United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 12-06-2007, 09:44 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron_van_Marlon
didn't a journo from The Star get a couple of United scoops though? Seem to remember the odd report in the mag about journo's & where the stories first appeared... mind you... you throw enough shit, some of it has to stick.
I trust pub toilet graffiti ahead of The Star.

Unread 12-06-2007, 09:45 AM
Whalefish

The Star originally broke the Ji Sung Park and Pole stories.

They've also linked us to countless others that never happened.

Unread 12-06-2007, 09:46 AM
armchair

can't wait for all the "why's our £25 million striker stuck out on the wing" threads next season.

He's supposed to go to the scouse though.

Unread 12-06-2007, 09:46 AM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
It's easy to forget that, for a player of his talent, he isn't actually playing for a Barcelona or a Real Madrid; not even close. Atletico are a poorly run club and have not even qualified for Europe during the time Torres has played there. It's the equivalent of playing for Tottenham in the Gross/Graham/Hoddle era. Averaging 15 league goals in a team like that is hardly a negative thing.
He'll never play for Real Madrid & he's battered Barca when playing against them. He's also a product of the youth, club captain & a talisman. He's also Spain's first choice alongside Villa I believe - was in the World Cup. So as you say, given the background he's done well enough & shown some very promising glimpses. Some players play that much better with other quality players around them, I'd imagine Torres would benefit from United's other attackers.

Unread 12-06-2007, 09:51 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair

He's supposed to go to the scouse though.
A common theme here, though I've seen no evidence to back it up? As far as I've seen we are the club who's actually been in contact with Atletico over the last 18 months rather than the dippers. I sense this rumour is just because Benitez is Spanish.

Unread 12-06-2007, 09:52 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
A common theme here, though I've seen no evidence to back it up? As far as I've seen we are the club who's actually been in contact with Atletico over the last 18 months rather than the dippers. I sense this is just because Benitez is Spanish.
Have we though? I'm not doubting you, I'm just unaware of it.
And I'll say it again, if he chooses the @#%&!s over United he's a dullard.

Also read the other day that Huntaleer was possibly going to Juve? £#%&! him and £#%&! Juve.

Unread 12-06-2007, 09:53 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
There was a hell of a lot of smoke last summer.

Unread 12-06-2007, 09:55 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
I think it is in that leugue but we ca differ on this. What I like is that allhis other attributes for me make him a perfect fit for our current team and on balance I'd go with that and hope he could score a few more. Tbh, with all the goals we get from wide and midfield we don't desperately need 35 goals from him, quality centre forward play and 20 would be great.
Do you not think it's a bit simplistic to just focus on his goalscoring record (which isn't awful anyway) and not consider the conditions he's performing in? Like I say, he's playing for a poorly run club, an average side that plays negative football, plus he's still a young player.

I wouldn't judge the likes of Berbatov and Anelka (both older than Torres) based purely on their goalscoring records (both scored less than Torres in the league last season) with Bolton and Spurs (both better sides than Atletico) because they aren't playing for top teams.

Quote:
He'll never play for Real Madrid & he's battered Barca when playing against them. He's also a product of the youth, club captain & a talisman. He's also Spain's first choice alongside Villa I believe - was in the World Cup. So as you say, given the background he's done well enough & shown some very promising glimpses. Some players play that much better with other quality players around them, I'd imagine Torres would benefit from United's other attackers.
Agreed. If we could bring the best out of him, he would be perfect for our side.

Unread 12-06-2007, 09:57 AM
armchair

Quote:
A common theme here, though I've seen no evidence to back it up? As far as I've seen we are the club who's actually been in contact with Atletico over the last 18 months rather than the dippers. I sense this rumour is just because Benitez is Spanish.
well there's the captains armband thing - that convinced most of the spanish journos.

Something odd is happening at the scouse re transfer funding though. Wouldn't be surprised if Benitez suddenly left.

Unread 12-06-2007, 09:57 AM
Baron

Quote:
There was a hell of a lot of smoke last summer.
I saw the Balague interview with him on Revista on SS1 earlier this year. He said himself he had an offer from United but wanted to stay at Athletico to try for European football at least one more season, he's young, he loves them, blah blah blah. They've been shit again, he'll be available I reckon. Unless Barca decide to flog Eto'o & replace him with Torres I genuinely expect him to be in England or at 'worst' Milan.

Unread 12-06-2007, 10:00 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
I saw the Balague interview with him on Revista on SS1 earlier this year. .
Oh dear, Guillem Balague, the Spanish version of The Star for reliable rumours.

Unread 12-06-2007, 10:02 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
well there's the captains armband thing - that convinced most of the spanish journos.

Something odd is happening at the scouse re transfer funding though. Wouldn't be surprised if Benitez suddenly left.
A lot being inferred from very little there with the armband. The dippers finances are a bit up in the air as far as anyone can tell.

Unread 12-06-2007, 10:02 AM
Baron

Quote:
Oh dear, Guillem Balague, the Spanish version of The Star for reliable rumours.
Yeah, but he didn't have his hand up Fernando's arse making him say those words so I suspect it was a more reliable reflection of Torres's future than any newspaper report.

Unread 12-06-2007, 10:03 AM
S/Side.Red

It's true that Torres said that, but Balague's interviews on Revista are comical. All he wants to do is talk about when the player may or may not want to leave his current club, and if he does want to leave where he'd like to go. Very little football talk actually goes on; you can see why he has the reputation as the rumour guy on Sky and TalkSport.

Unread 12-06-2007, 10:10 AM
The Watcher

Quote:
Yep. Was in backbeat at the start of the season. We couldn't match the £27 million valuation, but by all accounts, Torres was happy to move to United. He'll cost £10 million less then that figure this year, so there's a good chance we could get him.

Unread 12-06-2007, 10:14 AM
Stickman

Quote:
A lot being inferred from very little there with the armband. The dippers finances are a bit up in the air as far as anyone can tell.
Whats the armband story?

Unread 12-06-2007, 10:15 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
Whats the armband story?
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2...180812,00.html

Unread 12-06-2007, 10:15 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
It's true that Torres said that, but Balague's interviews on Revista are comical. All he wants to do is talk about when the player may or may not want to leave his current club, and if he does want to leave where he'd like to go. Very little football talk actually goes on; you can see why he has the reputation as the rumour guy on Sky and TalkSport.
Balague gets his inspiration from Tensai.

Unread 12-06-2007, 10:21 AM
Baron

Quote:
Balague gets his inspiration from Tensai.
but in this instance he asked Torres if United was an option & he answered of his own will that we made an offer but he wanted to stay at Athletico for now (last Summer or so), he was flattered though & followed a lot of English football. Not like he was rail roaded into it.

Unread 12-06-2007, 10:23 AM
Darth Vidic

What type of striker will fit us best with the way we play now?

Someone with enough speed to keep up with Rooney & Ronaldo, great movement and strength. Torres can be that for us, people keep banging on about goals but compare his record in his league for his club to Berbatov's.

Plus he is young. Players are allowed to improve you know, and if he came here you'd think he would, because of the people around him.

And most importantly with him we'd be able to stick to the same style, and still create lots of chances to score, for the whole team, not just one player, or else lets just get Ruud back

For me the only doubt is how he would settle in here. Does he speak any English?
Closed Thread