United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 08-08-2023, 11:17 AM
Mr_Ed

If some @#%&! goes down they should just okay on around them unless it’s a head injury or a break. That’ll stop the histrionics.

Unread 08-08-2023, 11:23 AM
CyrilSkeer

If it stops @#%&!s like Newcastle, Villa, Everton etc etc. rocking up at OT and wasting time from the first minute then great and the 10 minutes will probably settle to 5 as the season progresses.

Easier answer to much of it is giving the keeper one warning in the first 5 minutes then book them the next for faffing about with the goal kick and not waiting until the 88th minute when it makes not a jot of difference. Similar rules for taking free kicks, assign the kicker, if you change it as Newcastle do, book them.

Unread 08-08-2023, 11:27 AM
armchair

Quote:
Soccer: Per the Soccerbythenumbers.com website 2011 study, between 62 and 65 minutes of ball-in-play action is seen on average in the major European pro leagues per game. For the table below i’ll use 64 minutes as an average.
Looks like we've lost about 10 minutes of ball in play time in the last decade.

Unread 08-08-2023, 11:57 AM
Travis Bickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
can't really add on time, if the ball is in play. if you are not trying to play the ball, though, it should be a free kick for obstruction.
Which was why I mentioned it as a grey area. The obstruction suggestion is a decent idea.

Anyway, goalkeepers are the worst culprits for time-wasting imo. Taking an age over a goal kick, delaying a penalty with their antics, and falling to the floor for a breather when they catch a cross or a shot ( didn't apply to DdG). Remember the 6-seconds rule years ago - what happened to that?

Unread 08-08-2023, 12:00 PM
Whip Hubley

Right idea and motivation, wrong execution.

Time wasting is shit and needs stamping out, but adding 10-15 minutes on is not the way to go about it.

As someone above said be more pro active with the cautions if teams are clearly taking the piss.

Unread 08-08-2023, 12:37 PM
Patty_b

The problem with late kickoffs would be a bigger problem with clock stoppages wouldn't it? Even the lengthy added time isn't a true reflection of the time that is actually lost throughout the game. So if the clock was being stopped the game would probably finish later that it would with the extended injury time.

The current way is probably the best way to put teams off wasting too much time throughout the game. If teams aren't wasting loads of time then you'll get a sensible amount of extra time and the game will finish around about on time, rather than every game running about 20 minutes over if the clock was being stopped.

Unread 08-08-2023, 12:58 PM
pedr0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley

Time wasting is shit and needs stamping out, but adding 10-15 minutes on is not the way to go about it.

As someone above said be more pro active with the cautions if teams are clearly taking the piss.
it's the only way to go about it tbh

I'm sure there are plenty of teams who would be happy to chip 10 minutes off the end of a match at the expense of a few yellow cards.

the only way to stop it is for players to realise there is no benefit from time wasting

Unread 08-08-2023, 01:00 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley

Players immediately getting a yellow card now for even a slight little kick away of the ball, apparently.

Unread 08-08-2023, 02:07 PM
Sparky***

Like most new rules they’ll go overboard with it at first and then they’ll settle down.

This booking players for cynical fouls that they’re clamping down on won’t last long either.

Unread 08-08-2023, 02:15 PM
dunk

Is it Europe wide or just England?

Atletico Madrid we’re the worst I’ve ever seen

Unread 08-08-2023, 02:59 PM
BigJim

Have to say, I find these bullshit complaints about measures that were only introduced to counteract these cheating @#%&!s in the first place quite amusing tbh.

Here's an idea: You want 4 minutes of injury time? How about you stop Emi Martinez from laying on the ball for 3 minutes, looking about, every time Villa are a goal up? Or Ramsdale pretending to be injured on the 30 minute mark so Arteta can have an extra tactics session every £#%&!ing game?

Not every goal needs a 10 minute Mardi-Gras, and if you want to see a game out how about doing it the old fashioned way, by keeping the ball or running it into corners and challenging the opposition to get it back - you know, actually £#%&!ing playing - rather than just sitting down, pretending to be hurt and refusing to play or moonwalking off the pitch when subbed.

They make me laugh "ooooh we're gonna be exhausted..." why? You're only £#%&!ing standing about having a drink while these shenanigans are going on anyway. Everyone with a pair of eyes could see the way the game's trending, and it's not good.

Unread 08-08-2023, 03:10 PM
goldfinger II

Thumbs up

"You can only guess what’s going to happen if you play a lower team who keep time-wasting all the time. I’m thinking if we play Sevilla on Wednesday and have 15 to 20 extra minutes, and then play on Saturday again (at home to Newcastle), it’s like two times extra time. "

That's Eddie Howe's teamtalk sorted, anyway. Good luck with that, Eddie.

Unread 08-08-2023, 03:14 PM
wiganste

Football really needs to adopt the rugby way by continuing the game when someone lays injured on the pitch (unless it's a serious one)

I think that will stop all the rolling around when there's £#%&! all wrong with them

Unread 08-08-2023, 03:22 PM
goldfinger II

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
Football really needs to adopt the rugby way by continuing the game when someone lays injured on the pitch (unless it's a serious one)

I think that will stop all the rolling around when there's £#%&! all wrong with them
I reckon it's boxing we should look to. If you're not back on your feet in 10 seconds, you're out. Or maybe horse racing, just erect a white tent around them - send someone in with a gun if they're still crying and guerning after 10 minutes or so.

Unread 08-08-2023, 03:30 PM
wiganste

I'm on board with that. Football in America will really take off if you can shoot folk

Unread 08-08-2023, 03:40 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfinger II
I reckon it's boxing we should look to. If you're not back on your feet in 10 seconds, you're out. Or maybe horse racing, just erect a white tent around them - send someone in with a gun if they're still crying and guerning after 10 minutes or so.
joneseh.

Unread 08-08-2023, 03:52 PM
Sparky***

Aside from the obvious time wasting tactics of goalkeepers etc, the one that boils my piss the most is when someone just lays down on the pitch, no head injury, and the ref stops the game. Why? What are you stopping the game for?

Unread 08-08-2023, 03:56 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste

It does happen sometimes until the referee bottles it and blows up.

Unread 08-08-2023, 04:00 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Aside from the obvious time wasting tactics of goalkeepers etc, the one that boils my piss the most is when someone just lays down on the pitch, no head injury, and the ref stops the game. Why? What are you stopping the game for?
The few times I’ve seen them not stop the game, I’ve seen the player get up sheepishly and get back on with it. Been a couple of times where it’s been an attacker, the ball has been won back by their team and they’ve miraculously healed quickly enough to sprint and rejoin the attack.

Unread 08-08-2023, 04:10 PM
wiganste

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
It does happen sometimes until the referee bottles it and blows up.
I mean the physio goes on the pitch and treats them as the game is going on.

Even stopping the game when the ball @#%&!s them in the face infuriates me
Closed Thread