United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 12-06-2007, 07:39 AM
antonin jablonsky

Default There was something in the air that night, The stars were bright, Fernando

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footba...9520-19282422/

LIBERTY FOR FERNANDO
By Martin Lipton 12/06/2007
More Football
Have your say: Football forum
ATLETICO MADRID will spark a transfer scramble next week when confirming that striker Fernando Torres is for sale.

Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal have all looked at Torres, while Spurs, West Ham and Newcastle may launch a £15million bid.

Torres, 23, has scored 82 goals in 212 league appearance for Madrid, with a record of 14 in 42 caps for Spain.

Advertisement
Atletico's failure to earn a UEFA Cup slot means they are expecting to lose their star forward.

Unread 12-06-2007, 07:39 AM
puressence

dong>torres

Unread 12-06-2007, 07:40 AM
Whalefish

Thank £#%&! we've signed three players already (well, sort of) otherwise the transfer overload that's already taken place might've ruffled my feathers.

Unread 12-06-2007, 07:43 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
Thank £#%&! we've signed three players already (well, sort of) otherwise the transfer overload that's already taken place might've ruffled my feathers.
Wonder if we are actually interested? Seems we were last year? I think he's a talented player but doesn't score enough.

Unread 12-06-2007, 07:46 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

82 goals from 212 games. Sounds like a return you would expect from Alan Smith, eh pure?

Unread 12-06-2007, 07:48 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
82 goals from 212 games. Sounds like a return you would expect from Alan Smith, eh pure?
Nah, that's closer to 23 Goals in 212 games. It isn't a great record, particularly in Spain.

Unread 12-06-2007, 07:51 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Better off cloning half-a-season Saha.

Unread 12-06-2007, 07:51 AM
Whalefish

I don't rate him that highly tbh and for the money they want I'd rather have Huntelaar.

Also, Gill put the keybosh on a move last Summer because he was overpriced so unless the fee has dropped dramatically I'll be surprised if there's a move. I won't complain if Utd do move for him, but I'll have my doubts.

Unread 12-06-2007, 07:52 AM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
anyone can score in spain apparently

Unread 12-06-2007, 07:54 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
I don't rate him that highly tbh and for the money they want I'd rather have Huntelaar.

Also, Gill put the keybosh on a move last Summer because he was overpriced so unless the fee has dropped dramatically I'll be surprised if there's a move. I won't complain if Utd do move for him, but I'll have my doubts.
Looks like the price as dropped if that £15 million is anywhere near accurate. He's certainly better physically and has better experience than Huntelaar, who's a risk considering he's only played in Holland.

Unread 12-06-2007, 07:58 AM
The Watcher

Thumbs up

I think he’ll be available for under £20 million, which we could probably afford. His scoring record in the last 2 seasons hasn't been great, mainly because he's been going stale in an average side. Ronaldinho was in a similar position at PSG before moving to Barca.

He was very impressive for Spain at the 2006 World Cup. The guys a fantastic talent who would score a £#%&! load in our team. The football we play makes him a perfect fit for our system and would be the perfect stage for him to reach his full potential.

Unread 12-06-2007, 07:59 AM
Whalefish

I wouldn't say he's a risk at all. I'd say Torres is as much a gamble as Huntelaar.

Reyes came with the next big thing tag, big reputation etc, but never settled in the UK.

Unread 12-06-2007, 07:59 AM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
Looks like the price as dropped if that £15 million is anywhere near accurate. He's certainly better physically and has better experience than Huntelaar, who's a risk considering he's only played in Holland.
I thought Torres looked a bit of a monster in the World Cup when he was being played in, he's scored against Barca fairly regularly & has battered Puyol especially. I think he's the complete striker just waiting for the right team - as technical & powerful as the lad is he's also got his head screwed on which should help him settle at a new club / culture as well. Don't see too many better options out there if I had my pick.

Unread 12-06-2007, 08:01 AM
24hr Leavesey

Quote:
I wouldn't say he's a risk at all. I'd say Torres is as much a gamble as Huntelaar.

Reyes came with the next big thing tag, big reputation etc, but never settled in the UK.

But Reyes was a @#%&!. It only took a £#%&! off tackle by our Gary to bring that slimy @#%&! back down to earth.

Unread 12-06-2007, 08:02 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

If he's affordable I'd expect liverpool would try hard to get him, and he would be a dullard to chose them over United, West Ham or Derby County.

Unread 12-06-2007, 08:02 AM
Baron

Quote:
Thick gypsy mummies boy who cried off the moment he got tackled.

Unread 12-06-2007, 08:04 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:

I can't agree with that, Torres is an international who has played for 5 years in a top European leugue. He is also physically developed for the English game which Reyes wasn't. I have worries about his goalscoring ability though. Huntelaar has played a coupla years in a dodgy Dutrch league and even he doesn't think he's ready to go abroad if reports or true. I think he's a real gamble.

Unread 12-06-2007, 08:08 AM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
I can't agree with that, Torres is an international who has played for 5 years in a top European leugue. He is also physically developed for the English game which Reyes wasn't. I have worries about his goalscoring ability though. Huntelaar has played a coupla years in a dodgy Dutrch league and even he doesn't think he's ready to go abroad if reports or true. I think he's a real gamble.
he'd a least be able to speak English mind, which is one up on Torres. But if he doesn't think he'd cut it, why bother?

Torres is definitely physically & mentally the part - captaining a club the size of Athletico is no mean feat, all the media work etc & pressure he shoulders would stand him in good stead for us. Plus he seems like an intelligent guy when I've seen him interviewed - far cry from the mincer Arsenal signed.

Unread 12-06-2007, 08:12 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron_van_Marlon
he'd a least be able to speak English mind, which is one up on Torres. But if he doesn't think he'd cut it, why bother?

Torres is definitely physically & mentally the part - captaining a club the size of Athletico is no mean feat, all the media work etc & pressure he shoulders would stand him in good stead for us. Plus he seems like an intelligent guy when I've seen him interviewed - far cry from the mincer Arsenal signed.
I agree with all of that, as I say though Torres worries me due to his lack of goals and though he's a bigger risk imo, there's a huge upside for Huntelaar.

Unread 12-06-2007, 08:19 AM
Whalefish

I don't agree he's a powerful centre forward tbh. From what I've seen of him he's spent an awful lot rolling about. He dives like a bastard too. And as far as the 5 years in Spain go, I've only seen him have one good season.

I don't have that much of a problem with him, there'd be no complaints if he did arrive, but I think he's vastly overrated.
Closed Thread