United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 10-04-2010, 12:45 PM
Gorilla Monsoon

Default The current crop of youngsters

Of the ones not currently featuring in the first team squad, how many do you think will feature next season?

Tosic - (In a bit of a sub topic, does anyone know how he's getting on at Cologne?)

Welbeck
Diouf
Cleverley
Obertan
De Laet

This isn't a full list of all our youngsters obviously, just a few of the players who id be interested to know what the general opinion was on them.

Unread 10-04-2010, 12:50 PM
Coracao

Default Re: The current crop of youngsters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Monsoon
Of the ones not currently featuring in the first team squad, how many do you think will feature next season?

Tosic - (In a bit of a sub topic, does anyone know how he's getting on at Cologne?)

Welbeck
Diouf
Cleverley
Obertan
De Laet

This isn't a full list of all our youngsters obviously, just a few of the players who id be interested to know what the general opinion was on them.
I think Cleverley would certainly have been involved next season, typical of him to pick up a bad injury.

I think Welbeck will be loaned out again.

De Laet, don't see a future for him at United.

Not sure what will happen with Diouf & Obertan.

Tosic will probably be sold, United obviously don't seem to rate him.

Unread 10-04-2010, 12:59 PM
Sparky***

Quote:

Welbeck
Diouf
Cleverley
Obertan
De Laet

I'll reserve judgement on cleverly as he hasn't even been given a chance at united.

de laet, Welbeck, diouf, obertan....all not good enough and will never be regular starters for united, and probably end up at smaller clubs.

Unread 10-04-2010, 01:04 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
I'll reserve judgement on cleverly as he hasn't even been given a chance at united.

de laet, Welbeck, diouf, obertan....all not good enough and will never be regular starters for united, and probably end up at smaller clubs.
based on that, i'll back them all to make the first team then

Unread 10-04-2010, 01:05 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
based on that, i'll back them all to make the first team then
do what you like. We'll see.

Unread 10-04-2010, 01:06 PM
dunk

I'd say that none of those players has been given a chance at United tbh, so why reserve judgement on just 1 of them?

Unread 10-04-2010, 01:07 PM
Gorilla Monsoon

The two i'm probably most intrigued about are Obertan and Tosic. Obertan, made a couple of appearances and really impressed, but then completely dropped out of recognition, whilst continuing to impress in the reserves.

Tosic seemed to continually impress in the reserves but never get a chance in the first team squad, and from what i hear is banging in a few for Cologne in the Bundesliga.

Unread 10-04-2010, 01:11 PM
Liu Jian

Didn't Tosic get sent off last week?

He'll probably be sold if he has a decent World Cup.

Unread 10-04-2010, 01:12 PM
Coracao

Quote:
The two i'm probably most intrigued about are Obertan and Tosic. Obertan, made a couple of appearances and really impressed, but then completely dropped out of recognition, whilst continuing to impress in the reserves.

Tosic seemed to continually impress in the reserves but never get a chance in the first team squad, and from what i hear is banging in a few for Cologne in the Bundesliga.
I think he has been sent there to put him in the shop window and get him to the World Cup. I can't really remember a signing like it before, where has been pretty much completely shunned.

Obertan seems to be nervous every time he comes on.

Unread 10-04-2010, 01:12 PM
That Boy Ronaldo!

His two goals are here: http://vodpod.com/watch/3317909-hannover-1-fc-cologne-4

First was a beauty, got sent off following game.

Unread 10-04-2010, 01:13 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
I'd say that none of those players has been given a chance at United tbh, so why reserve judgement on just 1 of them?
welbeck will never be good enough, neither will macheda.

Diouf is like some sort of bad joke.

Obertan won't make it at united, not good enough.

De laet is also not good enough.

Tosic for some reason was totally ignored most of the time despite looking half decent in the reserves. So he obviously isn't in the plans of the manager.

Unread 10-04-2010, 01:15 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
do what you like. We'll see.
thanks

you should reserve judgement on all of them

Unread 10-04-2010, 01:31 PM
dunk

Quote:
welbeck will never be good enough, neither will macheda.

Diouf is like some sort of bad joke.

Obertan won't make it at united, not good enough.

De laet is also not good enough.

Tosic for some reason was totally ignored most of the time despite looking half decent in the reserves. So he obviously isn't in the plans of the manager.
And this is based on?

Unread 10-04-2010, 01:32 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
And this is based on?
having seen them play football.

Unread 10-04-2010, 01:39 PM
thatsfuctit

what's the crack with Possebon - I know he had a bit of tough time after the shite boro challenge and returned from his loan - is he still a prospect?

Unread 10-04-2010, 01:41 PM
Tumescent Throb

must've got lucky seeing all them play in the one match you've ever £#%&!ing been to

Unread 10-04-2010, 01:46 PM
Firswood Red

Quote:

Unread 10-04-2010, 01:47 PM
thatsfuctit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
must've got lucky seeing all them play in the one match you've ever £#%&!ing been to
Bit sweeping isn't it?

The strikers are young - and will be working with Ole.

Obertan looks an intelligent player to me (insert your own head gag here) - when Nani was having a mare earlier in the season Obers looked the opposite to me - Intelligent, made the right runs, looked up, and the other players seemed to have a confidence in him to do the right thing that i think they lacked in Nani at the time.

The penny has obviously dropped with Nani now, and good for him, he's seems to have got the crowd behind him and he is contributing every game - that has obvious pushed Obers down the pecking order, but don't £#%&!ing write him off.

De Laet - we haven't seen much of him - reasonable back up? Steep learning curve for Rafael this week - the boy and his bro look so £#%&!ing exciting its untrue, but they are still young

Unread 10-04-2010, 01:50 PM
dunk

Saw the highlights of the midweek reserve game earlier, looks like Obertan has thickened up a bit to me. I imagine they are trying to build him up a little as they did with Ronaldo.

Patience is a swear word to some of the people that 'support' United these days.

Not sure want to make of Possebon tbh, I was a big fan pretty much up to the tackle from Pogatetz. Never looked the same since and the whole Braga episode seems to weigh against him. Can't see a future for him at OT now unless there is a major change of attitude from him.

Unread 10-04-2010, 01:57 PM
dunk

Quote:
Diouf 3 or 4 appearances
Obertan 10 maybe, tops.
De Laet 4 or 5
Welbeck 20-odd, most as a 17/18 year old.
Macheda 5 or 6
Tosic 3 sub appearances or something equally paltry.

Without wishing to doubt your talent spotting abilities, and given that most of the appearances above will have been as Subs, in weakened teams or in emergency situations, I am going to have to respectfully disagree with your kneejerk and frankly ludicrous assessment.

You may turn out to be correct, but that won't be because you have made an accurate prediction based on what you have seen but more because it is ridiculously difficult to make it at United, in no small part due to the attitudes of the 'fans' these days.

Personally, I have doubts about De Laet and Tosic looks to be facing an uphill battle but the rest have barely had an opportunity, with the exception of Welbeck, who is going to be an excellent player once he stops growing and begins to fill out.

There is plenty of time for all of them yet.
Closed Thread