United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 10-05-2016, 12:41 AM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
And I think the crux of where we disagree is that I think not attempting to gain possession yourself while impeding an opponent from trying to is the same type of 'unfair impediment' that goalies are protected from.
I guess I just think the defender does have what constitutes possession - since the other team, let's not forget, has played the ball to the space he occupies, rather than to an attacking player.

You're right tho that oftentimes the defender does use his arms/etc to hold off the attacker, in which case it's not a new law that's needed, but proper enforcement of the existing law.

Play a better pass and it solves the problem.

Unread 10-05-2016, 07:18 AM
redhegemony

Am surprised that Rolling sub for head injury assessment isn't in.

Unread 10-05-2016, 08:52 AM
Denis Irwell

Although it wasn't a rule change as such in France 98, they gave a directive to refs to punish tackles from behind, to let the football flow. Cue: Simeone clattering Beckham from behind and the ref punishes Becks for his pathetic waft of the leg in Simeone's general direction. As cynical a player as he is a manager. Wouldn't want that £#%&!er anywhere near here. Anyway, point is, there'll be the usual confusion and £#%&! ups as there always are when they have these brain farts.

Unread 10-05-2016, 08:58 AM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatGoth
"IFAB may in the future debate changes to hand-ball laws, including on the line (Suarez v Ghana) which could be punished with a penalty goal."

Don't they have penalty tries in rugby?

Can't remember the incident mentioned but in this scenario:
You're 1-0 up in a cup match. 1 min left, the opposition hit a shot, your keeper is beaten, ball is going in but you're on the line and you 'save' it.
You get red carded, they get the pen but your keeper saves it. You've got only seconds left to hang on with 10 men. The whistle goes, you've won & are through to the next round.

Or, you handle the ball, you get red carded, the ref awards a penalty goal & now the score is 1-1 & your team is down to 10 men for extra time/it goes to a replay.

Unread 10-05-2016, 09:57 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/side.red
also maybe subs before half time shouldn't count.
gtfo

Unread 10-05-2016, 09:57 AM
Rorschach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
Defenders doing 'just enough' when jumping for headers and forcing the striker to miss. So he made no contact with the ball and the contact with the player was enough to stop him scoring.....right, so that would be a penalty then.

It is a contact sport and you are allowed to challenge for the ball. If your challenge is beaten, then you just hope that it was sufficient to distract your opponent from his shot/pass/header.

I £#%&!ing hate how it has become accepted that "well, Jeff, there was contact [before some @#%&! throws himself to the floor], so he was entitled to go down."

Yes, I play in defence these days. What of it?

Unread 10-05-2016, 10:29 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
Although it wasn't a rule change as such in France 98, they gave a directive to refs to punish tackles from behind, to let the football flow. Cue: Simeone clattering Beckham from behind and the ref punishes Becks for his pathetic waft of the leg in Simeone's general direction. As cynical a player as he is a manager. Wouldn't want that £#%&!er anywhere near here. Anyway, point is, there'll be the usual confusion and £#%&! ups as there always are when they have these brain farts.
Pretty sure it was Euro 96 and it saw a few ridiculously soft reds as a result.

Unread 10-05-2016, 10:50 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
Pretty sure it was Euro 96 and it saw a few ridiculously soft reds as a result.
You're probably right but it's effect was supposed to be present a couple of years on. It wasn't, and every time they do this shit it causes more problems than it solves. Justifies a few jobsworths and their unnecessary positions/existence in the game. Or not.
Closed Thread