United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 14-08-2016, 06:26 PM
saffers

Default To start a season like a train

It is there for us now. Southampton at home, Pogba's debut should be easy to get up for. Hull then who have no manager, no new signings. I know they beat Leicester but perhaps that's Leicester back to their level? Should beat Hull if we want to be champions.

It is after the international break that is interesting:

10th Sep: City (h)
17th Sep: Watford (a)
24th Sep: Leicester (h)

Mourinho's teams more than anyone have had histories of starting extremely fast but very few have done it in the last 5 years (bar Mourinho's chelsea in 2014/15).

Us heading into October with 6 wins on the spin is a very real proposition. Am I getting too giddy?

Also anyone else think we should put out complete shadow sides in the Europa league? At least until the knockouts in February.

Unread 14-08-2016, 06:35 PM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers
Am I getting too giddy?
not like thats never happened before is it pol?

Unread 14-08-2016, 06:40 PM
Bunker Buster

Thumbs up

Chooooo choooooo

(Slightly giddy, thought today in the first half we reverted to type a little)

Ready for it though....

Unread 14-08-2016, 06:43 PM
ScarFace

talksport mongs on presspass all backing us as champions

Unread 14-08-2016, 06:46 PM
red in cumbria

Watch us labour to a draw against Soton now

Unread 14-08-2016, 06:48 PM
saffers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Chooooo choooooo

(Slightly giddy, thought today in the first half we reverted to type a little)

Ready for it though....
If come September we're on maximum pts and 5 pts clear with big wazza having broken Sir bobbys record we will remember these words

Unread 14-08-2016, 06:50 PM
ScarFace

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Watch us labour to a draw against Soton now
3-1 Moufc.

Unread 14-08-2016, 06:51 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
If come September we're on maximum pts and 5 pts clear with big wazza having broken Sir bobbys record we will remember these words

https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/762589188705312768

Unread 14-08-2016, 06:57 PM
Buck

Thumbs down

international break three games into the season

Unread 14-08-2016, 07:02 PM
saffers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
international break three games into the season
It will be good to catch our breath. Keep in mind Ibra has retired from sweden... Fully rested to destroy his mortal enemy Pep on the 10th of Sept.

Unread 14-08-2016, 07:02 PM
Neo

Good start, and the new signings bedding in well, but I've always thought the crucial time of the season (in terms of the league) is the three months from December to February. All good picking up a win in the hazy August sunshine on a Sunday afternoon in Bournemouth, but a different prospect to grinding out three points at Stoke on a freezing cold January night.

Who knows what will happen this season? Bailly off to the ACoN, Zlatan struggling to hit a barn door, Rooney dropping snide to his pals in the press, Pogba injured, De Gea being tapped up by Madrid.

Reckon we will challenge for the title. Would love a Europa League trophy, FWiW.

Unread 14-08-2016, 07:09 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Also anyone else think we should put out complete shadow sides in the Europa league? At least until the knockouts in February.
Quite a few good players not likely to start if everyone is fit, so we could still put out decent sides there.

Unread 14-08-2016, 07:14 PM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarFace
3-1 Moufc.

Unread 14-08-2016, 07:36 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Good start, and the new signings bedding in well, but I've always thought the crucial time of the season (in terms of the league) is the three months from December to February. All good picking up a win in the hazy August sunshine on a Sunday afternoon in Bournemouth, but a different prospect to grinding out three points at Stoke on a freezing cold January night.

Who knows what will happen this season? Bailly off to the ACoN, Zlatan struggling to hit a barn door, Rooney dropping snide to his pals in the press, Pogba injured, De Gea being tapped up by Madrid.

Reckon we will challenge for the title. Would love a Europa League trophy, FWiW.
Indeed. Never could forget the start to the season in 2012. Just about as good as it gets: a young United side playing vibrant, irresistible football, culminating in battering Arsenal 8-2. By Autumn we were getting humbled by City at home and went on to lose the league.

One step at a time. Today wasn't a very good performance and for me that's not a bad thing. Good win to kick off with yet plenty of room for improvement. Doubt Mourinho will be giving the players too much praise. It's a winning start; now keep it moving.

edit - it was 2011

Unread 14-08-2016, 07:43 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Indeed. Never could forget the start to the season in 2012. Just about as good as it gets: a young United side playing vibrant, irresistible football, culminating in battering Arsenal 8-2. By Autumn we were getting humbled by City at home and went on to lose the league.

