United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 15-12-2006, 03:51 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
So in your opinion there is no chance that the reason Bayern don't want to sell Hargreaves is that he is actually a very good player who isintegral to their team and who they don't think they can replace?
Well, the thing that makes me doubt that is that it appeared that a deal was so close before that England game at Old Trafford. Everyone down to the commentator for the match was saying it was happening.

I've seen a few people on the box (Eric Harrison for one) saying they reckon Fergie thought he had Hargreaves.

I just think something happened to make them pull the plug, and I've heard a few continental based journos (inluding a German one, Ralfe something) saying that we pissed them off.

Just my take.

Unread 15-12-2006, 03:52 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Well, the thing that makes me doubt that is that it appeared that a deal was so close before that England game at Old Trafford. Everyone down to the commentator for the match was saying it was happening.

I've seen a few people on the box (Eric Harrison for one) saying they reckon Fergie thought he had Hargreaves.

I just think something happened to make them pull the plug, and I've heard a few continental based journos (inluding a German one, Ralfe something) saying that we pissed them off.

Just my take.
How do you think we pissed them off? Journo insights?

Unread 15-12-2006, 03:54 PM
Whalefish

Tim Borowski. If they'd signed him in the Summer, paying the money Bremen wanted, we'd have Hargreaves now. Borowski wasn't sure about the move and Munich would cough up £15million. They wanted him in 'on the cheap'. Getting away with bullying clubs in their own league seems to be a thing of the past now. Van Buyten may have agreed to move but Hamburg weren't going to allow Munich to pinch 1 or 2 others - moreover VDV turned them down.

Hargreaves is a good player but if they add to their midfield in the January window I don't think he'll feature much. Van Bommel has settled, the Argie is first choice as the holding midfielder and they have options to fill the left. Possibly more if Emre moves on.

Unread 15-12-2006, 03:58 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
How do you think we pissed them off? Journo insights?
I think we probably encouraged him to press for the move through the press.

Unread 15-12-2006, 04:01 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
I think we probably encouraged him to press for the move through the press.
I'm not sure being spotted with OT officials whislt on England duty went down well either. Although I think they're used when England are up at Carrington anyway. Could be wrong though.

Unread 15-12-2006, 04:03 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
We'll continue pursuing him as it looks like we're trying to sign a much needed midfielder but those nasty Germans just won't sell. Fact is we're a bit broke. Tbh Gill et al would probably shit it if Munich turned around and said fine, you can have him.

Where do we get the money from now? Who to sell etc?

We don't even need much money to get a couple of decent players in January. We need a midfielder and another attacking player.

Neither needs to be a 'star' as our first eleven is clearly pretty good. Just a couple of players to add some competition.

Sell Smith and Richardson and you should have enough money to do something.

I'd be tempted to go in for Daniel Carvalho, personally. Going on the cheap in the new year.

Unread 15-12-2006, 04:05 PM
Whalefish

Fergie rates him - apparently - but I suspect we won't bother. That Nani seems to be flavour of the month atm although I still haven't seen him play and I've seen Lisbon a few times this year.

Unread 15-12-2006, 04:07 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Fergie rates him - apparently - but I suspect we won't bother. That Nani seems to be flavour of the month atm although I still haven't seen him play and I've seen Lisbon a few times this year.
I've seen Nani a coupla times. Reminds me of a newborn giraffe.

Unread 15-12-2006, 04:08 PM
magic_cantona

Whale, seeing as you're ITK, who do you reckon we will sign in January?

Unread 15-12-2006, 04:09 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
I think he (Carvalho) is perfect for what we need. Can play on the left but also very good as an advanced midfielder or off the forwards.

At his age, and with what would be a very reasonable price, I think it's worth a shot.

No big player ego, either. He wouldn't come in and demand an instant first team place. That's what I think we need, as unsettling the current starting lineup would be dangerous.

Unread 15-12-2006, 04:09 PM
El Calafate

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
we're buying the entire Lille first team squad. they're supposed to be great. nft.

Unread 15-12-2006, 04:10 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Calafate
we're buying the entire Lille first team squad. they're supposed to be great. nft.

