United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 09-05-2016, 04:42 PM
andyroo

Default Rule changes

Just seen this

Quote:
"yellow card not red if player commits Denial of an Obvious GoalScoring Opportunity inside area if foul was attempt to play ball"

"Refs can now show red cards to players before kick-off for, say, fighting in the tunnel. (Can be replaced, so teams start with 11)."

"IFAB may in the future debate changes to hand-ball laws, including on the line (Suarez v Ghana) which could be punished with a penalty goal."

"Messi, Ronaldo etc who feint when taking penalty now punished with yellow card & indirect freekick. No retake. Stuttering runs still allowed"

"Injured player can get treatment on pitch for up to 20 seconds & stay on, i.e. not have to go to touchline & await ref's nod to come back on"

"Player accidentally losing boot allowed to "continue playing until play next stops". Under-shorts must be same colour as shorts - or the hem"

"IFAB: "At kick-off, the ball can now be kicked in any direction, including backwards so no team-mates allowed to stand in opponents' half"

"IFAB on throw-ins: "The ball must be thrown with BOTH hands and not thrown with one hand and 'guided' with the other'."

"Water breaks permissible in "very hot/humid conditions". Law changes applicable worldwide from June 1 (and for England's two May friendlies)"
All seems fairly common sense to be quite honest. I'm clearly missing something.

Unread 09-05-2016, 04:43 PM
believe

That's either a wum or the start of FIFA 2017.

Unread 09-05-2016, 04:44 PM
Grimson

I like the first one. It always seemed double-jeopardy to send off a player for preventing an obvious goalscoring opportunity, and then restore that goalscoring opportunity with a penalty kick.

Still makes sense to send them off if foul is outside the box, imo.

Unread 09-05-2016, 04:45 PM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Players should be booked if they give away a foul and pick up the ball.

Slows the game down, you see it happen multiple times every game.

Unread 09-05-2016, 04:47 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
I like the first one. It always seemed double-jeopardy to send off a player for preventing an obvious goalscoring opportunity, and then restore that goalscoring opportunity with a penalty kick.

Still makes sense to send them off if foul is outside the box, imo.
Yep, good change.

Never understand how one or even two defenders covering when the goalkeeper takes a forward down doesn't count as a clear goal-scoring opportunity, either. At least this will stop me getting annoyed by that.

Would like to see players stop being allowed to obstruct the ball going off the pitch for several yards, too.

Unread 09-05-2016, 04:49 PM
Drexl

Players who deliberately handle the ball after being "fouled" should be carded.

Absolutely seething here, me.

Unread 09-05-2016, 04:51 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Would like to see players stop being allowed to obstruct the ball going off the pitch for several yards, too.
I can't get behind that one. If the defending player gets to the ball/space first, he's entitled to that space & imo shouldn't be required to play the ball, especially when 99% of the time the situation you're describing is caused by an over-hit pass.

Unread 09-05-2016, 04:54 PM
dragflick

Quote:
I can't get behind that one. If the defending player gets to the ball/space first, he's entitled to that space & imo shouldn't be required to play the ball, especially when 99% of the time the situation you're describing is caused by an over-hit pass.
You see it a lot where it's clear obstruction though and nothing gets given.

Unread 09-05-2016, 04:54 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
I'm not talking about slowing down and staying in your space, more deliberately moving across the opponent to stop him getting to the ball. To cliche it up, anywhere else on the pitch - including in the penalty area - it's obstruction and you give away a foul.

Unread 09-05-2016, 05:00 PM
andyroo

Quote:
I'm not talking about slowing down and staying in your space, more deliberately moving across the opponent to stop him getting to the ball. To cliche it up, anywhere else on the pitch - including in the penalty area - it's obstruction and you give away a foul.
As Grimmers says though, the situation's arisen by bad play from the forward's team (ie spraying the pass) so the defender as he's closest to the ball has every right to claim the territory, the onus is on the forward whose team-mate (probably Herrera) £#%&!ed up the pass to get around him.

