United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 10-12-2021, 11:57 AM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
Not even a slight exaggeration.

Surprising how people quickly forget his last >couple of years. Definitely went through the motions (somebody will probably post his fk vs Madrid) and took time off with “injuries” to traipse around the globe to help promote his showbiz wife’s career. Pogba rightly gets criticism for it. Shamelessly flaunted his “wound” and parted his fringe after the boot incident.

Great player when he was at it but the brand took over long before he left.
What a load of shite....

Unread 10-12-2021, 11:58 AM
Patty_b

Favourite player as a kid, and a great footballer throughout his career.

Do think there's something a bit Patrick Bateman about him though since he's retired.

Unread 10-12-2021, 12:55 PM
Jack Duckworth

he was absolutely brilliant for us. those crosses

i reckon he got an extra 20% of neville going forward too, they had a great partnership on the right. we were a much better side with him in it than without him.

Unread 10-12-2021, 11:56 PM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
Nah Beckham is one of the very few players in the world to have consistently given his all on the pitch whilst also building a brand. In fact, the only other player I can think of is Ronaldo. People argue all day about his ability (I think he was world class, some just think he was only about dead ball delivery), but I think you’re the first person I’ve ever seen say he was “going through the motions”.
Agree with all those points including was world class. But he went through the motions during that last period during his stoush with Fergie, no doubt egged on by the silly bint. Knew at the time there’d be some in denial as evidenced by some reaction here, who go OTT on some players with both criticism and hero worship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
he was absolutely brilliant for us. those crosses

i reckon he got an extra 20% of neville going forward too, they had a great partnership on the right. we were a much better side with him in it than without him.
Correct

Unread 11-12-2021, 12:10 AM
avocado

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
Nah Beckham is one of the very few players in the world to have consistently given his all on the pitch whilst also building a brand. In fact, the only other player I can think of is Ronaldo. People argue all day about his ability (I think he was world class, some just think he was only about dead ball delivery), but I think you’re the first person I’ve ever seen say he was “going through the motions”.
Too true. I’d love the current lot to be “going through the motions” if that is what it was. Amazed that when we can get in a corner kick coach no-one has thought of getting him in to teach players how to cross a ball.

Unread 11-12-2021, 12:21 AM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
Agree with all those points including was world class. But he went through the motions during that last period during his stoush with Fergie, no doubt egged on by the silly bint. Knew at the time there’d be some in denial as evidenced by some reaction here, who go OTT on some players with both criticism and hero worship.
He got an injury at the start of his last season and Ole actually played down the right. I remember Beckham coming back against West Ham in the 3-0 in mid-December, Veron scoring a belting free-kick in the first half, Beckham playing the second in place of Ole.

Once Becks was restored to the starting line up after a couple more games (we lost both), we went unbeaten for the rest of the season. The media circus and being smitten with the stick insect aside, the one thing you could never accuse him of was failing to put a shift in. Appreciate you've been backed into a corner on this somewhat, but when you compare the effort Becks put in to that of Martial, you've definitely brought it on yourself.

Unread 11-12-2021, 12:48 PM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ToBury
He got an injury at the start of his last season and Ole actually played down the right. I remember Beckham coming back against West Ham in the 3-0 in mid-December, Veron scoring a belting free-kick in the first half, Beckham playing the second in place of Ole.

Once Becks was restored to the starting line up after a couple more games (we lost both), we went unbeaten for the rest of the season. The media circus and being smitten with the stick insect aside, the one thing you could never accuse him of was failing to put a shift in. Appreciate you've been backed into a corner on this somewhat, but when you compare the effort Becks put in to that of Martial, you've definitely brought it on yourself.
Perhaps the Martial reference was a bit strong but ffs, does everything always get taken literally around here? I haven’t been backed into any corner by people who cannot see that he was believing his own hype after he’d got Fleet St smitten and eating out of his hands after the France 98 aftermath, which is another story.

Beckham was shite in his last couple of years, wilfully ignoring Fergie’s directive to rest whilst injured and not go traipsing around NY, LA and Paris after her.

He didn’t exactly set Madrid alight with Calderon/Perez and Capello far from impressed. He lost his place (after they lost 7 from 9) to Reyes ffs. In fact, when he was actually started in the final run up to the title, he was so ineffective that Reyes replaced him again, and scored two goals that finally won the title for Madrid for the first time during his stay. He’d long since lost it by then. I’m well aware of his previous performance level before it went to his head. Looks like some have their poster boys latter years whitewashed from memory. He sure did a good job going from effigies to the Prince of Hearts. Priorities eh?

He was great whilst he was great. He just wasn’t after that. Not at football, anyway. I can’t help those in denial if they are too besotted to remember.

Unread 11-12-2021, 01:59 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ToBury

Not sure if my memory is playing tricks on me, but wasn't he surprisingly good in that role? Showed himself to be a decent crosser of the ball?

Unread 11-12-2021, 02:04 PM
Rorschach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al
Not sure if my memory is playing tricks on me, but wasn't he surprisingly good in that role? Showed himself to be a decent crosser of the ball?
That's how I remember it. Held down the right wing spot on merit for a while.

Unread 11-12-2021, 02:12 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al
Yeah but Beckham had stop trying.

Unread 11-12-2021, 05:42 PM
Harry Flashman

As I remember it. Beckham played centre of the park that last season for quite a while as Keane was injured.
The propoganda, that he went through the motions is just a bit revisionary for me.
There wasn't a player who tried as hard as him.

Fergie obviously got pissed of with the roadshow and team becks were playing the game as well so I think the boss said £#%&! it.

Ole played on the right as Becks was centre of the park. It was an easy call for Fergie when Royston came back not to play becks as Ole was doing well.

Real good player for us.
Sold too cheap.
Ultimately too self interested or his PR people thought he was bigger than football is the reason he went.

Could well be wrong about his stint in the centre of the park. Time does play tricks.

Just seen 92 to Burys post.

I agree.

Unread 11-12-2021, 07:36 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Flashman
As I remember it. Beckham played centre of the park that last season for quite a while as Keane was injured.
The propoganda, that he went through the motions is just a bit revisionary for me.
There wasn't a player who tried as hard as him.

Fergie obviously got pissed of with the roadshow and team becks were playing the game as well so I think the boss said £#%&! it.

Ole played on the right as Becks was centre of the park. It was an easy call for Fergie when Royston came back not to play becks as Ole was doing well.

Real good player for us.
Sold too cheap.
Ultimately too self interested or his PR people thought he was bigger than football is the reason he went.

Could well be wrong about his stint in the centre of the park. Time does play tricks.

Just seen 92 to Burys post.

I agree.
Not sure it was his PR people.
It was deffo her & hers. She'd been openly talking about wanting him to play abroad for a couple of years. You can just imagine her Wormtonguing in his ear.

Unread 11-12-2021, 08:10 PM
sweetleftfoot

Back to the thread, what kind of greedy @#%&! takes blood money like that to help sportswash for an oil state with an appalling human rights record. Can't need the brass surely?

Unread 12-12-2021, 05:50 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetleftfoot
Back to the thread, what kind of greedy @#%&! takes blood money like that to help sportswash for an oil state with an appalling human rights record. Can't need the brass surely?
Because it’s the World Cup and I’m assuming the football side trumps the morality side. Were people that concerned about the human rights issues when it was in South Africa, Russia or Brazil?

If nations and in particular footballers are prepared to play in the tournament then why shouldn’t people be involved in the promotion of it? For me, once it was agreed to be played there and definitely once it was shifted to the winter, every governing body, footballer and supporter should have told them to stick it.
Closed Thread