United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 22-02-2023, 11:49 AM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
They seemed to be chasing a third goal when they were already 2-0 up against Madrid at home

Ridiculous game management really from Klopp, he's completely come off the rails there now. He needs to build a new team and it doesn't look like he even knows where to start with it.

A bit off topic but was talking to my boss about this morning that it just proves how ridiculously good Fergal was. Continually rebuilding Premier League winning squads all while the game was evolving at an unprecedented pace. It's just insane how good he was.
Yup

Built 4 or 5 successful sides over the years

Incredible.

Unread 22-02-2023, 11:57 AM
Dr Stranger

Said it in the summer, but this Liverpool team is going to be remembered more for what they didn’t win.

They claim it’s an all-time great side. They say they won ‘everything there is to win’. Well yes, but once.

Great teams don’t do things once.

There are no great top flight teams with ONE league title (and that was during Covid).

They have a habit of their arse falling out too if they’re not right at the top. They’re either getting 95 points or they’re tumbling down the league. two of the last three seasons, they’ve been struggling for top four. I think United finished in the top three from 1992 to 2013 - 21 consecutive seasons! And only 2 times were they 3rd. 2nd or 1st. Incredible.

They’ll be remembered more for being repeatedly pipped by City. Their great rivalry that they ended up being on the wrong side of more often than not. Banging on about record points totals of finishing second. Getting to finals of every cup - all stuff they NEARLY did.

Fact is, this supposedly great team has been during an era where City have won 4 of the last 5 titles.

That’s like Everton claiming they were the team of the 80s. Arsenal with 2 league titles have more of a claim to be the team of the 90s

And now it’s all over for them. Right at the time their closest rivals are finally getting their shit together and another club has been bought out by oil money.

“Eras end”

Unread 22-02-2023, 11:59 AM
NedKelly

I don’t think they’ll be remembered at all.

Unread 22-02-2023, 12:38 PM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron
Reverse fixtures this season - drew 1-1 with Palace at home & Wolves absolutely pumped them 3-0 at theirs
Palace are up and down but as far as I remember they always seem to struggle vs Wolves.

They’ve got 3 weeks before the RM 2nd leg

However it falls, looks like a tricky run for them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
They can win both for all I care. The key is that WE beat them. We haven’t turned up there in years. When did last score there? Can’t even remember. All just melted into a haze of resounding losses and a couple of plucky 0-0s.

This is the biggest disparity between the two sides in our favour since Fergie left, IMO. We looked equipped at away games. Like we have a plan. I want us going there and being cold and clinical. I want us going there with silverware under our belts. I want them beaten and our current superiority underlined and beyond doubt.
Well of course. I’d just rather they didn’t get any optimism/momentum going befor us. They did enough to get 2-0 in front of RM after a couple of recent wins got them on track following a poor run. Most other teams would’ve probably folded. Not looking good for them though, hopefully, at a time we’re getting players back

Just really need a win there

Unread 22-02-2023, 12:42 PM
wiganste

They've had 2 hammerings in this competition this season

Napoli (was it 4-0 or 4-1?) and now this. Lovely to see

Let's hope Madrid stick another 3 or 4 past them in the 2nd leg

Unread 22-02-2023, 03:10 PM
wee man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
They seemed to be chasing a third goal when they were already 2-0 up against Madrid at home

Ridiculous game management really from Klopp, he's completely come off the rails there now. He needs to build a new team and it doesn't look like he even knows where to start with it.

A bit off topic but was talking to my boss about this morning that it just proves how ridiculously good Fergal was. Continually rebuilding Premier League winning squads all while the game was evolving at an unprecedented pace. It's just insane how good he was.
One of Fergie's greatest strengths was knowing when a player had peaked and needed moving on - his weakness was, particularly with the bigger names, is that he sometimes engineered a falling out.

Unread 22-02-2023, 03:46 PM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by wee man
One of Fergie's greatest strengths was knowing when a player had peaked and needed moving on - his weakness was, particularly with the bigger names, is that he sometimes engineered a falling out.
I think with his personality and the personality of the players he wanted on the pitch it was always going to happen. He wanted those big ego players, who want to win and feel hurt when they don’t . Big egos will cause arguments and falling outs .

A lot of those big players had massive personalities which help win that second and third league title. An element of “ we are the dogs %@#$&!s and need to push ourselves every year to prove it because i’ll be damned if someone takes my league title”

It’s a double edged sword but the benefits of having those types of players outweighs the negatives if you can control the environment which fergie could. (In some instances had falling outs and got rid of players simply to keep order and let everyone know)

Unread 22-02-2023, 05:49 PM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Madrid are completely shot aren't they. Ancelotti has rinsed every last drop out of this team hasn't he.
Love sparky absolutely £#%&!ing love him 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Unread 22-02-2023, 06:17 PM
tatty

RAWK is weird, they take pride in their blind devotion to the players and manager.

Unread 22-02-2023, 06:57 PM
Sparky***

love it when they play madrid and get smacked

They swan around England with their 6 times flags like the big 'I am". Then in walks the big dogs with their 14 european cups and humbles them.

It always reminds me of this scene in Tombstone.

Unread 22-02-2023, 07:16 PM
Selhurst Samurai

Even looks like an actual rat that one.

Unread 23-02-2023, 03:11 AM
madhattricks

Jamie Carragher reacts to every goal…or doesn’t.

Closed Thread