Unread 15-12-2006, 04:12 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
I'm not ITK, just get to hear one or two things which may or may be accurate. And as for who we'll sign in January I don't think we'll see any signings. Larsson apart we'll make do with the likes of Park, Smith and Ole returning. Perhaps 1 or 2 of the players on loan as well.

We're desperate for a central midfielder someone to cover if Scholes or Carrick get injured but nothing will happen. You just know a week or two after the window closes one will end up getting an injury that keeps on the sidelines for 6 weeks or more.

I honestly believe we've got to sell before we can buy and unfortunately our 'deadwood' so to speak won't bring in that much. We'll probably sell Wes (a fine option to have as third choice) and keep O'Shea (just shit). Brilliant piece of business that.

Unread 15-12-2006, 04:13 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
I think he (Carvalho) is perfect for what we need. Can play on the left but also very good as an advanced midfielder or off the forwards.

At his age, and with what would be a very reasonable price, I think it's worth a shot.

No big player ego, either. He wouldn't come in and demand an instant first team place. That's what I think we need, as unsettling the current starting lineup would be dangerous.
How long does he have left on his current contract and how much do you think he'd cost?

Unread 15-12-2006, 04:14 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
I've seen Nani a coupla times. Reminds me of a newborn giraffe.
He's a frustrating player. I saw him twice recently in very big games against Benfica and Inter. He's obviously supremely talented, but there are so many occasions when he's too careless in the final third.

I guess development on any interest would come purely down to price. I know a Sporting season ticket holder and he reckons they are broke and would be happy to do business if the price is right.

Unread 15-12-2006, 04:15 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
I'm not ITK, just get to hear one or two things which may or may be accurate. And as for who we'll sign in January I don't think we'll see any signings. Larsson apart we'll make do with the likes of Park, Smith and Ole returning. Perhaps 1 or 2 of the players on loan as well.

We're desperate for a central midfielder someone to cover if Scholes or Carrick get injured but nothing will happen. You just know a week or two after the window closes one will end up getting an injury that keeps on the sidelines for 6 weeks or more.

I honestly believe we've got to sell before we can buy and unfortunately our 'deadwood' so to speak won't bring in that much. We'll probably sell Wes (a fine option to have as third choice) and keep O'Shea (just shit). Brilliant piece of business that.
£#%&!ing painfully obvious that.I agree.I think it's the thing that frustrates me most about Ferguson, the £#%&!ing "Fletcher?Great player." attitude.

Unread 15-12-2006, 04:15 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
He's a frustrating player. I saw him twice recently in very big games against Benfica and Inter. He's obviously supremely talented, but there are so many occasions when he's too careless in the final third.

I guess development on any interest would come purely down to price. I know a Sporting season ticket holder and he reckons they are broke and would be happy to do business if the price is right.
I agree he has talent, worries me though that he is still so raw at 21 years old.

Unread 15-12-2006, 04:16 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
How long does he have left on his current contract and how much do you think he'd cost?
His contract is up in December 2007 at the end of the next Russian season.

He almost joined Bordeaux in August for 3.5m. His performances in Europe have seen his stock rise, but I wouldn't think it'd be too much more than that as he's unlikely to re-sign.

Barca and Atletico on the case, apparently. Arsenal mentioned too.

Unread 15-12-2006, 04:19 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
I agree he has talent, worries me though that he is still so raw at 21 years old.
He's 20, only as of a few weeks ago I think.

But yes, you would think he'd be a bit further down the line. The Sporting fans think he's great and still see him as a baby, but these days 20 isn't that young and I can't help feeling he's got a bit to go before all the hype is justified.

Having said that - Scolari really rates him and he's done well on his few games for Portugal.

Unread 15-12-2006, 04:20 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
He's 20, only as of a few weeks ago I think.

But yes, you would think he'd be a bit further down the line. The Sporting fans think he's great and still see him as a baby, but these days 20 isn't that young and I can't help feeling he's got a bit to go before all the hype is justified.

Having said that - Scolari really rates him and he's done well on his few games for Portugal.
As you said, if the price was reasonable it might be worth a punt.
Closed Thread