United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 08-08-2023, 09:08 AM
Dr Stranger

Default Added Added Time

What do we make of this increase of added time?

Varane and now De Bruyne having a moan about it

I’m all for it. Added time is laughably low when you factor in all the histrionics and bullshit from the players. They really don’t have a leg to stand on when they’re expected to play the time they’ve wasted themselves.

As long as the time played is consistent with how the game has gone, I’m all for it.

Unread 08-08-2023, 09:16 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
I’m thinking if we play Sevilla on Wednesday and have 15 to 20 extra minutes, and then play on Saturday again (at home to Newcastle), it’s like two times extra time.
I'd feel more sorry for Seville than this rat and his doped up squad. Out of all the squads in major European Leagues that can cope with the added minutes, it's the one he's in.

I'm indifferent on it tbh. I prefer it to a clock being stopped each time the ball is out of play, and I'd bet De Bruyne would also be complaining if a team like Seville get a result against them after wasting 20 minutes in the game, but only 3 minutes was added on.

Unread 08-08-2023, 09:19 AM
Stickman

It’s shit. Need to go the way of rugby with the time keeping.
Logical clock stopping surely the way.

- player goes down, stop the clock
- VAR intervention, stop the clock
- subs, stop the clock
- much more pro active reds and yellows for time wasting (don’t know why they don’t just do this to stamp it out, same for making diving a red)

90 plus 13 etc

just daft.

Unread 08-08-2023, 09:26 AM
NedKelly

It was the best part of the World Cup last year. Within a few games all the teams had stopped timewasting because they knew it was pointless.

Unread 08-08-2023, 09:35 AM
armchair

It used to trigger me how in 15 minutes extra time there would often be 3 minutes of added-on time but almost never 9 minutes of added-on time for a 45-minute half.

Enjoyed the world cup added-on time.

Unread 08-08-2023, 09:41 AM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
It used to trigger me how in 15 minutes extra time there would often be 3 minutes of added-on time but almost never 9 minutes of added-on time for a 45-minute half.

Enjoyed the world cup added-on time.
Felt like you actually got what you sat down to watch, rather than an hour of football and about half an hour of watching some Spanish lad roll around on the floor like he’d taken a machete to the ankle.

Which teams will struggle? Newcastle were my initial thought.

Unread 08-08-2023, 09:52 AM
jem

making it clear to teams that they won't benefit from wasting time as it will just be added on makes sense. actually punishing people for wasting time makes sense. maybe losing players for added time would be better? you wasted 3 minutes? you clearly didn't want to play it. you don't get to play it. and, if you get subbed off, the penalty falls on someone else.

I am not sure that 90 minutes of play makes sense. breaks in play are part of the game.

added time is fun. but really?

Unread 08-08-2023, 09:53 AM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
It was the best part of the World Cup last year. Within a few games all the teams had stopped timewasting because they knew it was pointless.
Agree.

Unread 08-08-2023, 09:56 AM
armchair

Quote:
Premier League (England)

Average time ball is in play 54:49

% of match ball in play 55.9%
https://www.90min.com/posts/how-long...r-league-match

They are going to have to clarify what will be added on.

Unread 08-08-2023, 10:09 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
Within a few games all the teams had stopped timewasting because they knew it was pointless.
did that happen?

Unread 08-08-2023, 10:13 AM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
did that happen?
Yeah.

Unread 08-08-2023, 10:31 AM
wiganste

It'll be a pain in the arse for the 8pm games. Lots of people will miss part of the game because there'll be trains to catch etc.

Unread 08-08-2023, 10:32 AM
Travis Bickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
https://www.90min.com/posts/how-long...r-league-match

They are going to have to clarify what will be added on.
And therein lies one of the difficulties. Even with clarification the rules will still be subject to the interpretation of the referee. Taking an age over a corner, free-kick etc. will presumably still be okay. Injuries, substitutions, red cards, VAR reviews should be obvious and the clock should be stopped.

What about taking the ball into the corner to run the clock down? Like a few here have said, punish blatant time wasting with a yellow and go for the rugby clock model when play is stopped.

Unread 08-08-2023, 10:35 AM
flixton

The average injury time in the Championship last weekend was 10 minutes. I reckon it will settle down to this in the way that it used to 3 minutes.

Unread 08-08-2023, 10:39 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Bickle
What about taking the ball into the corner to run the clock down?
can't really add on time, if the ball is in play. if you are not trying to play the ball, though, it should be a free kick for obstruction.

Unread 08-08-2023, 10:53 AM
Ethers

It’s shit. I know a lot of people enjoyed it during the World Cup, but I said at the time I didn’t. Lots of players were absolutely £#%&!ed by the end of it, the quality often dipped, resulting in stupid goals conceded.

I don’t know how you can think players are already being forced to play too often, and moan about the increased injury risk as a result, and then think adding on over 10% to the playing time of the average game won’t have a similar effect.

Unread 08-08-2023, 11:02 AM
armchair

The thing is the ball shouldn't be in play for 90 minutes a game. You can't take throw-ins, gks, fks, corners instantaneously. They'll always take a certain amount of time even if you are trying to take them as quickly as possible.

Unread 08-08-2023, 11:07 AM
est.1878

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
It'll be a pain in the arse for the 8pm games. Lots of people will miss part of the game because there'll be trains to catch etc.
Good point. Plus lots of kids who can just about get away with getting home 1030 school night won't get it passed if past 11...

Unread 08-08-2023, 11:14 AM
ZiggyStardust

It's a cop out for refs
Rather than have them deal with time wasting they're instead adding on a ridiculous amount of time on

They would be better off putting a time limit on goal kicks, corners, free kicks and throw-ins
If you don't take it in a set period of time then it changes over to the opposition

Not sure what you can do about players faking injury at the end of games other than add that time on

Unread 08-08-2023, 11:15 AM
Surfers do Charlie

The main annoying thing is players feigning injury and rolling around for minutes on end.

As soon as the ref has to stop play for an injury the clock should be stopped by an additional timekeeper and then restarted when play resumes.

It would be (a bit ) interesting to see a breakdown of where the missing time goes - throw-ins, goal kicks, subs etc.
Closed Thread