One step at a time. Today wasn't a very good performance and for me that's not a bad thing. Good win to kick off with yet plenty of room for improvement. Doubt Mourinho will be giving the players too much praise. It's a winning start; now keep it moving.

edit - it was 2011
It was the performance we needed. When you consider the sluggish preseason we've had, José still searching for his best 11 and the style of the opposition, today was always going to be a little rough. Thought we negotiated it very professionally. We looked strangely experienced under José. We were composed and managed the game well without ever really looking that fluid (which will come with time)

We played much better than I thought we would. Particularly defensively.

Can't look too far ahead though. Good fixtures on paper, but not many teams win their first three games of the seaosn

Southampton present a different challenge

Unread 14-08-2016, 07:49 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
It was the performance we needed. When you consider the sluggish preseason we've had, José still searching for his best 11 and the style of the opposition, today was always going to be a little rough. Thought we negotiated it very professionally. We looked strangely experienced under José. We were composed and managed the game well without ever really looking that fluid (which will come with time)

We played much better than I thought we would. Particularly defensively.
Meh, I thought it was a pretty poor game. But we got the break with the opener. Overall though results matter right now. I like to think Fellaini-Herrera isn't the midfield for the long-term, and we'll get an injection of energy through Pogba, Mhki, Lingard etc.

We're still a side in transition. Let's try to win the league for now, but Mourinho and the club will obviously be looking at the post Rooney/Zlat/Carrick set-up and how we move forward. I wouldn't mind one or two more additions before the end of the month tbh.

Valencia and Bailly positives, for sure. As a team plenty of work ahead.

Unread 14-08-2016, 07:53 PM
ZiggyStardust

After the shambolic away performances of the last 2 seasons it was nice to see a composed and professional performance away from home were we never looked in danger or have to over strain ourselves to get the win
First half was shit but 2nd half was pretty good

When some more of the top boys come in its going to start looking really good

Will be interesting to see how we play in our first home match
I think we'll start with a really high tempo and look to overwhelm them

Unread 14-08-2016, 07:54 PM
Vedder

Valencia has been great under Jose. Can't knock the lad tbh

Unread 14-08-2016, 07:55 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Meh, I thought it was a pretty poor game. But we got the break with the opener. Overall though results matter right now. I like to think Fellaini-Herrera isn't the midfield for the long-term, and we'll get an injection of energy through Pogba, Mhki, Lingard etc.

We're still a side in transition. Let's try to win the league, but Mourinho and the club obviously must be looking at the post Rooney/Zlat/Carrick set-up and how we move forward. I wouldn't mind one or two more additions before the end of the month tbh.

Valencia and Bailly positives, for sure. As a team plenty of work ahead.

I agree, but I'm looking at it in terms of our recent shortcomings and attempting to overcome them.

Bournemouth presented things we generally struggled with last seaosn. Pressing, aerial threat. So many times in the last few years we've lost control of games we were dominating, or failed to up it when we needed to (not always, ofcourse. I'm generalising) but we avoided all of that today.

José referenced that he knew what was coming from Bournemouth. He was right. We weathered it and stepped it up when the gaps started to appear. We improved after half time ( a rare occurrence) and didn't panic when Bournemouth scored (something else we've been guilty of)

Our game management was good. It hasn't been recently.

And we had the game won after an hour. How many times have we been able to say that in the last couple of years.

Not getting carried away, but little flashes on improving long-standing problems imo. Doesn't mean it was a great game, mind you.

Unread 14-08-2016, 08:00 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
I agree, but I'm looking at it in terms of our recent shortcomings and attempting to overcome them.

Bournemouth presented things we generally struggled with last seaosn. Pressing, aerial threat. So many times in the last few years we've lost control of games we were dominating, or failed to up it when we needed to (not always, ofcourse. I'm generalising) but we avoided all of that today.

José referenced that he knew what was coming from Bournemouth. He was right. We weathered it and stepped it up when the gaps started to appear. We improved after half time ( a rare occurrence) and didn't panic when Bournemouth scored (something else we've been guilty of)

Our game management was good. It hasn't been recently.

And we had the game won after an hour. How many times have we been able to say that in the last couple of years.

Not getting carried away, but little flashes on improving long-standing problems imo. Doesn't mean it was a great game, mind you.
Very true. It looked like being a long tough afternoon but that ruthlessness and getting the game done and dusted was a nice change. Mind you, both the openers were quite strange goals. That resilience and focus is something we need to develop, though.

I expect United to go about the game in the right way and play positively, but opening few weeks are about putting points on the board. Especially under a new manager with new players. But Moyes put early points on the board, so the players need not get carried away.
Closed Thread