad who £#%&!ed off to be DOF at Zenit?

Him and Pochettino would constitute two of the brightest young minds in world football taking the club forward. Focus on youth development/pilfering and budget buys. Neither would have the character to threaten little Ed, so he'd love that.

TWICI.

Unread 14-08-2018, 10:38 AM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
Wonder if we'd be interested in bringing back this Ribalta lad who £#%&!ed off to be DOF at Zenit?

Him and Pochettino would constitute two of the brightest young minds in world football taking the club forward. Focus on youth development/pilfering and budget buys. Neither would have the character to threaten little Ed, so he'd love that.

TWICI.
you’ve changed your tune lad

That’s exactly the way United should be going. Innovative, forward-thinking modern day football men. Mourinho is the antithesis of that. He genuinely has no idea what to do with young players or how to plan for the future or even how to develop and implement a footballing philosophy. He has no interest in doing any of it either.

Mourinho is not a United man.

Unread 14-08-2018, 11:00 AM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part 36 Offer
you’ve changed your tune lad

That’s exactly the way United should be going. Innovative, forward-thinking modern day football men. Mourinho is the antithesis of that. He genuinely has no idea what to do with young players or how to plan for the future or even how to develop and implement a footballing philosophy. He has no interest in doing any of it either.

Mourinho is not a United man.
Not at all. I disagree with the direction but accept the reality of our club's structure, which is quite Spursy. Though we'll spend more than them, so it might work out well.

Slight issue would be the likes of Pogba (Ramos, Ronaldo etc) challenging the manager on the daily. No way the likes of Pochettino would resist. But with managers being transient these days, I suppose that's no big deal.

Mou knows he's toast. The sooner he goes the better imo.

Unread 14-08-2018, 11:04 AM
Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:
Mou knows he's toast. The sooner he goes the better imo.

you really have changed.. good man.

welcome to the light.

Unread 14-08-2018, 11:13 AM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazlo Panaflex

you really have changed.. good man.

welcome to the light.
Again, friend, I would rather he stayed, won the league and saw Woodward off.

Prefer a dictator manager in the mould of Freg and Busby.

We're entering an era of unprecedented player power and CEO enforced transfers now. DOF and manager will need to work miracles.

Unread 14-08-2018, 03:51 PM
red in cumbria

I wish that reemers was wrong on that, but I fear he isn't.

Unread 14-08-2018, 05:57 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Again, friend, I would rather he stayed, won the league and saw Woodward off.

Prefer a dictator manager in the mould of Freg and Busby.

We're entering an era of unprecedented player power and CEO enforced transfers now. DOF and manager will need to work miracles.
The rest of the world entered that era a long time ago. It doesn't require miracles, but it does require the club and the manager to share a vision. It seems quite clear that isn't the case, and if United's biggest star is now making a power play, it spells danger for Mou.

The harsh reality for Mourinho is that Woodward is more important to the Glazers than him and Pogba is probably more important to Woodward than him. He's going to need what little tact he has left to manage those confrontations, because he probably can't win them.
Closed Thread