United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 10-09-2014, 11:59 AM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by vangaalsbigballs
I am not sure if the dodger has read the article correctly. If you read at the end where chelsea clubs statement is given

"We understand the letter of the law is very clear on this subject, and the ramifications for Claude and Chelsea if he is called up but does not play".

Makes it clear that could have been penalties for both Makelele and chelsea if he had refused to play and domenech named him in the squad.
The statement from FIFA is quite clear. The problem with Maklele was that he was called up then retired which is obviously a farce as you could retire when you fancied then come back for the important games. In theory anyway.
The situation with Ribery is different. He retired long before any squads were announced and the FIFA spokesman, from 2006 at least, backs his right to do so. Frankly, any other situation would be ludicrous.

Unread 10-09-2014, 12:11 PM
jem

Quote:
not wanting to play for your country
wanting to play more for your club?

Quote:
The law is because if most players think like that international football will end up like a farce.

Unread 10-09-2014, 12:29 PM
HotChip

I was led to believe the muzzes hate playing for France since they started having a go at the hijab etc that's why they jacked it in at the first opportunity ... Marlo's BFF, Ribery.

Unread 10-09-2014, 01:09 PM
Zorg

Quote:
exactly. Ben £#%&!ing foster
I agree with you there.

There are different reasons for doing it though.

And I don't remember Platini being too arsed when Danny Higginbotham announced his retirement from Gibraltar.

Unread 10-09-2014, 01:52 PM
vangaalsbigballs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
I agree with you there.

There are different reasons for doing it though.

And I don't remember Platini being too arsed when Danny Higginbotham announced his retirement from Gibraltar.
Platini is a @#%&!, nqat.

Unread 10-09-2014, 02:10 PM
Rorschach

They can't force any player to play for their country.

But it is to a young player's advantage to become an international, as it leverages your value in club contract / transfer negotiations.

Once you're in, it's possible there comes a time when you no longer wish to play for the national team:

i) You're a prima donna who doesn't fancy certain [lower profile] games.
ii) Your manager wants to keep you fit/fresh for big club games.

This is what the legislation is there to cover - you can't pick and choose, the international team needs a degree of stability, so players and clubs can face sanction.

iii) You've had enough of being stuck on the left wing to cover for inferior central players.
iv) You're getting on a bit & want to play for your club in big European comps for a last couple of years.
v) You think the manager's a @#%&!.

This is when you announce your retirement and take yourself out of the running. If you do it properly, before a squad is announced, then you cannot be sanctioned.

Ribery is a @#%&! but has announced in plenty of time that he no longer wishes to be considered for international selection.

Platini is a @#%&! and is wrong.

Unread 10-09-2014, 02:13 PM
Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach

Ribery is a @#%&! but has announced in plenty of time that he no longer wishes to be considered for international selection.

Platini is a @#%&! and is wrong.
Think it's safe to say everyone involved in this debacle is a @#%&!. Even the op.

Unread 10-09-2014, 02:16 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
They're pro-Footballers ffs, they should want to play as often as possible.
I don't think that's the case with too many of them. Think about how international football especially involves a lot of travel and time away from family (or time not resting, at least), and the payoff isn't much, really, unless you're playing for Germany or Spain. Most footballers are also nursing some kind of pain, inflammation, and fatigue throughout a nine-month season, too.

Whether they should play or not is another question, but I can understand them not wanting to.

Unread 10-09-2014, 02:22 PM
Zorg

Look at Carrick - went out to South Africa to the World Cup to sit on the bench watching Frank Milner and Steven Lampard doing £#%&! all. He wasn't some young kid, he was a seasoned pro who'd won titles and a champions league, away from his family for several weeks and didn't play a single minute. I can understand players in that situation wondering if it's worth the bother.

Unread 10-09-2014, 02:39 PM
HotChip

Quote:
Look at Carrick - went out to South Africa to the World Cup to sit on the bench watching Frank Milner and Steven Lampard doing £#%&! all. He wasn't some young kid, he was a seasoned pro who'd won titles and a champions league, away from his family for several weeks and didn't play a single minute. I can understand players in that situation wondering if it's worth the bother.
Iam sure MOST footballers would rather go on a top of the range holiday with top birds and snort coke from various crevice's rather than 'work' its a no brainer.

Unread 10-09-2014, 04:27 PM
BryanRobson'sLiver

All he needs to do if you don't want to play for France is be their captain when the other players tell the manager he's a @#%&! and hey proesto, no international call for ages.

Unread 10-09-2014, 04:29 PM
vangaalsbigballs

Quote:
I am not sure that's a good example. Carrick was a back up because he simply wasn't good enough for the job.

Unread 10-09-2014, 04:48 PM
dodger

Quote:
I am not sure that's a good example. Carrick was a back up because he simply wasn't good enough for the job.
Sure. But still, it must be frustrating sitting on the bench watching the other great talents who play in your position tearing apart the likes of USA and Algeria. Knowing full well you couldn't possibly do any better than them so never getting an opportunity.

Unread 10-09-2014, 05:28 PM
ChairmanMao

Quote:
Oh go and get £#%&!ed Lampard and Gerrard had been failing at major international tournaments for 8 years by 2010 while Carrick had won trophies and reached the latter stages of Europe repeatedly, like £#%&! he wasn't better than Milner or frankly worth a shot ahead of Frank and Steve's Biennial Failure Jamboree.

Unread 10-09-2014, 05:29 PM
S/Side.Red

Carrick is good enough to play in any team. The idea that he's not good enough to play for England

Unread 10-09-2014, 05:36 PM
vangaalsbigballs

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Carrick is good enough to play in any team. The idea that he's not good enough to play for England
did you even watch how carrick used to play for england when he got the chance? so timid, so wasteful and ponderous.

Unread 10-09-2014, 05:51 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
did you even watch how carrick used to play for england when he got the chance? so timid, so wasteful and ponderous.
You mean sporadically in friendlies and qualification games that are non events? That's been his England career.

He was getting positive reviews for his partnership with Gerrard in WC qualification this time last year.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...his-worth.html

http://www.theguardian.com/football/...gerrard-poland

Unread 10-09-2014, 09:12 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChip
I was led to believe the muzzes hate playing for France since they started having a go at the hijab etc that's why they jacked it in at the first opportunity ... Marlo's BFF, Ribery.
Very interesting - what other things have your EDL mates told you?? :shakehead:

Unread 11-09-2014, 12:15 PM
Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:
I hate england

Unread 11-09-2014, 12:29 PM
guerreiro

I reckon if I was a top footballer (which was obviously a possibility), I'd retire before I earns my first cap. Don't hate England, far from it, just couldn't be arsed playing football that much. The grief you get for playing them would be a right pain in the arse. I'd be a £#%&!ing millionaire in my 20's, I'd want a few weekends off work.
Closed Thread