United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 19-01-2007, 06:51 PM
Filliam H. Muffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by naes_sean
exactly! I mean, what's another 10 mil eh!
Now we're on the same page, my man. Might as well have some laughs before we go under.

Unread 19-01-2007, 06:52 PM
Lou_Macari_Chippy

They will take the 20m in the summer i'm sure; it's too good of a deal to pass up ...

Unread 19-01-2007, 07:01 PM
violater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_Macari_Chippy
They will take the 20m in the summer i'm sure; it's too good of a deal to pass up ...
if we bid the same amount in the summer we are the worst run club in world...

its getting higher as his contracts winds down and the more he openly says he wants to come.

Unread 19-01-2007, 07:02 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by violater™
Point one is it's a crock of shit

Point two is it's on another forum

If you think that is their post of the day why don't you go tell them?

What has it got to do with this forum?

Unread 19-01-2007, 07:54 PM
S/Side.Red

I expect the deal will go through before the end of the month.

There's no way Bayern are going to refuse 20m for a player like Hargreaves. He's worth less than half that.

Unread 19-01-2007, 08:04 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
I expect the deal will go through before the end of the month.

There's no way Bayern are going to refuse 20m for a player like Hargreaves. He's worth less than half that.
Not sure whether I think it'll go through or not.

As for the valuation, I think it's closer than yours S/Side. You need to factor a few things in, I think:

His outstanding World Cup
His up-bringing (and therefore pedigree) at Bayern
His current status as a regular in one of the top national teams
The club showing interest (CL rivals)
The club showing interest (United tax)
And the effective sugar-daddy of the club showing interest (Murdoch); oh yes, they want some of the Premiership's gold dust sprinkling their way all right.

What all this adds up to who's to say? But once you then factor in the player's undoubted ability and unquestioned quality then it may not be that unreasonable a deal - and the add ons may well take it close to £20m.

Unread 19-01-2007, 08:05 PM
koppas

And the fact we £#%&!ed off Bayern by Ruud going to Madrid.

Unread 19-01-2007, 08:15 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
Not sure whether I think it'll go through or not.

As for the valuation, I think it's closer than yours S/Side. You need to factor a few things in, I think:

His outstanding World Cup
His up-bringing (and therefore pedigree) at Bayern
His current status as a regular in one of the top national teams
The club showing interest (CL rivals)
The club showing interest (United tax)
And the effective sugar-daddy of the club showing interest (Murdoch); oh yes, they want some of the Premiership's gold dust sprinkling their way all right.
The first three points could relate to any number of players, most of which wouldn't be worth anywhere near 20m. The last three are the reason I'm not surprised at the valuation, but that doesn't mean we should pay it.

I'd say you could assign that exact reasoning to excuse bidding 20m for Phillipe Lahm, or Schweinstieger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
then factor in the player's undoubted ability and unquestioned quality
We disagree on this point, too. I don't think his ability and quality is unquestioned at all. In fact, before the World Cup it was constantly questioned by most. Time will tell whether he's worth it but at the moment I'm pretty repulsed by the fee. I reckon he's worth 8m, little more.

Hopefully I'm wrong and he goes on to be brilliant for us and worth every penny, but I can even see him getting in the current side at the moment.

Unread 19-01-2007, 08:19 PM
Whalefish

Bayern board are meeting over the weekend to discuss this offer.

They'll be nuts to turn it down IMO. That'll shit the Glazers up if accepted, they'll have to find the cash next.

Unread 19-01-2007, 09:08 PM
Lou_Macari_Chippy

i think 15m max would have been a decent deal for United, 20m is a bit much. They must rate him really really highly to splash that kind of cash out. I wont pretend to have seen much of him so i'll reserve judgement of how good he is until he starts wearing the shirt. Hope he can take the pressure of being a 20m player - everyone will have high expectations. Seems pretty level headed though.

Unread 19-01-2007, 09:10 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
The first three points could relate to any number of players, most of which wouldn't be worth anywhere near 20m. The last three are the reason I'm not surprised at the valuation, but that doesn't mean we should pay it.