Unread 09-05-2016, 05:01 PM
utd99

Quote:
Conversely, you shouldn't be allowed to play the man either, which is the second factor in that particular situation.

Basically, you shouldn't be able to do something in one area of the field that you wouldn't be allowed to in another. I know the penalties are different, but the infringements aren't; bear hugs and shirt pulling in the area being the obvious ones. Also referees should be directed to absolutely disregard the timing of a foul when evaluating it. All this 'keeping his cards in his pocket' %@#$&!s is just nonsense and only leads to more inconsistency, not less.

Unread 09-05-2016, 05:03 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick
You see it a lot where it's clear obstruction though and nothing gets given.
Well, because it's not obstruction if he's within playing distance of the ball.

Quote:
But you're allowed to do that. That's your benefit of getting to the space first - if you don't, you'll clatter into him and it'll be a foul.

Unread 09-05-2016, 05:06 PM
Rorschach

Thumbs up

Quote:

But you're allowed to do that. That's your benefit of getting to the space first - if you don't, you'll clatter into him and it'll be a foul.
Spot on.

One of the biggest bug-bear I have in the modern game though, is when the defender is chasing back after a ball down hit the channel, ahead of the attacker, he doesn't bother to knock it into touch or find a team mate (you know, football), he instead slows down just enough to force minimal contact from the attacker before throwing themselves to the floor as if pole-axed.

Stupid lazy bastard refs buy it every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Boy Ronaldo!
Players should be booked if they give away a foul and pick up the ball.

Slows the game down, you see it happen multiple times every game.
If we're being all sensible about rule changes for once, as seems to be the case here, then I quite like this.

Unread 09-05-2016, 05:08 PM
forzagarza

Interesting about hems. It's time shorts were knee length like they used to be so not to get the crowds in a frenzy

Unread 09-05-2016, 05:08 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:

For me, if you're demonstrating absolutely no intention to play the ball and instead are just moving across the opponent, it can't not be obstruction. Again, I'm not talking about all cases of using your body to shield the ball, but certain instances for me qualify as foul play.

Unread 09-05-2016, 05:15 PM
utd99

Quote:
For me, if you're demonstrating absolutely no intention to play the ball and instead are just moving across the opponent, it can't not be obstruction. Again, I'm not talking about all cases of using your body to shield the ball, but certain instances for me qualify as foul play.
Right and if it happens on the halfway line - where a player deliberately steps across another to impede his access to the ball, while making no attempt to play the ball himself - it's a free kick every day of the week.

Unread 09-05-2016, 05:15 PM
dragflick

Quote:

There's a lot of instances where they're not in playing distance of the ball though, and nothing gets given.

Unread 09-05-2016, 05:18 PM
Fat Al

Nothing about finally cracking down on players effing & blinding at the ref?

Should be a simple case of - you gob off at the ref - red card. Goodbye, £#%&! off & shut your face.

Oh, and I like the ability to send players off before the game & allowing them to be replaced.
Can we tell every ref next season that Fellaini has called them a @#%&! and a chicken £#%&!ing #@&%!.

Unread 09-05-2016, 05:21 PM
S/Side.Red

I have some boring issues with subs, too.

Subbing the 'keeper shouldn't count as one of your three. It's almost always enforced. Also maybe subs before half time shouldn't count.

And it should be like Italy where you can have the whole rest of your squad on the bench, rather than limited to seven. Much more chances for young players to be available when the opportunity to use them is presented.

Unread 09-05-2016, 05:21 PM
Grimson

Quote:
There is no requirement to play the ball in the laws of the game, nor should there be. But I agree that sometimes there ARE fouls in these situations, and refs turn a blind eye because it's just easier to give the goal kick.

For the 'if it happened anywhere else on the pitch' argument - it doesn't happen anywhere else on the pitch. The only thing stopping other players getting involved is the ball going across the line. Imagine trying this at midfield.
Closed Thread