Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 20-08-2016, 04:35 AM
rubbernecker

Default My lovely Pogs

To start the season like a train....in the night

Unread 20-08-2016, 08:39 AM
Billy Redface

As José said, we're moving along the process at a good rate.

Neither side we've faced were very good, but they were two fixtures we lost last season and presented different challenges. Last night came with some expectation and we handled it. Bournemouth came with an intensity and we handled it. The players are getting fitter and more cohesive with each game and now we go into the Hull game with a genuine expectation to win based on what we've actually seen rather than what our side looks like on paper.

Unread 20-08-2016, 09:41 AM
Coracao

Signs are positive, but still plenty to work on as a unit. A better side would've punished us last night. They looked threatening quite a few times on the break, although that will happen when we take risks, it probably happened a few too many times for Mourinho's liking. Will be interesting to see how he lines up against City. Think he might add another midfielder in, unless he drops Rooney deeper, contrary to what he said in pre-season.

Unread 20-08-2016, 10:29 AM
Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Signs are positive, but still plenty to work on as a unit. A better side would've punished us last night. They looked threatening quite a few times on the break, although that will happen when we take risks, it probably happened a few too many times for Mourinho's liking. Will be interesting to see how he lines up against City. Think he might add another midfielder in, unless he drops Rooney deeper, contrary to what he said in pre-season.

Unread 20-08-2016, 10:30 AM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
?

Unread 20-08-2016, 10:35 AM
saffers

Thought we looked quite comfortable despite taking risks.

This is not last season where we will anti football it up for large periods then brag about our defensive record and how amazing Smalling is.

Unread 20-08-2016, 10:38 AM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers

This is not last season where we will anti football it up for large periods then brag about our defensive record and how amazing Smalling is.
It was entertaining, which can't be said for 98% of LVG's reign, that is for sure.

Unread 20-08-2016, 10:43 AM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Indeed.

Understandably positive, but the reality is we've beaten two average teams. Bigger tests to come.

That City game will be the first real test. If we can win that, I'll start to believe it's 'on'.

We've got good opening fixtures, but so do Chelsea. They'll be right up there if they can start well and get a bit of confidence.

There's no clear favourite, but we're as well equipped as anyone.

Unread 20-08-2016, 10:48 AM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
Indeed.

Understandably positive, but the reality is we've beaten two average teams. Bigger tests to come.

That City game will be the first real test. If we can win that, I'll start to believe it's 'on'.

We've got good opening fixtures, but so do Chelsea. They'll be right up there if they can start well and get a bit of confidence.

There's no clear favourite, but we're as well equipped as anyone.
Not convinced on Chelsea at all, they just don't look like they have the depth. Their defence was shocking last season and it hasn't been improved upon, unless i've missed a signing (decent possibility).

Unread 20-08-2016, 10:56 AM
thatsfuctit

Quote:
It was entertaining, which can't be said for 98% of LVG's reign, that is for sure.
good to see a couple of players make reference to the atmosphere on twitter

DDG Lovely to see Old Trafford enjoying! Amazing atmosphere! Good win! Keep going @ManUtd 🔴 #MUFC

Herrera 3 more points and first victory at home , thanks for the affection , Old trafford always makes me feel special

Unread 20-08-2016, 12:10 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers

Can Smalling even get back in the side ?

Unread 20-08-2016, 12:15 PM
wiganste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Can Smalling even get back in the side ?
He needs to work hard for it because Blind and Bailly have a great understanding already

Unread 20-08-2016, 12:18 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
He needs to work hard for it because Blind and Bailly have a great understanding already
Bailly and Blind both have manly voices too. I doubt Jose can take Smalling's squeaks seriously.

Unread 20-08-2016, 12:19 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Not convinced on Chelsea at all, they just don't look like they have the depth. Their defence was shocking last season and it hasn't been improved upon, unless i've missed a signing (decent possibility).
I think that's what makes it interesting - every team has flaws or issues that we don't know how they're going to play out. In most seasons, you can identify teams who are further along a process and think that you're ahead of them/behind them. I don't think that's the case this year.

Five or six teams have good reason to think the league is there for the taking if they get their shit together.