I'd say you could assign that exact reasoning to excuse bidding 20m for Phillipe Lahm, or Schweinstieger.

We disagree on this point, too. I don't think his ability and quality is unquestioned at all. In fact, before the World Cup it was constantly questioned by most. Time will tell whether he's worth it but at the moment I'm pretty repulsed by the fee. I reckon he's worth 8m, little more.

Hopefully I'm wrong and he goes on to be brilliant for us and worth every penny, but I can even see him getting in the current side at the moment.
Course, Hargreaves has a flexibility that neither of those two players you mention can boast. I've been behind the scenes at Bayern, so I wasn't one of those who questioned Hargreaves - can't speak for anybody else's motives for doing so. As for the valuation, you're deliberately under-valuing him to make your point methinks. If nothing else, the Carrick transfer of £14m will probably need to be matched. Plus similar add-ons related to achievements and appearances (based on the well-being of the leg).

Unread 19-01-2007, 09:15 PM
shadowplay

When is he due back playing?

Unread 19-01-2007, 09:26 PM
borsuk

Default the value of a player is different for different teams

fergie has decided that hargreaves is what he wants and he doesn't seem to be interested in anyone else. with carrick it was similar; with saha, rio and rooney too.

if bayern didn't have hargreaves would they pay 20 mil for him? of course not. does that mean they will take our 20 mil? not necessarily. there's no one valuation for a player - it depends on the team and their situation. personally, i would be delighted with hargreaves for 20 mil simply because i think he will bring success to united and three 7 mil players will not. i also think he will allow us to maintain the style we have and to play football i like to watch.

Unread 19-01-2007, 09:31 PM
Lou_Macari_Chippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
fergie has decided that hargreaves is what he wants and he doesn't seem to be interested in anyone else. with carrick it was similar; with saha, rio and rooney too.

if bayern didn't have hargreaves would they pay 20 mil for him? of course not. does that mean they will take our 20 mil? not necessarily. there's no one valuation for a player - it depends on the team and their situation. personally, i would be delighted with hargreaves for 20 mil simply because i think he will bring success to united and three 7 mil players will not. i also think he will allow us to maintain the style we have and to play football i like to watch.
Good points. In the world cup he seemed like a player that isn't afraid to force things a bit which is always nice to see. TBH though i'm not sure where he fits into the team... who does he replace?

Unread 19-01-2007, 09:31 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:

Yeh I agree with that borsuk.

Unread 19-01-2007, 09:39 PM
Camel

seems to me that fergie is determined not to get stung in future european competitions if they manage to reintroduce the foreigner rule.

carrick, hargreaves, bale. when there are/were obvious alternatives.

i admire his comittment to keeping a core of english (yes, i know but they will count as such) players and not following the soulless route of buying cheap foreign imports like most teams.

but that probably makes me a racist.

where's my white hood? it's time to set fire to that cross in the garden.

Unread 19-01-2007, 09:41 PM
Tensai

If you had doubts about Hargreaves' ability, just watch this (and yes, it's him this time, no more jokes):

Great skills, and the terrific music really gets you going.

Unread 19-01-2007, 09:42 PM
wiganste

Quote:

Very well put Borsuk. A bit of common sense at last. We all know £20m is too much, nobody should be worth that. But he is the kind of player that we need. A player who has an incredible engine, a player who can tackle and a player who can pass. In fact, I'd go as far as saying he's potentially captain material. But he's not a glamorous foreigner so obviously he's no good for us.

Unread 19-01-2007, 09:47 PM
Ether

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tensai
If you had doubts about Hargreaves' ability, just watch this (and yes, it's him this time, no more jokes):

Great skills, and the terrific music really gets you going.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A02Z700EeaA
Bit concerned about his movement, seems very static at times.

Unread 19-01-2007, 11:00 PM
Lou_Macari_Chippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
But he's not a glamorous foreigner so obviously he's no good for us.
glamorous; no
foreigner; yes
Closed Thread