Unread 20-08-2016, 12:55 PM
waynes ear's

Bailly is a £#%&!ing monster

Unread 20-08-2016, 01:05 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Signs are positive, but still plenty to work on as a unit. A better side would've punished us last night. They looked threatening quite a few times on the break, although that will happen when we take risks, it probably happened a few too many times for Mourinho's liking.
There's not many good sides in the premier league. These were the sides punishing us over the past few years. We're probably only 60% of what we can be at this stage as well.

I like teams looking threatening on the break, so long as we're doing most of the threatening overall. Adds to the dramatic tension and entertainment. Take it away and it would get dull pretty quickly.

In fact, as you said, it's because we take risks, so in order to take that away, it would not only make the game duller, but make United themselves duller. For that reason Mourinho would be a fool to lower our risk taking against equal or lesser teams. Judging by his comments last night the risk taking is by design due to our culture, so maybe it's something he's prepared to accept . Only makes good sense to reduce risk against teams better than us.

Quote:
Indeed.

The results aren't really the main thing in my reaction. It's the signs surrounding the results. In both games we had an assurance about us. Last week showed glimpses of the tempo of play I like to see from United. This week showed glimpses of pace, drive, energy and swagger. Coupled with Mourinho's comments afterwards about the club's culture with regards how the team plays, it indicate to me mourinho has the intent to produce a proper United team.

If we'd beaten two average teams playing dour football, I'd be far less happy and optimistic. In fact I'd probably be pissed off with the idea he'd build a negative team designed for results rather than trying to win with style.

Quote:
Five or six teams have good reason to think the league is there for the taking if they get their shit together.
More so, given who won it last season. It's taken away everyone's excuse for not winning it, and shown what's possible.

Unread 20-08-2016, 01:26 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
There's not many good sides in the premier league. These were the sides punishing us over the past few years. We're probably only 60% of what we can be at this stage as well.

I like teams looking threatening on the break, so long as we're doing most of the threatening overall. Adds to the dramatic tension and entertainment. Take it away and it would get dull pretty quickly.

In fact, as you said, it's because we take risks, so in order to take that away, it would not only make the game duller, but make United themselves duller. For that reason Mourinho would be a fool to lower our risk taking against equal or lesser teams. Judging by his comments last night the risk taking is by design due to our culture, so maybe it's something he's prepared to accept . Only makes good sense to reduce risk against teams better than us.

The results aren't really the main thing in my reaction. It's the signs surrounding the results. In both games we had an assurance about us. Last week showed glimpses of the tempo of play I like to see from United. This week showed glimpses of pace, drive, energy and swagger. Coupled with Mourinho's comments afterwards about the club's culture with regards how the team plays, it indicate to me mourinho has the intent to produce a proper United team.

If we'd beaten two average teams playing dour football, I'd be far less happy and optimistic. In fact I'd probably be pissed off with the idea he'd build a negative team designed for results rather than trying to win with style.

More so, given who won it last season. It's taken away everyone's excuse for not winning it, and shown what's possible.
Completely agree.

The intention and positivity surrounding our play has been more impressive than the actual play itself.

If that makes sense.

There's a swagger. Already.

The test will be if we can maintain that when the opposition improves.

Unread 20-08-2016, 01:47 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger

There might be not many great sides, but there are teams with far better attacking talent than Southampton (who will probably struggle to find the net after losing Pelle and Mane).

I don't expect or want us to play risk free football, but we need to improve defensively as a unit. We were caught out quite a few times on the transition of attack to defence last night, where there were big holes to exploit. I don't see this midfield as the future set-up, at least in terms of personnel as it may be too easy to exploit. Thankfully, they weren't good enough to capitalise. Better players will punish you for that. But we are two games in, and we are very much a work in progress. The attacking side of things is looking a lot better than previous seasons, and last night is one of the few games i've enjoyed over the past couple of seasons. It'll be interesting to see how Mourinho's develops this team in terms of formation and tactics, and how different (or not) that may be at the end of the season.

Unread 27-08-2016, 07:34 PM
saffers

Probably the most conclusive evidence yet that this team is progressing.

Could do big things for mentality and confidence when we face similar situations.

Unreal depth in the attacking positions.

Now the City game is nicely poised. Win that and we can become that damn train.

10th Sep: City (h)
17th Sep: Watford (a)
24th Sep: Leicester (h)

Unread 27-08-2016, 07:42 PM
waynes ear's

Closed Thread